Purchasing Gun for Wife | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Purchasing Gun for Wife

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Roell, Jul 19, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ha, that's funny. You tell all the criminals that law abiding citizens can no longer own firearms and watch what happens. Several states have passed legislation allowing citizens to apply for permits to carry concealed weapons. Violent crime rates DROPPED in each of those states after the legislation passed.

Criminals can't own guns now, what is more gun control going to help prevent???????????????????????????

You haven't supplied a fact yet that serves any better purpose than to wipe my a@@ with. How many lives are saved each year due to the use of a firearm? You will never get a true statistic. Wanna know why???? These incidents are rarely reported and even more seldom documented. Again, quit painting with such broad strokes and tell me specifically WHICH gun control laws you want to see put in place. Tell me what they will do to help reduce violent crime.

I would bet your CS that more than one citizen of Hong Kong has a gun.

Lets take your argument and put it in a different context. The US has more deaths from sports cars than any other country. We have more sports cars than any other country, and as a result of that we have more deaths. Obviously, we must pass legislation to get sports cars off our highways to help save lives. Time for you to fork over your CS before someone gets killed.

I didn't inherit the right, but it is my inherent right to own a gun as an American citizen. I'll gladly take my chances and maintain my freedom.

2. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's not gun control, that is ENFORCEMENT of current legislation. I have absolutely no problem with stiff penalties for violating current laws. Lets actually do this and see what happens.

I have to register before buying a handgun now. Your logic that it will take 50% of the guns off the street is already proven wrong. Next...

God didn't give me the right to own a gun, the founding fathers of this country did. If you don't like it, Hong Kong is a plane ticket away.

Please, let me inside the utopian society in which you live. Come up with a decent idea and then support it. I want SPECIFIC details of a plan to prevent these violent deaths. Give me a reason to at least take you seriously before you put me in a bubble and write me off.

3. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It's called ENFORCEMENT of current laws, not the creation of new laws for criminals to ignore.

Every gun that I buy is registered.

In order for me to get a permit to carry a concealed weapon in the state of Missouri I must take a training class with a certified instructor.

Spout out some statistics showing me how many people used legally registered firearms to commit violent crimes. Then spout some statistics showing me how many people used legally registered firearms to protect themselves from people who attempted to use illegal firearms (or no firearms at all) against them.

4. TinaDK

TinaDK F1 World Champ

Jun 23, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Tina Poulsen
    Yes we do, why? :)

5. TinaDK

TinaDK F1 World Champ

Jun 23, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Tina Poulsen
    True.. that I have never heard! :) But that's why I asked... I do not JUDGE.. but I ASK ;)
    I know that I sit a LOT of miles away from America.. and that I only know a small part of what happens over there...

I just wondered, because I FEEL that there isn't as much crime in Denmark, and also no need for selfprotection of that kind (firearms). All I know of is that we use alarmsystems in houses, but that's more because of common thiefs.... not murderers :)
    And we're not allowed to have firearms in the house unless we have a lincense for it... practise... and a safe to keep it in. (if I remember our law correct) ;)

6. TinaDK

TinaDK F1 World Champ

Jun 23, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Tina Poulsen
    Thanks for writing all this... I just asked because I try to understand :)
    Maybe I sound naive... but then it's only because I come from a smaller country with much much less crime. And therefore I'm not used to think that way!
    All over Denmark the police are pretty close I guess... the distances isn't that big.

I just wanted to find out who widespread crime was over there.. and same with firearms in private houses :) I am not judging here...

7. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    No spinning. You choose to focus on firearms deaths; but a violent death is a violent death, doesn't matter whether it is firearms, knife, bludgeon, or whatever. I gave more detailed numbers to supplement your incomplete ones; readers can draw their own conclusions.

8. TinaDK

TinaDK F1 World Champ

Jun 23, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Tina Poulsen
    Mike, thanks a lot for explaining :)
    Hunting and shooting sports, is popular here too... but you still have to get a license... and in a lot of shooting clubs, you'll have to leave your weapon in a safe there.
    So before anybody missunderstand me here... I also like shooting sports and hunting... that's a whole other thing.
    What scares me a bit is all those weapons in private homes...
    I can't see myself with a gun in the nightstand.... maybe because of the place that I live..
    I might have a different view on this if I lived somewhere else :)

Sorry for taking up so much space in this thread.. I just got curious!! :)

9. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You're quite welcome. I respect you for asking questions to gain a better understanding of something that you're not familiar with. I would be happy to answer any questions that you had and enjoy hearing your input as well.

