Quarantine Project: 355 major | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Quarantine Project: 355 major

Discussion in '348/355' started by chris1866, Jun 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
  2. FourthAlfa

FourthAlfa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2015
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Andrew Love
    Hi Chris, the build date on mine (your old car for the benefit of others reading) is July ‘94, it has all of the early 2.7 features (the good AND the bad, LOL!). The cylinder heads are early ones (SX: 2154015 from April ‘94, DX: 2154014 from June ‘94). Are the part numbers different on yours? Interesting note about the narrow spark plug wells. A friend that worked quite some time at Ferrari also supported the notion that the early 355s were different (first question he asked me was “did you get the early version??”) I’ve discovered lots of little differences on early cars as I been combing through engine. I’m just about done, so I promise will start a thread with photos (literally have hundreds...lots of eye candy). Here are photos of the casting marks on the heads.
    You car looks great, yellow is such a great color for these cars
    PS: I’ve put about 9000 miles on the car since I got it - it’s brilliant.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I figured that was the case. Build date on my yellow car is November '94 and it does NOT have the early car goodies. According to Daniel @ Ricambi, the engine number cutoff for the "early" cars is 38150 (mine is 38420). But I do still have the twin fuel filters on either side of the firewall and a few other things.
    Your car allegedly has all kinds of differences. Lighter pistons, etc. The head castings are definitely different, with yours being ported more aggressively. The downside was that they had issues with the water jackets (I remember reading a thread a while back where Dave Helms said he has seen a number with coolant seeping into the intake tract).
    I am so glad it ended up in good hands and that you are enjoying it! My current car feels noticeably quicker than my old '97 GTS, but yours is a freak.
    Looking forward to your thread!

FourthAlfa likes this.
  4. FourthAlfa

FourthAlfa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2015
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Andrew Love
    Yep, my engine number is 37556.
    How is the Tubi/Nouvalari combo on the M2.7? Must sound amazing! I’ve never heard Nouvalari in real life. Share some sound clip if you get a chance.
    I put Tubi manifolds and Capristo stage 3 on mine during this major (you recall it had the Borla with the stock manifolds)

5. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Awesome work....but why does the oil filter say 6-2-17 on it?

6. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks!
    Old filter that the car came with when I purchased it last year. Obviously put a new one in when I was refilling fluids.

7. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It sounds great! So much better than the Capristo with the bypass closed (as Elliott detailed earlier). I'm very happy.
    Yes, I was not a big fan of the Borla on your car and would have certainly changed it had I kept it...
    I will work on a good way to get some sound clips.

MAD828 likes this.
  8. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    So maybe the Capristo stage 3 is a good way to go too then? I second the petition for some sound clips of your setup!

9. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I have tried stage 1-3, 2/3 and 3/3 on 2.7 and it’s more or less the same before bypass. And they all sound the same after bypass. There is not enough in it to get that sound before bypass without opening the bypass permanently and then it loses that cool transition into full F1 scream and gets a bit obnoxious.

ShineKen likes this.
  10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Exhaust just arrived. Im gonna cut it open :).

If I can make it sound like a Tubi Evo when bypass closed, that would be a dream. Italian sounding cruising around town. Full on F1 when things get serious :).

Oz-ATL and MAD828 like this.
  11. wdonnelly

wdonnelly Rookie

Feb 2, 2017
    Houston
    Thanks for taking the time to post the photos. It was great to see the journey and the details of the engine. I'm in awe of your mechanical abilities.

12. WTSM

WTSM Rookie

Mar 11, 2020
    Henniker NH USA
    Full Name:
    William S. McGraw, Jr.
    Just an awesome and inspiring project. As a 355 newbie I learned a great deal. Thanks so much.

13. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    Nice job Chris !!! What are the heat exchangers exchanging heat with ? I don't have 'em on the 348.

