348 - Purge Valve hoses | FerrariChat

348 Purge Valve hoses

Discussion in '348/355' started by steved033, Mar 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    As I was beginning my major service, i noticed that the tiny hoses that go from the intake manifold to the purge valves were really dried out. Mine were fabric wrapped and probably original. I took a small chunk to the auto parts store and bought 3/16" fuel rated line to replace. As i was replacing them, I took a look at the purge valve larger hoses (I think they're 1/4" line, but I can't recall right now) They were in terrible shape too, so I ended up cutting all the crimped fittings and replacing everything. Here's a picture of how bad things are after 30 years. The rubber inside these lines is just flaking apart.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Here's a pic of the after. I don't have a hose crimp for the original band style hose clamps, but I found these little green ones at an Ace Hardware. @ernie noticed when i sent him a pic of the engine going back in. The larger hose clamps were much easier to find. If you're purist, i'm sure the braided hose is out there somewhere, but frankly, it's much easier to see when the rubber cracks without the braid.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

...and that's your Monday tech tip.

sjd

Bertil, Qavion, ernie and 1 other person like this.
  2. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I like it. Looks clean and not entirely bout of place. Not a fan of cloth braided rubber hose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steved033 likes this.
  3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Well done!

steved033 likes this.
  4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Every other major, I redo all of the rubber components in the whole engine bay.

steved033 likes this.