Putting in my electromotive FINALLY! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Putting in my electromotive FINALLY!

Discussion in '308/328' started by Birdman, May 10, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sloan83qv

Sloan83qv F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2001
    with BIG Dave M.
    Full Name:
    Little Dave M.
    Same as on the 308.
    Agreed.....The tee should be put in between the intake manifold and the in line check valve.

Crowndog likes this.
  2. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    On an injected car it would be easiest to T off the vacuum supply line that goes to the digiplex boxes, or since they are no longer needed, just use that line for the MAP sensor and don't bother with a T.

John

3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I thought about T-ing off the brake booster but I was concerned about the vacuum modulation by the use of the brakes, or is this not an issue?

The carb cars also have tiny vacuum lines from the carbs that connect to the vapor recovery system (at least I think that's what they are). Would those work??

I can't seem to find any specs or pictures of the MAP sensor on the internet so I can get a feel for what might be involved in hooking it up. (It's just two wires from the XDI brain plus a ground so the electrical part is a no brainer).

Birdman

4. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    #29 Birdman, May 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. blainewest

blainewest Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    Birdman, did you fab that aluminum mount that the coils are sitting on?

6. Sloan83qv

Sloan83qv F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2001
    with BIG Dave M.
    Full Name:
    Little Dave M.
    Brake Modulation will not effect the sensor.

The "tiny" vacuum line will most likely work...stick a vacuum guage on it and see that it pulls vacuum. That "tiny" line is exactly what the MAP Sensor uses.

Hooking it up is a "no brainer".

Paul

7. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Paul,
    Thanks! I have not looked at the manual RE: MAP sensors yet. I assume that the settings for the MAP are somewhat user settable. Can you suggest settings? Nick, are you reading this? Do you have the sensors?

Birdman

8. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    No, I bought it from Durable1. Be sure to get the right one. There is a smaller one for the older Electromotive and a larger one for the new style XDI with the larger coil packs. I had to mod it a little to fit by bending it a tad. It will not fit a carb car with the distributors in place. You need to remove them first. I had intended to leave the distributors and most of the parts of the old ignition in place (except coils of course) until I knew the XDI was working right, but that turned out to be impossible.

Birdman

9. Sloan83qv

Sloan83qv F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2001
    with BIG Dave M.
    Full Name:
    Little Dave M.
    When you get the sensor let me know and I will give you advance settings, do not use the current settings with the MAP sensor installed.

10. blainewest

blainewest Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    Is Durable Kermit's shop? Do you have a website address or phone number? thx, Blaine.

11. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    Looks good, and am looking forward to hearing driving impressions.

On your first photo showing the installed coils, I noticed that red coolant line splice looks a little swollen- might want to take a look at it, it could be failing from the inside.

Thanks again for posting.

12. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hey Jwise,
    Thanks man, but what you are seeing is the red hose is actually going around a corner and a little kinked. I put that hose in last year when the part of the old hose connected to the engine was bulging. I haven't gotten around to pulling a whole new hose through the car to the front, so I cheesed out and spliced a new section. The red hose is pretty new.

I had to re-route the hose to get the coil packs in, so now it's not in the position it was, hence the kink. (I knew when I took this pic that someone was going to give me some crap about my spliced heater hose!)

Birdman

13. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    #38 Birdman, May 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OK, so here's where it stands today. I had some time and I built the plates to block off the giant holes where the distributors went. I got my hands on some 1/4" thick T-6061 aluminum plate, and traced the outline of the distributor base on it with a marker. Then I used a bandsaw to cut them out. After some cleaning up with a big file (can't grind aluminum well) to make the edge nice and clean, I bolted them in. Now the distributors are truly gone. I also went down to NAPA and got a roll of gasket material and made new gaskets by tracing the old one so I didn't have to pay the big bucks for paper stampings from Ferrari.

I also got the wiring finished so everything has power. The way it works is the old wiring for the coils is not used. The existing switched power for the ignition runs the XDI brain and a pair of relays which turn on the big current for the coil packs, which need up to 10 amps each. So those are now on a seperate set of 10 A fuses and their own power line, coming directly from the big fat power line that feeds the starter. This is convenient because it's right at the bottom of the engine. Added bonus, I don't need to snake a wire all the way to the battery or, God forbid, into the dash someplace to pick up a good electrical feed. The fire hose-sized wire to the starter will be great for this.

