Put a fork in Level 5 | Page 19 | FerrariChat

Put a fork in Level 5

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by PCA Hack, Apr 4, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Been five years since the ball dropped on the Level 5 party. Shame that in that time a lot of this stuff has become worthless junk. None of those cars are raceable in their current form and some are just lawn furniture.
    Shame that it has taken so long but at least it's going to the courts.
    Some of it was on Ebay also at high prices.
    There's definitely stuff "missing" from the auction. Whether not catalogued or sold separately, who knows?
    Yes - what a shame, again, that this stuff has sat for 5 years. Crawford Ferrari? Who cares? <shrug> Lola LMP cars? Vintage? With what for spares? Unless you're at the level of a Napolis and can have all the stuff you need made for you that's gonna be a real tough row to hoe.

Some of the expectations seem quite reasonable but others are highly optimistic. I guess I'll be registering so that I can follow the bidding if I'm not making the trip.

2. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    At 2.5 plus Billion he can afford whatever he wants.

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You betcha. I'm not criticizing him. What he has done to Mt. Temblant is great. Let's say he knows how to race with style.

4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    CW I think we are both in agreement with slightly different takes on the subject. At the end of the day Level5 only existed because of ST. Not for a second to I fault a single person who worked on the team or derived any income from ST spending money on racing. I would not turn it down either and I see no real moral or ethical decision to be made. In my mind nobody on the team did anything wrong to work for ST.

That said I know a number of people who worked both directly and indirectly for Level5. Some thought that the government case was a bunch of hot air and that Level5 was going to go on forever. I think those people were naive and wishful thinkers and ironically most of them were left without a backup plan when the team shut down. I don't really feel bad for those guys because I think they really ignored the obvious and were blinded by the endless spending; greed and ambition are ugly things. Other people I know rode the gravy train and prepared wisely. They knew the deal could die overnight and they saved for that rainy day.

Racing is full of boundless optimism but it is necessary to have your eyes open and with years you learn to sniff out the BS.

5. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    That's one of the funny recurring bits on the "Dinner with Racers" podcasts: all the B$ meetings drivers have to sit through with people they KNOW don't really have any money or any lines into sponsors with bags of the stuff either.

6. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Fair enough, Nuvolari.

As to Stig's post, even the guys with bags of cash waste people's time in this business!

CW

7. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    The Level5 auction went off pretty well, but no way close to recovering $1.3B. I'm told his personal belongings will be up for auction next.

CW

8. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I'm kicking myself for being two days late and missing the auction. I had it in my head it was today and not Thursday. Really bummed I missed the opportunity to bid.

Any idea how some of the parts lots did? I am scouring Auctions America site and don't see the results posted.

9. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I haven't seen results published, yet, either, but a couple of items for you by way of example from word of mouth...

The gantry lighting. Estimate of $2-3K, IIRC. I'm told hammered at $9K.

The Daytona class-winner 458 GTD. Estimate $225-275K. I'm told hammered at $450K (also reported at $420K hammer price).

Bottom line is that bargains weren't to be had. The big teams (Penske, Ganassi, Wayne Taylor, etc.) were also present and bidding.

CW

10. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Okay, that makes me feel better. Was afraid I missed out on some rock bottom bargains.

11. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I wouldn't feel too bad. I doubt you missed out on anything. The other Ferraris, reportedly went for what I would consider to be FMV (or close to it). This auction was well publicized and the low-ball estimates attracted a lot of bidders. This seems to be the new tactic of the auctioneers.

The Duemila Ruote auction is another recent example, IMO, of this.

CW

12. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    boom goes the dynamite, where are the dealers, engineers, and drivers now that sucked the teet? Oh wait, they are still around with a clear consious? every dollar they took from Tucker was a dollar from some poor little old lady or family that didn't have the capability to understand what they were getting into because Tucker did what he could to hide it.

14. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    How the mighty have fallen...

15. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Yeah, but sentencing is in December and we may bet our bottom dollars that the attorneys
    will be slugging it out for a reduced sentence.

Will the judge do the right thing and make an example of Tucker?

Or, will the judge do what usually happens in these types of financial cases and give a light
    sentence at a country club?

My money is on the later.

BHW

16. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Sentencing January 5 and Tucker's attorney already says they are appealing.

17. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    IIRC Tucker has previous convictions and jail time. Combine that with the scope of these charges and I doubt he'll get much leniency.

18. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    He does. He borrowed 50 large from a bank using a Porsche that he no longer owned as collateral. He also ran a fake loan brokerage business and collected about $100,000 in advance fees for loans that were never given. He had previously written a bad check to a local business and wound up going to jail for mail fraud (the loans) and making a false statement to a bank along with the felony charge for the bad check. He was sentenced to one year in Leavenworth.

19. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    I purchased one of the lots for the nose piece to the Lola car for wall art in my garage where I've been collecting nose pieces. Ironically, in the giant box, came all kinds of other parts that weren't described. torque wrenches, radiators, and tons and tons of extra carbon parts. If anyone wants the other Lola body parts (side pods, under body aero, jigs etc...), they are yours for shipping or pick up in Texas. In two weeks I'm tossing everything that was extra if no takers.

20. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Are the side pods stickered?

21. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Considering that this thread is over five years old yet has generated only 472 responses, I was just wondering: is this an F'Chat record for a racing thread?