Pulled the trigger...I've got a 456 again. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Pulled the trigger...I've got a 456 again.

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ccr2002, Jun 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    congrats on the 456, i love these purchase threads!

2. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Try Novitec wheels - definitely best looking combo IMHO, 575 rims are too thin and expose the small rotor - in addition you get more rubber in the rear (355/25 19R) :) BMC is a good option BTW, keep us posted on the exhaust choice, I have tried to pick a exhaust combo that doesn't drone - had Sterbo ... disaster.... never heard a car sound so loud and bad! Complete waste of money. Lowering the car is pretty simple and helps fill the arches!

Good luck!

3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    nice ! looks familiar...
    the one with 575 wheels and lowered suspension looks good too. wish i could get that done too.

4. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    seems normal even on many that were 'fixed'. Trying addressing the inner runners as you can usually play with the window to test: palm on either side of glass, and you can move the glass about, in the up position...may mean adjustments can help.

but

it's a feature, but would like to know if you solve it....been meaning to tear my driver's side apart to fix my gap.

AND

if you do a search you'll find the driver's side almost always seem to be the one with the gap...I am beginning to think spec differences on that glass mold or the body side or such.
    hmmm.

5. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    The more I see the 456 the more I like it. It's just a beautiful car

6. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    The last handsome Ferrari?

7. ccr2002

ccr2002 Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Salt Lake City, UT
    More on the windows...thanks for the suggestions. I'm not an expert at all, but Zach at Harris Imports has done a lot of these and this is what he showed/told me as we took my window door apart. First he thought that the window sliders wear out...these are little plastic parts that ferrari has no part number for and doesn't sell separately. I was reading in my 456 book that the window regulator was a BMW design to try and fix the more problematic window in the 456 GT, the M wasn't as bad or as difficult to fix, and may have been originally for the 850 which has a no frame window design also. Anyway, another mechanic at Harris used to work at BMW and noticed that the slider looked exactly the same as the ones from a E36. So i went and bought two of them. With crossed fingers, these were replaced in my regulator but unfortunately the small few mm gap persisted. After looking at the regulator there are so many hinges and joints with rivets that can't be tighted and each can add a micron of play so that the whole thing adds up to a few mm gap. I don't think it could have been rebuilt. Furthermore, he knows how to adjust all the points of adjustment and he said they were already maxed out. It did not look like they had been worked on before...just that way from the factory. He switched out the new regulator, saved my motor which was costly, now they're perfect. He thinks that the only reason the driver side fails is that it is used more...makes sense to me. I'll try and get you the parts..by the way, there is one on ebay right now under "buy it now seller" or ebay stores or something. It was cheaper than the option given me by the dealer (which i think had a new motor) by about $1000. Of course labor was more to replace the motor etc.

Well, it's driving great...just the suspension fault light on, but most of the guys at the dealer who have driven the 456 before love the feeling of the new steering ECU and the front 550 shocks.

I'll post the part numbers, they can be found on ricambi's excellent site, though.

8. ccr2002

ccr2002 Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Salt Lake City, UT
    the M series only has the two settings normal and sport. i'll try and get the part numbers tonight
    ccr

9. Driftracer3

Driftracer3 Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    CCS... empty out some PMs! Your inbox is full.

10. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA

Interesting: Typically, I know that BOSCH or other parts from German cars swap nicely into Ferraris, as I did such with Mondial T switches that would have been 5 times the price had I gone with Ferrari, but same exact switch from Bosch came in a f few bucks.

I also, in a previous post, thought the gap on driver's side was due to more frequent use, thus more wear.

I will look into the mechanism also, as another Ferrari mech. stated those runners were junk. I was thinking of replacing small, high tensil air-craft type screws/bolts etc. for those rivets...but, quite a project.

GOOD NEWS IS you got it fixed!!! gives me hope.
    thanks for that update....it's going to help all us 456 GTer types.

rik