Q. How to pay a stranger for work on Excel file? | FerrariChat

Q. How to pay a stranger for work on Excel file?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by B R, Jul 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    I have a problem with an Excel file, and indirectly wandered into a total stranger (probably not even in the US) who says they can fix it for a seemingly reasonable price. They said they can take Paypal for payment.

So the question is, what protection do I have available to ensure I'm paying for the correct job, or even any work. It's basically an issue of trust between us, on both ends I'm sure.

I don't suppose that they will accept the payment after they send me the new file (to check first).

I don't suppose sending 1/2 the payment as a deposit, would be enough security for them to send the new file to me to check out?

If I pay full amount and there are problems, I won't have much leverage to get things fixed. But I guess in theory I can complain to Paypal and they might give me some refund?

Just wondering if I'm missing some other option for mutual satisfaction and security?

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I have a guy, US based, who can probably fix it. I also know the guy, so trust is not an issue.

LEt me know.

3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    What do you think is wrong with it and why pay someone to do it?

4. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    If an excel calculation problem.

Make the deal to be payable upon successful repair , evidenced by a pdf of a sample result from some example inputs that you know answer to. If the result is in line with expectations therefore likely hood file is fixed then you pay an invoice.

I paid Excel Help.com they are a company (probably nationwide). I had to pay upfront for a block of hours that they drew from.

5. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    Thanks, I guess your guy would be a little more trusted than the person I'm dealing with now.

What's wrong is data is all messed up, wrong data in certain fields, I don't know if it's a problem with formulas? I'd prefer to find someone to fix it for free, but no takers so far :)

Thanks, that's kind of a good idea with showing me a screen shot of hopefully corrected data. I might also check out that other company.

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I'm assuming you've already looked for Excel solutions online through various messageboards or Microsoft tutorials. In that case, I suppose trying to get someone to fix it for money is the next step.

I love Excel and everything it can do, but I'm nowhere near a super user of it...it is crazy what it can do that most people don't even know. If I knew Excel better, I'd offer to help (for free). Best of luck.

7. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    Thanks for your encouragement and offer.