Tomorrow with luck I'll have the spark plug wires finished and I'll be able to fire it up. Keep your fingers crossed. Next I need to get some cooler plugs and look into the MAP sensor. But first, let's get it running! I just watched "Overhaulin" so now I'm all pumped up to finish this!

Birdman
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Going back to post #7, I would like to review and correct something I said that is not quite accurate. The end of the cam where the distributor plugs in is not actually the end of the cam. In looking at the exploded diagrams, this piece is actually pinned into the end of the cam. If you were to pull the cam covers, you could unpin this piece, and then actually plug the cam end. Kermits's plugs would probably fit there, and that's where it must be designed to go. The only thing this would gain you is that the distributor end of the cam would no longer protrude through the cam seal and you could eliminate one more piece of stuff (the plate that holds the cam seal which is between the distributor and the head). But you would still need to block off the hole where the distributor went because, cam-end sealed or not, oil would get in that area from the head. So it seems easier to leave the end that drives the distributor pinned in place, leave the cam seal, and put the plate on the end. In this case, if the cam seal has integrity, the plate on the end is only a dust cover. It doesn't need to keep oil in, because it can't get past the cam seal. (I still used a gasket anyway).

If the cam seal were to leak, it can't get out anyway.

Finally, this is the easiest way to do it so that another owner could <shudder> go back to points and distributors. Just pull the plates, bolt the dizzies back on, and hook it up.

Confused yet?

It is my understanding that on the injected cars, the design is a little different, so this is carb cars only info.

Birdman

15. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    I spoke to Nick about the MAP sensor. He said that it wouldn't really help much. He said if I wanted to try it he could send me out one (great customer service). I haven't done anything about it yet. I am still considering it though. I think it may give a little better throttle response and a little better MPG, but overall HP will not increase. The way I see it, when at WOT, there is little vacuum anyways so there will not be any further advance from the MAP.

Henry

16. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    That's exactly what I did too to block off where the dizzys went. I'll post up a pic soon. I also did some custom work on the wires. I'll post a pic of that too.

Henry

17. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Today's update:

I finished the spark plug wires and then realized that even though the wheels aren't on and the car is on the lift, I could test start the car. Imagine my reluctance....what would happen?

So with complete confidence in my electrical skills, I carefully squirmed into the car (doors don't open far on the lift), put the key in the ignition, let the fuel pump prime, gave it a couple pumps of the gas, and turned the key. It started! Stone cold, hasn't been started in 3 months or so, and it settled down to a perfect idle. All is right in the world.

OK, so I haven't driven it, but it runs, and it idles way better than it did before. (The cold fast idle device has been removed by a PO so the car tended to idle slow when cold, then speed up to 900 RPM when warm. In this case, the car idles much better when cold, but I haven't warmed it up to test what happens when it gets warm. I want to put a timing light on it first to verify the timing.) No other observations to report at this time.

Now the bad news. No tach. So I guess I have a little troubleshooting to do. There is very little to test. If the XDI is putting out a tach signal, then either my black box is dead, or I have a bad connection. I'll have to pull out the ocilloscope and check it out.

Stand by for more reports...

Birdman

18. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Hey Birdman,
    Is that like a Anal probe?? :D

19. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

20. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    No, that's the one that goes in the tailpipe....;)

I think I found the problem--looks like your basic doofus move...I had a connector not plugged in all the way. I'll wait until tomorrow to test again because I have to put in new plugs anyway.

Looks like this thing will be ready for a test drive tomorrow if the weather ever improves here!

Birdman

21. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Awesome, Birdman!

You're my inspiration on this install! My XDI system is in a box, just waiting to be installed..

I'm awaiting a rebuilt Varishock (coming from Hal Lees), should be here tomorrow, and then I can have a rollable car.

I'm going to be leaning on you a bit with a few questions...

For example: What size/type metric screws/nuts did you use to secure the crank sensor? How did you locate it perfectly? By aiming at the falling edge of the 11th tooth, and then just marking the mount holes? How do you know how far away to mount from the trigger wheel?

