Purchasing a used car in Florida… | FerrariChat

Purchasing a used car in Florida…

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by SAFE4NOW, Jul 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    ….Selling independent dealer is telling me that I have to pay him 7% sales tax, even though I live in Texas.

Paying cash.

I’ll bring my own Texas temporary tag.

Has anybody else purchased a vehicle from Florida ,that lives in another state,recently that can chime in, did you have to pay Florida taxes?

My experience, a bit many years ago, was that I only paid the price of the car and paid all of my TT you know when I got back to Texas with the car and registered it.

Steve

Rexcat458 likes this.
  2. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Taxes are paid to the state where it's registered not to the state where it's bought.

rampante550, Rexcat458 and SAFE4NOW like this.
  3. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    It’s usually people who don’t know what they’re doing and are just scared. Find it in the Florida tax code and show it to them (it easy to find). Even that won’t be enough for some guys (who can’t admit they’re wrong). But there’s almost always someone at a dealership who knows the law and will concede. Find that guy.

You don’t owe it.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  4. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    I once bought a boat in Ohio. The broker refused to sell it to me without collecting sales tax. I actually had to call the state revenue commissioner. He was kind enough to call the broker to tell him to sell me the boat without collecting the tax. The broker wanted it in writing from his office lol.

5. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Thank you for everyone's replies, seller wasn't budging, I passed on the deal.

S

JL350, NYC Fred, rampante550 and 3 others like this.
  6. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    That is absolutely correct.

7. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    You were right to do that! How can they not know the law, or just trying to extort money from an out-of-state buyer?

Here’s the law (Florida government) for a vehicle that is delivered to another State or to a carrier that picks up the car for delivery to another State:

What is Exempt?
    Examples of motor vehicle sales that are exempt from sales and use tax (exemption documentation required to be maintained by the dealer):
    • A Florida registered motor vehicle dealer buys a motor vehicle for resale or lease.
    • The motor vehicle dealer delivers the vehicle to a purchaser outside of Florida.
    • The motor vehicle dealer delivers the vehicle to a common carrier, licensed exporter, or freight
    forwarder for shipment outside of Florida.
    • An out-of-state dealer who does not have a Florida sales tax number buys a motor veh

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  8. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    A convenient ignorance!

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  9. sblvro

sblvro Karting

May 13, 2013
    Arkansas, FL, MI
    they can collect the tax but they have to write you a check of equivalent amount that you give to dmv to register.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  10. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    About 10 years ago I bought a car from a Ford dealer in Daytona Beach. I paid for the tag there and in about a month I received the tag registered in my state.

11. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    If you are going there to pick it up you would pay them tax, they would need to deliver it out of state for no tax. At least that is how it works in California.