QP and or CLS55 comparison | Page 5 | FerrariChat

QP and or CLS55 comparison

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by goober, Apr 23, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    mb admitted in their lastest quarterly report that they have major quality control issue that needs to be corrected..they finished 32 out of 33 auto makers in the euro quality of cars survey...they use to be in the top 3 8 years ago....

2. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    This is true, but compare apples and apples. MB makes and sells 20 times more cars than Ferrari and Maser combined, for all the tempermental issues F+M car owners pass off as the cost of owning an "Exotic" the stones should not be directed at M+B. A lifetime of use out of a CLS 55 with fantastic performance great looks and a reasonable interior to a great interior TERRIBLE exterior great performace and Italian reliability? I didn't think I would be able to put those words together.... Besides the majority of the MB quality complaints are actually atributed to the loose nuts driving who don't bother to understand how the car works and to pesky electronic issues not to the build quality or mechanical issues.

3. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    ahh the panzer tank, remember the days when benz put 4 bolts in everything and BMW put 2, now benz use clag

Stephen,
    what amazed me was the fact that mum loved it and the ease of driving in auto mode, if u drive sensibly it changes like an auto, an in manual mode it is awesome. and to compare to the CLS55 is not doing the QP any justice,its just too small in the rear, i hate the AU falcoon taxi look from behind and by all accounts are right it's a long 2+2, The m3 has more room to move. So it's settled, she's happy and i'm gonna have fun in mummy's car.

remember happy wife = happy life. The dealership also reckon it should be worth 50% of it's listed retail in 4 years, i did not get that from Benz on the clk55 or on the ML55,

and when r u going to italy for the "free" trip

4. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    good choice my friend, th Qp is damm sexy.....

A question for Qp owners, how is the interior fit and finish. Ive read some articles and they mention that the quality isnt always top notch but from what ive seen it looks well done, i havent sat in one yet.

5. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles

in the demo the trim looked as good as any trim seen for quite a while.

deal done, gotta wait till Nov for the babe.

6. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Congrats, on the new car. I'm working on a deal with a demo, as there are a couple in the market right now.

7. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    s600 hey, got shares in shell

8. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    I wish, the only thing worse than the S600 is a 550 Maranello.
    S600 averages 21L/100km's, according to the computer (13-14mpg in English), the 550 is under 10mpg. With petrol at $1.18 litre and a 110litre tank on the Ferrari, I have to call my personal banker to get a credit increase on the Visa, before I fill up.

9. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    That's where my Shell Fleet card comes to play......

10. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    u r lucky, i'm down to coins and cash converters

11. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Not quite there yet, but on my way....

12. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles

so deal done yet on your QP

but being in the trade it's interesting that those who i have told are just horrified cos of the tear up factorof the old bi-turbo's and 420's,
    thet just don't get it, it's a ferrari 4 door with a maser badge,

13. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Not yet, hopefully next week, the wholesalers are trying to knock ANOTHER 20K off the trade in for the Benz, so I'm looking for a dealer who wants to retail the car, so I can gt a half reasonable trade in.

14. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    The only problem u might find is that dealers get scared with big Benz's, even coke rick would rather cough blood than geta big benz on the floorplan. If we all had poverty pak C classes at the 60k price tag, the tear up is zilch but driveability is also zilch, and the big benz's know how to tear up big time.

15. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Yes it appears that Robert D is the only one with big enough balls to write out a cheque.

16. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    what spec is the QP u r looking at?

17. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Silver, with blue leather and walnut wood, fully loaded with tyre pressure monitoring system, phone, PDC, CD changer, rear tables, 19's, comfort seats front and rear, TV(I think), pulled the trigger today.

18. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles

yeah ba by

19. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    demo means delivery next week :D

20. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles

lucky bugga,
    we gotta wait till Nov, and gotta go to Italy to select the trim.

21. kbrookings

kbrookings Karting

Apr 26, 2005
    Waiting is no fun; but going to the factory to make trim selections is.
    One tip: even in the factory tour and show room you won't see all the trim combinations. Ask to be taken to the "ready for delivery" area. Its on a second floor above the factory. Its not part of the tour but there will be about 50 QPs there and was really helpful to us.
    Also we stayed in Bologna and trained over to Modena. Both are intersting towns but I think Bologna has a bit more to offer. And don't forget that Ferrari factory about 20 kilometers away in Maranello.

22. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    thanks bookings go thru this week

23. LWR550

LWR550 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    East Sussex
    I was in Boston a couple of weeks ago... saw Nero Carbonio QP with Bordeaux perforated leather interior and dark wood. Looked absolutely amazing. Best QP colour combo I've ever seen.

IMHO, a must have option is alcantara headliner - anything else just looks cheap.

I just sold my two month old QP...

24. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    why did u sell your qp

25. LWR550

LWR550 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    East Sussex
    Well this is just my opinion and my situation - you seem really excited to be ordering yours, so I'm keen not to put you off.

To put it into context, I have a 575M F1 for the weekend and my wife has a Volvo XC90 for moving the kids, I wanted something to replace my 2yr old Cayenne Turbo for the daily commute to the train station (30 mile round trip) or London (120 mile round trip)

Also, I'm very picky about cars - some of the things that irritated me might not bother anybody else.

So, here's why I replaced it...

1. The climate control on full auto just did not work and could not be fixed by the dealer on the second time of asking. On full auto, it would blow out hot air even when it clearly should be trying to cool the car. I hate forced hot air on my while driving.

2. Very spongy brake pedal. Apparently normal according to two dealers who saw the car, but the brake pedal had the same length of travel as the accelerator and very little would happen with until you'd pressed the pedal two-thirds of the way. I found it very confidence uninspiring.

3. Cambiocorsa/Duoselect. Nowhere near as good as the 575M F1 system - by the dealers own admission. I'd find myself in stop-go traffic in London a lot with the car - it was very difficult to drive smoothly - even in situations where the 575 would be fine. Uncomfortable to drive in stop go traffic and I could feel the clutch slipping a lot.

4. Some areas of the interior are badly finished. When you live the the car for a while you notice that the plastic lenses on the dials scratches too easliy - even just with cleaning. The soft-touch rubberised plastic coating on things get's dusty too easily. The sunroof is badly engineered - too flimsy and the roof mounted plastics for switches etc are really cheap.

5. The market. With all of the above, I became increasingly concerned that the market might not support the car in the future. Don't get me wrong - if I was happy with the car, I would have borne whatever the market threw at me in terms of depreciation. However, given I wasn't happy I decided to swap out while the UK still had a waiting list for QPs.

I've 'limited' our household to 3 cars - if I were to accomodate more, maybe there'd be a place for a QP. Mine stickered for £80k - if I came across one in 3 years time for £30k and I had space for 5 cars, then I might be tempted.

So, just my opinion. I don't want to ruin anybody elses excitement for the QP. I tried, but it just didn't work for me.

The QP felt more like rich man's Fiat and I wanted a poor man's Ferrari.

Thanks,

LWR