Purchasing Gun for Wife | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Purchasing Gun for Wife

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Roell, Jul 19, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim

Two words "Coach Gun"

2. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Following up on Carbon's theme... How much life insurance do you have?

3. ROLOcr

ROLOcr Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Costa Rica
    Full Name:
    ROLO
    Both those guns have SEVERE weight issues, the P7 is the fastes loading gun in the wold(just by squeezing the handle) excelent gun but TOO heavy

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    I keep two knives in my apartment; one by my bed and one by the door (hidden). These are the two places a confrontation is most likely in the event that someone should break in.

I don't own a gun, can't afford one and am afraid of what I might do if I had one, so the knives are it. If I'm up against someone with a gun, all I can do is hope for the best. When it's your time to go, it's your time to go...

Knives are simple, light and can be used in several ways. If you miss, there's no concern of hitting someone else on the other side of the wall. Even a child can effectively stab someone with a knife, so there's not a whole lot of training/preparation involved...

For those uncomfortable with guns, I second the knife suggestion...

5. jplayer521

jplayer521 Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    Jason
    about three years ago when I had my first two riffles and my shotgun. SKS and AK then the mossberg, someone broke into my first appartment. My sks and mossberg were laying on the floor field stripped as I had just went to the range and was going to clean them. I poped in the AK mag and racked it back. I prayed he didnt have a gun as I knew I couldnt shoot the ak in my little appartment because it was going to go thru walls and possibly kill my neighbors (family with two kids) I walked out to my kitchen with my flashlight and AK. Low and behold the guy (around 20) had my pots and pans out and some food and was trying to cook it. He was drunk and broke into my app because he thought it was his. I said get down on the floor right now and keep your hands where I can see them. He laid on the floor while I dialed 911 and I screamed at him for the maybe min or 2 it took for the cops to show up. BTW that was an intresting 911 call "911 whats your emergency, Yes somone broke into my appt I have them at gunpoint laying on the floor" the kid ended up getting arrested, I did not file charges but I still think he ended up with some community service or something. Anyway about a week after the incident he came over to my appt and appoligized for the incident and told me that he has nightmears of me with an ak47 ready to kill him :) to this day when i hear a noise in my house I think OH **** IS SOMONE TRYING TO COOK SOME DAMM FOOD :)

6. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    Here's your alarm system & 'protection' system: Get two Rottweilers and be done with it.

7. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't mean to sound condescending, but who do you train? In almost everyone's case, an encounter with an intruder is going to be a VERY stressful situation. Under extreme stress, it is VERY difficult for highly trained people (police, military, etc) to shoot accurately, let alone your average Joe. I would be willing to bet that if this guy's wife (and most people in general) were put in a hostile situation where she was forced to fire, she would close her eyes before taking the shot. It's just a natural instinct for most people. Try closing your eyes and shooting accurately with your hollow points and pistol, then try it with a shotgun. Which one are you going to stake your life on? As for stealth, why in the world would I want to sneak around my own house with an inconspicuous weapon? If an intruder is in my home, you can bet that I WANT them to know that I have a firearm. Announcing that you have one and working the pump once will send 99.9% of intruders out of your home at a VERY high rate of speed. For that other 0.1% of the time, I'll be happy that my shotgun is a more effective defense weapon.

As for the info about shotgun pellets passing through walls, which type of rounds are you talking about? Buck shot would have a decent chance of passing through, but not some #6 or 7 shot. On the off chance that a pellet or two passed through two layers of drywall (minimum), it's not going to have much energy left to do anything.

For those who point out recoil concerns, no one said that his wife had to have a 12 gauge shotgun. She's much better off using a smaller gun that she can hit something with than a large one that she can't handle effectively. FWIW, anyone who puts a shotgun pistol in the hands of a novice is most likely going to keep that person from wanting to shoot anything again.

That statistic about guns in the home being 22 times more likely to kill a friend or family member is garbage. As pointed out earlier, it includes suicides. It's also a totally one-sided argument for anti-gun folks. It does not calculate the number of times more likely a person is to survive an intrusion because he or she has that same gun for protection.

Firearm ownership is a personal choice. There are a lot of people that have absolutely no business owning a gun, for a myriad of reasons. For the rest of us, they offer a lot of benefits.

8. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Just to be fair to the anti-gun crowd's way of thinking, we better toss out the doggie option. How many kids are killed by dogs each year???? I'd bet that it is a far higher number than those who are accidentally killed by firearms. Forget about the companionship and protection that they offer, dogs are flat out dangerous!

Note: this message is laced with sarcasm

9. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Mike--by "train" I think he was talking about aiming--swinging the weapon to acquire the target. Nevertheless I agree that a shotgun, for the average person, is the home defense gunpowder powered weapon of choice (though I still think a can a bear spray is a better choice for lots of folks in lots of situations).

In the book "Freakanomics" the authors point out that far more kids are killed in swimming pools than by guns. Yet, if you gave most parents the choice of sending there kids to a house "with a loaded gun" or to a house "with a swimming pool" it is likely they would choose the pool. All these situations ignore issues like is the gun locked up, are the kids being constantly monitored, etc., etc.