10. fastliz

fastliz Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2005
    Palm Bch County, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Funny you should make that "modest proposal." The legalization or decriminalization of drugs / narcotics would be the BIGGEST step in reducing violence in the U.S. More gun laws will do absolutely nothing.

Many try to equate the # of guns available with the level of violence. I'm surprised to see that nobody has factored in CULTURE. Americans are a culture BORN OF VIOLENCE. Our country came to be because of violence (against England and Native Americans). We are a nation of cowboys. We are a nation of independents who prefer to ride alone and not be bothered by ANYONE. We depend on ourselves to not be taken advantage of. And, we relish that independence and self-reliance. You can criticize our culture all you want, but it is what it is. Don't like it? Leave, because it will not ever change. It's no more likely, IMO, to happen than a peaceful democracy in Iraq. It's CULTURE, folks.

The DOJ did a survey of prison inmates and asked them what they feared MOST when committing a crime. Their #1 fear???? It wasn't fear of the police. It wasn't fear of getting caught and doing time in prison. The #1 fear is an ARMED VICTIM.

Mike

11. BOG

BOG Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 30, 2006
    It's called the 2nd Amendment baby.....use it or lose it.

12. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    The city of Philadelphia just did a project like that. If you turned in any gun, you recieved something like 50 bucks in return. No questions asked. A myriad of guns ranging from .22 handguns to AK47s were turned in and melted down to make playgrounds. But, the project was stopped sometime in November because it yielded no real results. During the time the project ran, the gun violence rate never even fluctuated. In fact, at the beginning of this year the city had close to 180 violent crimes (mostly gun related) in 100 days. So you see the idea has already been tried, it has failed. My statement still holds true that if a criminal really wants a gun, they will be able to get one. Even if there is regulation.

13. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    .45 long-slide, with laser sighting. Uzi 9mm. 12 gauge autoloader.

Ideal for home defence.

14. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris

No sense in continuing this discussion until you address the numbers. You claim I haven't supplied facts. Until you discuss how in the USA has highest homicides by handguns in the world is better than Britian which has a much lower rate you're just spinning your wheels.

Read the daily newspapers in major cities, it'll tell you where the homicides are coming from. It surely are not from homeowner kill burglar defending his home, mugging victim killing mugger, or shopowner shooting mugger. They come from:

-mugger shooting victim
    -gang member shoot other gang member or innocent victim
    -road rage
    -jealous boyfriend/husband shoot gf/wife/other party
    -accidental shooting at home
    -shooting at clubs
    -crazy postal workers
    -psycho gun toting high schoolers
    -criminal shooting police
    etc......

Then try count the number of times a gun was successful used to defend oneself. I guarantee you all newspapers pick up on these stories, they definitely do not go unreported.

15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns just make it easier.

Its a very simple and conveniant tool to use in a crime. You can shoot the person from across the room, wait for them to fall over, remove wallet from pocket, without any danger to you!! What more could you want? Its simply amazing what it can do!! All ya gotta do is point this thing at sombody, ask for some money and they will just hand it over! Incrediable!! Who needs to work when you have a gun? Life is amazing!

I can pretend to be John Wayne,, or,, or 50-cent, or, or, Clint eastwood, or even a really cool tough guy in the movies! Yea..I'm gonna get me a gun, and become another gun slinging trigger happy yankee!! YYYYYEEEEEE HAAAAAAA!

16. Vang

Vang Formula Junior

May 5, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Clearly, you don't know the first thing about what you're discussing.

17. TinaDK

TinaDK F1 World Champ

Jun 23, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Tina Poulsen
    Thanks a lot :) I was beginning to feel hated in here ;)
    I'm just a curious person that never jumps conclutions untill I have tried to ask directly to LEARN :)
    So if I have any more questions, I'll ask for sure :)

18. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Sorry; I thought it was obvious that the "kneed" item was a joke. And spelling errors in quotes are satirical.

I may get caught up in the difference between british and yank spelling on defence, fibre, and rallye,
    but at least I know the difference between "loser" women and "looser" women. :D
    (Also "heel & toe" versus "heal & tow". :p)

19. fastliz

fastliz Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2005
    Palm Bch County, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    An IMPORTANT distinction! LOL!

