Q:It's raining. Do you take your Ferrari out? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Q:It's raining. Do you take your Ferrari out?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F1Ace, Mar 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    If there's a Ferrari event to go to, I won't hesitate to take it out in rain... unless its huge rain, in which case my track tires get dangerous. See the pics in the Texas section on the recent show at FMoD... more than 20 Ferraris out in the rain.

However, if there's not something that calls for the Ferrari, I hesitate to take it out when its wet simply because I then feel compelled to wash it really well... so, I have to be able to invest the extra couple hours to clean it up... need a good reason for that.

So, my M3 (which is on S-O3s, great rain tires) gets rain-day duty most of the time.

2. VS1

VS1 Karting

Oct 16, 2002
    Beavercreek, OH
    Full Name:
    Vishal Soin
    Same here. I'll occassionally drive the C5 in the rain, but given the amount of effort for clean up, we prefer to use the other cars for inclement weather. I've personally never had the 328 in the rain - and I doubt it has seen much [a quick peek underneath the car on a lift - amazingly clean].

My dad has taken his 355 out in the rain a couple of times [but I'm the lucky one who gets to clean in up afterwards]. He does drive his Bentley in most all conditions [and that's a real bear to clean].

I think to most - it's not that the car will melt - it's just some put alot of effort into detailing [for me I enjoy it - but I also don't like making it more effort than necessary].

3. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I remember once it rained here in CA for a few minutes and I almost had to turn the windshield wipers on ;) JK. I wouldn't here unless I got caught in it. There are too many non-rainy days. I don't think I would have an F-car as a daily driver so even if I lived back east I wouldn't drive in the rain intentionally.

4. l'esecuzioneItaliana

Jan 29, 2004
    Some people take ownership to a high level. I take my Murci out to have a little fun on the back roads. Rain is rain, a car is a car.

5. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Remember this Willis??

6. WFO_Racer

WFO_Racer Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca
    Rain is about the only time the car get's washed in my case. I long ago got over the clean car thing on the outside .Inside the car has to be clean . I drive it and stick it in the garage. If I can see out of the front windshield the car is clean . We had friends over today for lunch and when I went into one of the garages to get more ice one guest followed me and couldn't believe how dirty the car was. The fool actually volunteered to wash it for me. Since we had some time to kill we gave it a quick wash. He asked when the last time I washed the car and honestly couldn't remember. The downside of taking the dirt off is all the rock chip you see on the front end of the car that the dirt had nicely hidden.

7. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Hey, that was only a sprinkle. :)

8. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    it's only a car.........of course i drive it in the rain. it's gets wet when i wash it too

9. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    A Chevy Cavalier is only car too. Maybe I should just buy one of those instead?

10. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam

Great..Tom's a real man and his car is a REAL car...a MONDIAL!!
    Seriously, Wes, if your car is, as you say, a daily driver then rain is part of the deal.
    I try not to drive in the rain for the same reason I don't drive it everyday: economics. It cost me too much to fix and maintain a "high" mileage Ferrari, and one possibly rusted.

11. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    That is the funniest thing I have ever read on F-chat -- I actually laughed out loud :)

12. Brandi

Brandi Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Milano, Italy
    Never drove my Ferraris in the rain... never...

13. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I cant believe the answers !
    Granted i still have to buy my first Ferrari but i like to think that the day i ll have one , i WILL take her out in the rain.
    I had an ALfa Spider ( which love to rust as well..) and everytime it rained ( not heavily ) i took her out for a drive. Even when it snowed..

The car wont melt...and its even more exciting to drive on a slippery surface.

14. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Driving my 355 in the rain ???

No, Never.

15. Wildwarrior

Wildwarrior Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Glen Winters
    I never drive my Ferrari in the rain!

16. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    I never diliberately drive my Ferrari in the rain. But, I don't freak out if it starts raining. I do dry it off later since its not galvanized.

17. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Reading the answers, I may get banned. I've driven it in the rain and the snow.

Use it or save it for the next owner. Your choice.

18. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Well I certainly appreciate the wide variety of contributions here!

Naturally as the cars get newer there is less to fear from the water since seals and metals are better on the new cars. But it's nice to hear older cars aren't helpless in the 'water sealing' department. If I had a newer 360 or 550 I would feel well prepared for the elements, but as was mentioned, someone in an earlier 308 might have reservations. I suppose a 308QV would be as good as a 328 so even if I would get a QV I could drive it normally.

It's also nice to know the "don't drive it, store it" philosophy isn't promoted here. Way to go!

Wes

19. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I never drive my 308 in the rain on purpose. I have been caught out in it a few times. Its not that I am afraid it will melt or am saving it for the next guy. I like to keep it clean and want to keep it in good shape for myself. Besides its part of the fun of the car to pull it out on a nice day and take it for a drive. It really isn't all that much fun when its raining. Just my 2 cents.

20. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Awesome pic! Love black.

21. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Absolutely not. I like others, I have been caught in the rain. But no way will I drive my Ferrari in the rain on purpose. People turn from stupid drivers to mentally retarded drivers when it is raining. A few weeks ago it rained here in So Cali, and I saw three wrecks on the way to work. I had one guy brake for no reason at all and then changed lanes right in front of me. There was no one in front of him either. Your just asking for it if you drive the Ferrari in the rain.

22. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Of course I drive my F-cars in the rain. They are, after all, just cars.

Now, I might not leave them outside at the airport for a week, but driving in rain (or light snow)? Sure, why not?

23. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    I'm surprised at how many people think of their Ferrari's as "just cars". When I start to feel like that, mine's going back on E-Bay, until then NO RAIN!

24. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would say that these people probably haven't got a second car or still worse they don't even actually have a ferrari but pretend they have one.

25. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Why would you say that?