More to come! :)

Greg
    77 308 (also!)

22. bill308

bill308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2001
    Windsor, CT
    Full Name:
    Bill Sebestyen
    Several years ago I installed an HPV-1 on my carbed GTS and later added a vacuum advance module connected to the MAP input to the HPV-1.

I have mixed emotions about the vacuum advance. On the one hand, one can cruise at much smaller throttle openings, thus decreasing fuel consumption. On the other hand, small increases in throttle opening increase the combustion mixture slightly, but decrease the vacuum advance signal. The result is a bit of a flat spot when gently increasing speed, while in a cruising mode. I think the solution maybe a calibrated orifice in the vacuum advance line to dampen the vacuum signal.

The other issue I had was a high idle. The carbs simply would not close enough to overcome the increase in rpm do to the added ignition advance. The solution for me was to interrupt the electical signal from the vacuum advance module to the MAP input terminal on the HPV-1 when the throttles were closed. I acquired and installed an R2 microswitch and bracket assembly (which was removed by a PO) and wired it into the circuit. Normally this switch is made (on) when the throttles are closed, but it turns out there is a third spade connector on the microswitch that can turn this switch into a break (open) when the throttles are closed. This feature works very well on carb cars.

For a vacuum signal, I tapped into the vacuum line going to the vacuum sphere (muscle for the air cleaner trap door and other vacuum devices). A simple T-fitting placed between the intake manifold and the check valve works well. I don't know if you'll find a T-fitting big enough to tap into the brake booster line and still be able to accommdate a small bore vacuum line to the vacuum module.

One other issue was my tach didn't work at first. This was solved by installing an MSD tach adaptor. This device amplifies the signal going to the tach to a suitable level.

I hope this helps.

Bill

23. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    your write up is full of all the human failings and murphy''s laws and trepidations we all have working on our cars...we've all been there and thanks for sharing the human element in your write ups as well, I felt like I was squirming in the car with you to hold my breath and start the car...know that feeling as a shadetree mechanic all too well. Usually the success of the project is inversely related to how many people are watching you start the car plus the cost in time and money of the project.... kudos...I think there is a new ignition in my car's future..love to see the engine bay with the final set-up for inspiration.

24. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I have to clean the engine bay before posting a pic, for fear I will be banished from the site for my unforgivably filthy engine. What can I say, every time I clean it, it gets dirty again, so unless I don't drive it, I can't see the point in cleaning it!

Let me tell ya, I was nervous when I turned that key.

Birdman

25. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    OK, here's what I did.

1. Remove the accessory belts and put the trigger wheel on the balancer. Do not tighten the mounting screws on the wheel. Let it just rest loosely on there.
    2. Replace the belts and tension properly.
    3. Hold the sensor in position so it is at a 90 degree angle to the trigger wheel and the right distance away.
    4. Mark the rear cam belt cover for the position of the sensor bracket.
    5. Remove the cam belt cover and use the marks you made to mount the sensor bracket.
    6. Install the cam belt cover.
    7. Put the engine at TDC using the P-M 1-4 marks on the flywheel.
    8. Move the still loose trigger wheel to the right alignment with the sensor (trailing edge of 11th tooth).
    9. Tighten the set screws on the trigger wheel to lock it down in place. Use loctite. You may have to rotate the engine with a big socket on the balancer bolt in order to be able to reach all the set screws on the trigger wheel. Rotating the engine is much easier with no spark plugs in the engine.
    10. Put the engine back at TDC and check the trigger wheel to be sure it didn't move while you tighened the set screws.

That's it, the sensor is mounted. Took me about 4 hours to do all this from start to finish, but I have done a few majors on 308s so I'm pretty familiar with that wheel well and how to get things on and off the engine.

I can't remember what screw size I used on the mounting screws. Just pick one that fits the bracket. Harbor Freight has a decent little metric tap/die set for about $15 that has every size you will ever need. Next time I'm in the garage I'll try to remember to look up which size I used.

The Electromotive manual doesn't say what gap to use between the sensor and the wheel. Nick told me 0.060". Seems awfully close to me, so I backed it up a smidge more and it works fine.

Birdman