Mike

20. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #171 thecarreaper, Jul 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    the simple answer is to get a nice 12ga shotgun. handguns will require training. semiautomativ handguns in a "safe" mode becasue of children in the house become VERY hard to rack and load under the stress of an attact. 9mm as a caliber is too dangerous in a home environment. a 9mm round, even a hollow point, tends to go right through the bad guy, transfering little energy and then endangering the rest of the family, neighbors ect.
    a revolver would be the best choice in handguns. a .38, .41 with frangible rounds would be choice. the benift of a handgun is it can be kept loaded for long periods of time, without the rounds bing held in a spring powered magazine, like a semi auto. the drawback to a revolver is it would hard to make " safe" while loaded without fumbling for a trigger lock or trying to load the thing under stress with tunnel vision and adreniline.

a 12 ga shotgun can be kept with an empty chamber, safety ON and a full tube of shells. small children up to the age of 7 or so would not be able to pull the pump slide back on thier own to chamber a round. also many shoguns can accept a shell carrier that mounts on the outside of the gun to allow you a choice of load. #8 shot is statistically the best in a close quarters home defense. it will be leathal on an attacter(s) at close range , while not over penatrating, risking life and property of others. only in the most dire situation would you load a Slug round or 00 buck.

the meare site and sound of a 12ga pump racking a round into the chamber stops 995 of most bad situations , before they become deadly.

shotgun pics:

also, if things ever get REALLY BAD!!!!

a mounted Browning 1919 .30 belt fed machine gun. :) with BATF papers, of course.....

i have not read through all 4 pages of the thread due to time... but i wish you and your wife /family well.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Where do you get one of those? Where can you buy the Ammunition you need?

22. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    I have one for ya. How come when there is a murder, rape where a gun is involved, a mad rapage type shooting, or maybe where a child is killed in a accident with a firearm the news is all over it. Splashing headlines all over the place. I even seen news reports about some type of crime where no gun is involved but there will be a picture behind the news reporter of a handgun. BUT. When was the last time you ever saw a firearm reported on in a "good" story? Like maybe a person protected himself from some drugged up robber, or a woman protected herself and prevented a rape, or like maybe some elderly couple stopped some kook burgler from entering their home. Never happens. you think there might be a little mmmmmmmmmmm biased here.

23. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

my 1919A6 fires with a handcrank in legal full auto, or it can fire semi auto. i am using an incorrect German ( gasp!) WWII anti aircraft mount, as the original 1919 mount is for prone shooting and i rather expensive. ( i only shoot at paper targets at a private range!) the basic 1919 is around $1000.00 + accessories, which run another $1500. i can change my calibers from .30 NATO to 30-06 ( the original correct caliber) to 8MM Mauser. the firearm uses metal or cloth belts, rate of fire with hand crank is a 250 round belt in 20 seconds. i only use it for paper taget shooting, and have joined up with a local police instuctor to to some video and weapons training for local law enforcement. ammunition runs around $100.00 a belt. aside from my FAA, NTSB , FCC licences, i also have a Curio and Relic FFL. the guns are "needy" and have to be "timed" to fire with one type of ammo to another. i would not want to use it for "combat" as its so old and very heavy. but i do applaud our forefathers who bore it on the battlefields, in aircraft, on tanks and in Jeeps.

sorry for the hijack.

Michael

24. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    A discussion is a two-sided event in which both parties exchange intelligent ideas. I have yet to see this occur, but am holding out hope...

Listen very carefully to this statement: Encounters where guns are used to successfully PROTECT individuals most often go unreported. Even if they are reported to the local police, CNN is most definitely not there to report the story. I don't know why you can not wrap your mind around this FACT, but it is in deed a FACT.

Now, I am going to try approaching this from another angle. You are a hedge fund manager, correct? Do you take statistics and blindly put other people's money behind those statistics without checking their relevance and accuracy? I assume that you do not, so I can not understand for the life of me why you are putting so much weight behind the slanted and biased statistics that you post on this thread. Your statistics are flawed, pure and simple.

The United States has a larger number of guns than England, I will not contest that. The United States has more firearm related deaths than England, I will not refute that. This is my question to you (has been for days now): WHAT DO YOU PROPOSE WE DO ABOUT IT????? Every suggestion that you have offered is currently in place in some form or another, so try doing a bit of research before spouting off more worthless ideas that obviously do not work.

My suggestion would be tougher enforecement on current laws for criminals. Our judicial system is too soft on criminals, making the risk of committing violent crimes too low. We don't need gun control, we need harsher penalties for crimes. As others have said, the biggest fear in a criminal's mind is the possiblity that a potential victim is armed. You take away that fear and watch crime rates spike. That is something you can successfully wager your CS on.