Push Ups | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Push Ups

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Scotty, May 30, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    The ab wheel is great! But if you have back problems, you need to work up to using it.

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Pushups were great for keeping my core toned but recently, during a set, I felt a strange twinge in the lower right lumber area. No pain at the time but it sort of felt like something stretching/unraveling...

About 24 hours later I had the worst lower back pain ever (confined to the right side). Actually, I never had any back pain before. Standing and walking was okay but sitting and laying down was excruciating, lasting for over a week. Two weeks later and it still hurts some while a wrong move causes some shooting pain.

I'm lean and less then well rounded (31" waist with a 32" inseam) with a BMI of 21. Any tips on getting back in gear?

Thanks

3. kdumph

kdumph Karting

Sep 9, 2012
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kit
    You guys using foam rollers to stretch out on at all? I'm in a job thats very physically demanding and we have professional athlete trainers, nutritionist, and physical therapy techs at our fingers. The one thing that they have all brought to the table and has helped me through various overuse and random injuries is a simple 10 dollar hard foam roller. Check it out if you don't use em, I promise it will be time well spent.
    These things enable me to bend over after a heavy day of back work, or walk down stairs after doing 20 sets of leg blasters.

4. billyfitness

billyfitness Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
  5. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    I was trying those decline pushups on the ball last week at the tail end of a boot camp style training session. Did toes on the bench/hands on ball and toes on ball/hands on the ground. Also did toes on the bench/hands on a medicine ball the size of a basketball.

Definitely total core type workouts.

6. jorj

jorj Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 18, 2013
    This is a very good habit push ups has huge benefits.
    It makes you shoulder and arms very strong.
    Biceps comes in shape and muscles gets strong and strength.
    It kills the tummy fat.
    You should continue it as much you can. stay fit

7. maserati_ferrari

Jan 16, 2006
    toronto
    Full Name:
    Marco
    what type of exercises excatly ?

Regards,

Marco.

8. billyfitness

billyfitness Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    Sounds good...however, always make sure the wrists are in a 'neutral' position for any type of pushup, meaning, not in extension as they would be if flat on the ground. If you decide to put your hands near ground, as opposed to down the sides of a ball, use DB's or pushup handles to maintain wrist alignment. Even though pushups have been done for years with hands flat/in ext. it's extremely taxing to the carpals of the forearm.
    -Billy

9. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    I used to do 75 pushups in one set once a week whether I needed it or not. They are more an endurance exercise and at only 25 at a time x 3 could be done every day IMO. It’s not like you are building muscle or riding/running distance – the 2 things needing rest days for. There is nothing like pumping iron for building strength or size. Can you do both endurance & building at one time? Sure but neither exceptionally well. But a happy medium is good.

10. stevew3765

stevew3765 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2012
    Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
    Full Name:
    Steve Wool
    Hi A diet such as? I am 48 And was reading about how sit ups and crunches will only "pop out" the bulge. I have always been lean but, now anything I look at goes right to gut and hips. So, I am on a diet of protein drinks, chicken, turkey, salad, fruit and fish with exercise. Then play some tennis 3 times a week and do some mild weight training...See what that does.