Purchasing 2008 F430 manual | FerrariChat

Purchasing 2008 F430 manual

Discussion in '360/430' started by Sylvainsm, Jan 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sylvainsm

Sylvainsm Karting

Aug 18, 2017
    Los Angeles
    im sure this subject has been talked about many times on the board but I am in the process of buying a 2008 F430 spider manual. Fully optioned with ceramic brakes and all.
    It only has 4500 miles but want to know what should I look out for and have the mechanic/shop doing the PPI check for?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    So scroll down a little and look at some of the other identical threads.......

One specific point is that your car is probably a garage queen so make sure it does not have the original tires unless you too do not intend to drive it

whatheheck likes this.
  3. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Just a note, I'm pretty sure the 08's came with ceramic brakes... somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

4. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I have had my 07 430 manual for 3 years now. Gets driven every week. Has 18k miles now.
    Mine wouldn't shift into 2nd or 6th above 4000rpm. Hill engineering shifter clevis bush fixed that. Inexpensive. OEM plastic one was broken.
    Replaced headers, one was cracked. Very common.
    Lower exhaust brackets cracked. Very common. Binned mine, the car does not need them. They hold the exhaust rigid which causes the headers to crack.
    That's all for me in 3 years.
    Check water pump for leaks. The whole unit is very expensive. A member here has seal kits for a few hundred. (mine is still ok)
    Check all other seals for leaks. Front and rear crank seals, cam cover gaskets, front cover etc. This car has sat for periods of time.
    All suspension bushes and ball joints need checking.
    A good PPI should cover all this and much more. A header about to fail is hard to spot.
    As above check dates on tires.
    Good luck.

whatheheck likes this.
  5. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
    Blacktop Racing, you are correct. Carbon ceramic brakes are standard on 08's. In fact I am pretty sure they are standard on all models of 2008 Ferrari.

6. dreichman

dreichman Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Cars that don’t get driven leak. Try to stay on top of that. Otherwise it could get expensive.

7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    That is actually incorrect. They were still an option in 2008 but at some point around then Ferrari said that you "had" to order them with the ceramic brakes. Not enough people were ordering the ceramic brake option so Ferrari forced their hand. You can speculate whether it was because of too much supply or the much wanted margin of the ceramic brakes or something but the fact is, it was still technically an option and you needed to pay extra for it.

I know this because I ordered an F430 new and shortly after my slot came up, FNA started telling clients that they had to spec the ceramic brakes. It was much talked about.

8. Sylvainsm

Sylvainsm Karting

Aug 18, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Thank you very much for the advice, I decided to send it to a Ferrari dealer for a full PPI including engine compression test.

whatheheck likes this.
  9. Aeroman

Aeroman Karting

Nov 8, 2013
    DFW Texas
    That's an interesting statement regarding ceramic brakes on 2008 models. Every 2008 window sticker I've seen lists them as standard equipment. Maybe it changed in the middle of the year. Here's one example:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    It's very possible they changed it late or in the middle. Initially when it became as "must order" option, MSRP was unchanged so the CCB's were additional cost. I suppose they had to wait until they could do a pricing change before they became standard.

11. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Exhaust brackets for sure and don’t assume all 2008 models came with MKII headers. My 2008 came with MKIs that we’re replaced under warranty sometime in 2009. Find as many service records as possible and share them with whoever is doing the PPI. Even if there aren’t any service records with the car you can track some of them down using Carfax and then contacting the dealers and service shops. It takes a little begging because they have to redact the prior owner information but it’s worth having the records. Also make sure the inspector checks motor and trans mounts and the leather dash. Good luck and it will all be worth it once you are behind the wheel!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
    Like Aeroman, the window sticker on my 08 430 also shows the cc brakes as standard. Mine has a May 2008 build date. And like cfensty, mine came with MK1s that were replaced under warranty. There were still bracket issues - so I installed the Capristo brackets 3 years ago and no problems since.

13. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I have a July 2007 car which should be one of the later 2007 cars and it has steel brakes.

14. Sylvainsm

Sylvainsm Karting

Aug 18, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Yeah I just got the window sticker from seller and the CCBs were standard on that car.

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    CCMs became standard on the F430 and 599 around Fall 2007. Early 08 612s still had them as optional until the 612 OTO was introduced in Spring 2008 when CCMs became standard. Sessantas had standard CCMs in 2007, but that was a limited edition of 60 that served as the prototypes for the 612 OTO.

Image Unavailable, Please Login