Having said all of that, I'll come clean. I have a can of bear spray next to the bed, a 20 gauge under it, and when hiking I carry a S&W titanium .357.

10. ROLOcr

ROLOcr Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Costa Rica
    Full Name:
    ROLO
    shotguns are the ULTIMATE home defense gun!.You don't even have to buy a 12 GA one, a 16 GA one could work, with less recoil and less weigth it would be perfect for a girl to use it

plus 8 snake is rigth about the accuracy issue, with a shotgun if you see a thief in the back yard, you just aim thru a window and shot, and he will drop to the floor and you didn't put yourself in harmsway by actually going outside to get a better shot at him
    i have a couple of 12GAs here, the BEST CHOICE I HAVE MADE IN MY LIFE!

11. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Incorrect. It is fact.

True. That is part of the risk of having a gun in the house. Especially with children (granted, not infants.)

Not necessarily. I'm not anti-gun. I don't want excessive gun control. (since the word "excessive" likely raised eyebrows, I dont see the need for fully-automatic weapons).

Also, I believe the arguement that if you outlaw guns only the criminals will have them and we will all be worse off. Pandora's box is open. too late to close it, IMO.

I agree.

But for you to pretend there is no risk to having a gun in the house defies common sense and statistics.

12. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would be extremely careful about shooting someone OUTSIDE of your home. Unless you can prove that your life was in immanent danger and that you had no other choice but to fire, you're going to jail for that one.

13. ROLOcr

ROLOcr Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Costa Rica
    Full Name:
    ROLO

NOT HERE IN COSTA RICA, there is a law called legitimate defense that states that anyone that breaks in your house has intention of harming you, so you have the rigth to shoot him, because HE HAS NO BUISNESS BEING IN YOUR HOUSE!

It is not like the lawsuit crazy USA that if you shoot a thief in your house he get money

here, if you killed the guy, you go to trail, prove that he was breaking in and you loose the trail by default BUT immediatly you get a pardon from the state because you defended you life, BUT if you shot him outside , YOU' RE SCREWED

14. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike

Easy there, this statement goes way beyond what I said. I specifically said that firearm ownership is NOT for everyone. If you can't handle the responsibility, don't keep one in your home. I weighed the risks/rewards and decided that I'm safer dispensing 12 gauge pallets at attackers than biased statistics. You may feel otherwise and you have every right to that opinion.

Dang it, most of my responses appear up in your quote instead of separately as I had intended them to.

15. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Didn't you just restate exactly what I said? Shooting someone OUTSIDE your home will land you in jail, unless you can prove that your life was in immanent danger.

16. carless

carless Formula Junior

May 20, 2005
    So. Ca.
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I am as pro gun as you can get, but I would not have a gun for home defense without advanced training and practice at least one to two times a week. As for a gun she must go to a range and try all types and calibers to find something she feels comfortable with. Then live at the range for the first six months. IMHO most people can not handle a gun properly, and under high stress only a trained very disciplined individual has a chance. And with kids in the house they will find anything you try to hide. All firearms must be secure at all times.

17. jplayer521

jplayer521 Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I happen to think if it is out there and a criminal could have it then us citizens who abide by the law should legally be allowed to have them. Also please tell me if you have ever rapid fired a semi auto assult riffle vs an automatic riffle. If so you would understand it will do the same amount of damage. + with minimal effort with an ak47 you can make it automatic legally by holding the gun a certain way and letting the recoil do the trick. I have several class three weapons. I have class three automatic weapons with suppressors...... why because it is my right to do so and I enjoy it. Check out a gun forum especially ar15 there are many people who feel strong about the subject. What I will never get is the fact that the majority of politicians who are against weapons happen to have CCW permits and hunting permits. And for those that dont I will bet any amount that their body quards are carrying a firearm. That being said I wish the gun was never invented if criminals didnt have guns there would be no need for me to have a gun.

18. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    The guy who inked my second tattoo spent time in prison for manslaughter... Someone broke into his home and he chased the guy outside and killed him; had he done it in the house, he wouldn't have spent a day in jail...

19. ROLOcr

ROLOcr Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Costa Rica
    Full Name:
    ROLO

isn't YOUR LAWN part OF YOUR HOUSE, i'll rephrase, you CAN shoot someone in you property

20. 65Matt

65Matt Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Matt
    It wasn't self defense if he was chasing the guy down and shooting him (probably in the back)!!!

You can argue about semantics with the prosecutor while you're on trial for murder.

21. ROLOcr

ROLOcr Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Costa Rica
    Full Name:
    ROLO
    nope, they can argue about it, it has been proven so many times that as soon as a stranger breaks in your property he is guilty PERIOD

22. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Matt; he didn't shoot him, he killed him with his bare hands... And I think we'd all be pretty hard-pressed to find just about anyone who could keep their cool after someone invaded their privacy on that level... If I were a homeowner - and maybe had a family - I can't say I wouldn't do the same if someone broke into my house... Fleeing or not, I have no idea why they were there and whether or not they'll come back at a later date...

23. fastliz

fastliz Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2005
    Palm Bch County, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike
  24. Lip Service

Lip Service Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2005
  25. fastliz

fastliz Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2005
    Palm Bch County, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Please define "fully automatic" and then tell us what it takes to get one.