PSA: Don't use Rain-X Windshield Washing Fluid (the orange stuff) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

PSA: Don't use Rain-X Windshield Washing Fluid (the orange stuff)

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by peterp, Mar 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I understand Shell has sold the Products Group that included RainX and Black Magic polishes.

I like the wipe on glass treatments, but I use a glass cleaner concentrate for industrial cleaning.
    No idea is I have a low level sensor...maybe the Cadillac

2. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert

3. jack Dully

jack Dully Rookie

Feb 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    John P. Dully
    I didn't know I had a sensor on the windshield tank,I never saw it lit before with a low level chime,like a seat belt off, bonging away but the tank was almost to the top,crazy !

4. jack Dully

jack Dully Rookie

Feb 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    John P. Dully
    I'm not sure whether its the new Bosch blades or the Rain-X but there's no blade noise and the visibility is great though,after 2 days of 24 hr rain,up North,here

5. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

My issue with Rain-x is not the sensor ... it is the film it leaves on the windows after some use and at night when raining, lights from other cars creates a glare.

I will just stick to the blue juice that does not bead off quite as well, but at least I do not get the nighttime rain glare.

6. jack Dully

jack Dully Rookie

Feb 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    John P. Dully
    Understood,I have been using this Rain-X for about a year but I cleaned my glass with Alcohol and put 2 new Bosch Icon blades on.We have had 2 solid days of drizzle and heavy rain and the visibility has been outstanding,day or night.I will go back to maybe Prestone or the cheaper blue stuff,after flushing the Rain-X out and see if the sensor responds,back to normalcy,again or I'll just snip the lead ins.I read that there was some kind of law suit about the product and some one got $0.12 in a settlement for a new Audi sensor,you gotta laugh !

7. jack Dully

jack Dully Rookie

Feb 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    John P. Dully

8. jack Dully

jack Dully Rookie

Feb 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    John P. Dully
    You might want to try Invisible glass sold on Amazon,Their glass cleaner is very good,no ammonia ,leaving no streaks for the inside and outside of your windows.They also make a glass cleaner/repel spray bottle, which gets outstanding reviews as compared to Rain-X for external windows and its beading does not leave any glare.In addition they do make an all season concentrate that you can add the beading to your favorite washer tank fluid.I would use alcohol to remove the old Rain-X residue off your windshield first.It's worth a shot,if you want to bother

9. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Thanks for that. Both vehicles we used Rain-x on have been sold previously, so the nighttime glare issue when raining/snowing is gone. I did give a heavy dose off rubbing alcohol treatment back then to help things out.

10. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    I would highly recommend the Sonax glass cleaner. I really, really like the Pinnacle black label glass treatment, it goes on and wipes off easy. It doesn’t shed quiet as well as RainX but it lasts for months and months. I would recommend anyone who tries it as a treatment lookup a video showing its application, you are VERY sparing with product, RainX users tend to over apply in my experience.

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Here in rainy Seattle, I use Aquapel on my daily driver....lasts about 10 months before requiring reapplication

12. CCRider66

CCRider66 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Sussex, WI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I didn't know I had a reservoir for windshield washer fluid :rolleyes: If you need your wipers, your not driving fast enough :p
    Seriously, I drive my 360 daily and even in the rain. I have never put any fluid in the reservoir in the 5 yrs I've owned it and 20,000 miles.