Putting an F40 on Jack Stands | FerrariChat

Putting an F40 on Jack Stands

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Drew Altemara, Nov 30, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Need to remove my wheels to put on new tires. I'm in Alabama and the closest folks that can balance a Ferrari center lock are in Atlanta. Don't want to take the car so will rent a truck and take wheels and new tires over to Atlanta.

I have a 4 post lift. I do not have a two post lift or this would be a lot easier. I can lift from the four post lift using the jack tray as it provides some extra room but there is not a lot of room to place jack stands on the ramps.

Anyone have a recommendation on how to get an F40 on jack stands or is this a just don't do it?

Thanks,

Drew

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  3. Mel Spillman

Mel Spillman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    When I had a F40 I made some step up wood ramps that I put in front or behind all the tires and carefully drove the car up on them. I could then get my jack underneath the car to raise it up. Worked great for me.

4. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Have fun getting those center bolts off!

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  5. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Hey Joe,

Thanks.

I'm not too worried about the center bolts. I've had them off to do other things. I have the Hill Engineering Socket and a 4 or 5 foot long 1" breaker bar. It is a little scary, but my main problem is getting the car up and placing jackstands under it to get the wheels off without doing any damage. I like the ramp idea from Mel and in fact have a set of ramps. Going to have a look at it this weekend to see if the ramps would work without scratching anything.

joe sackey likes this.
  6. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I can see that you are a pro.

7. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  8. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    While not comparable to an F40, when I had a Testarossa with centerlock wheels, I would sllghtly loosen the Wheel Bolts while the car was on the ground, then drive it up on ramps to get clearance for jacking the car up. I would jack the car up at the factory jacking points, and use jack stands with blocks of wood (wrapped with towels) at strategic "hard point" locations under the steel frame. Can't imagine where "hard points" would be on an F40...?

9. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Thought I would finish this thread out.

Tirerack finally got a matched set of front and rears for the F40; Pirelli. Had them shipped to the installer in Atlanta.

I ended up driving the car onto a section of 2x4 wood placed in front of the LHS of the front and read wheels. That gave me just enough clearance to put the small yellow jack from my 512BB into the slot which is towards the rear of the car but fairly inwards. Jacking it up was relatively easy and I put anther mechanical jack next to it on the frame just in case. That allowed me to get the LHS wheels off. Got the tires changed put them on and did the same with the other side. Took two trips but it was safe.

Prior to this my lug nuts came off with the Hill socket and a 1" diameter 5' lever and 4' cheater. Probably used about 5 or 6' lever while the car was on the ground. Always a little scary putting that much torque on something.

If you are wondering why I just did not take the car in to a tire place or dealership it's because no one is AL can balance a Ferrari center lock mag as they do not have the correct cones for the balancer. So made 2 trips to Atlanta in my wife's Honda carrying two tires each time.

My tires were 13 years old and put on when I bought the car. Still, lots of tread but getting hard and I was becoming more apprehensive about pushing down the accelerator.

Thanks for all the above comments but this way was safe and manageable for me.

Drew