Putting gas in your 458/488 - with capless fuel filler (Official Ferrari Document) | FerrariChat

Putting gas in your 458/488 - with capless fuel filler (Official Ferrari Document)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 458LOVE, Apr 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 458LOVE

458LOVE Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    When you open the fuel door can you guys do a test and use your pointer finger to push the metal flap open? Mine was kinda hard to push, then I pushed harder then the little metal flap opened Then I found this.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Why is it saying not to push with your finger? I just wanted to test it to see how it opens. Wanted to see if everyones opens by pushing it with their finger

2. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    There was a diagram I saw on this filler. There are two flaps. The one you see and the done you don’t see further inboard. They are somehow connected so they both have to be pressed to allow for proper closing.

FWIW I pushed in on my outer flap with my finger a while back... well because I thought it was kind of cool... and It did not close after that. The black fuel adaptor was inserted and “reset” the flaps. I suspect damage could occur if you did that a lot.

3. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    zhangster likes this.
  4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
  5. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    The Ferrari logo in the image I posted inside the gas door is BLACK in color... Mine is just silver on a 2014 458. I know this is a minor detail, but are yours black or plain silver???

see top left photo:

[​IMG]

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    So dumb! I hate those things. Today you can't even fill your tank with a gascan because you need the near exact filler device. It is just another thing to buy and another thing to loose and another thing to store and forget where you put it! I converted a 2019 mustang GT into a racecar and we can't even fill up our cars with racegas because we can't get past the filler port without a special adapter. Well it's just one more thing to convert and another expense. Also the inner flap can fail and the you won't pass smog and you get error codes. We don't need more complexity and more things to fail. Please just give me a screw on gas cap!

rw99 likes this.
  7. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I usually have to kind of turn the nozzle in the hole to get it to open up. Gosh that sounds sexual, LOL!

8. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    LOL. Yea, they did to do end issues with loose gas caps/people losing gas caps which wou ld give check engine lights and for many states that check your gas cap for leaks, etc, and for women who's husbands tightened gas caps to much - when the woman went to fill the tank back up and couldn't get it off because cap was too tight. :) You know how women always ask us to open jars, etc.?

Here is the INCLUDED funnel that is supposed to come with the 458. Make sure your's has it.

[​IMG]

Nice of Ferrari to give us one at least.

scott61 likes this.
  9. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Then 488 probably has it also? Will give a look for it.

10. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Yep, found it
    Thanks for this, looked in frunk and it was in the tool kit

11. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    2 screwdrivers and a normal funnel works on my wifes F-150. I did order one of those funnels from Amazon for $2 after I saw this thread though.

Thanks!

12. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Lol, glad to help ya out.

13. zhangster

zhangster Rookie

Feb 8, 2021
    Somewhere in the country
    Full Name:
    Chris Z
  14. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
  15. Boiler Inspector

Boiler Inspector Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2017
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Old thread, but I wanted to post this for the benefit of others. The diagram you refer to:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

DoubleD33 likes this.
  16. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry

Attached Files:

Need4Spd and Boiler Inspector like this.
  17. Boiler Inspector

Boiler Inspector Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2017
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    rob5819 likes this.
  18. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    My problem was that the fuel pump would not engage at all with the CA mandated "vapor shrouds." This seems to be a very common problem in CA, but please proceed cautiously outside of CA.

19. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
  20. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    '14 Here and Silver!