14. severtecher

severtecher Karting

May 1, 2004
    Tucson AZ USA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Fox
    Chris,
    Just curious how long it took to get the engine clear of the car. I assume it's not
    a quick change like a race car. I use to be able to clear a Learjet engine from the airframe in about 35 minutes. But this is engineered to be quick.

15. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It really depends on the setup you're working with. I'm not sure if you mean the *entire* process as-in everything drained and disconnected and engine out? Or just how long to drop the assembly after everything has been disconnected?
    This was my first time doing this on the 355, so I was taking my time. I would spend an hour or two per day as time allowed over the course of a week to get everything disconnected. Then a whole afternoon to build the wood platform to sit onto the harbor freight lift cart and drop the engine. I built the platform to grab the frame on both sides so all of the weight wasn't on the engine and gearbox pans. Dropping the engine on a traditional 2-post lift would be much easier. The 4-post takes longer because of all of the maneuvering required.
    If I had to do it all over again with everything fresh in my mind, I would estimate that I could have everything drained and disconnected and engine out in a day (6-8 hours).
    Everything disconnected and just dropping the engine? On a 2 post an hour or less. On the 4 post closer to 2 hours. Putting it in takes a bit longer because everything needs to be lined up perfectly.
    I'm sure guys like Mitchell who do this regularly can do it faster.

Thanks!
    It's for the gearbox fluid. So there are 2 Banjo fittings (feed and return) that pump fluid from the side of the gearbox cover up to the heat exchanger which sits in the middle of the V, where it is plumbed into the cooling system.

Anxious to follow your progress on this!

I promise I'll post some sound clips soon.

I owe the thread some completed engine bay pics also. Will try and get those soon.

Also have some very exciting things coming on the suspension front. Stay tuned for that (I'll make a separate thread)

16. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    @chris1866 I'm talking to Nouvalari's vendor now, and they're showing me different mufflers for F1 and manual... I didn't realize they'd need to be different? Did you get the 'manual' one with the dual pipes coming from the can?

Attached Files:

17. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes, mine is the "manual" one which looks like the one on the left. I specifically asked if there were 2 separate chambers where the pipes came out (similar to Capristo and Tubi Evolution). Top/outside pipes for the bypass chamber (theoretically with less baffling), and bottom/inside pipes for the main catalyst (bypass closed). Truth be told, I do not notice a big difference in volume with bypass open vs closed. But it does sound good at all RPMs!

18. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sound clips as promised...
    The partial throttle/bypass closed stuff is where I really prefer the Nouvalari to the Capristo.
    For those that haven't read the full thread, this is with Tubi headers, cat bypasses, and Nouvalari muffler.

Partial throttle acceleration in-car. Byass closed.

Partial throttle fly-by (approx. 4k rpm). Bypass closed.

WOT acceleration in-car.

WOT acceleration from outside.

WOT acceleration flyby.

INTMD8, ShineKen, Culprit and 2 others like this.
  19. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    From my experience with F1 cars the muffler design with a dual pipes leave minimal clearance to the f1 pump heat-shield. I recently removed a Tubi from an F1 car and the outer pipe had burnt a hole almost through the fibreglass heat shield. Perhaps that is the reason for the differentiation in this case.

20. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    This is surprisingly really good! Definitely better than Capristo when bypass closed. More uniform sound top to bottom. Capristo doesn’t sound like much of anything when bypass closed. However, Capristo is noticeably sharper once bypass open.

Thoughts on Nouvalari vs Tubi Evo Elliot?

MAD828 likes this.
  21. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Thanks for the videos Chris. The sound before bypass is a lot better. The Capristo kills it for top end scream however.

I will soon make a switch back to the Tubi Evolution before commenting. Right now I have Tubi headers, re cored OEM catalyst with 200 cell high flow metal cats, OEM y pipe and Capristo bypass valve. From memory the Tubi is similar to the Nouvalari but the main reason I swapped it out was the Tubi did suffer from drone. But right now I’m thinking the drone is better than it sounding like a Camry before bypass valve is open with the Capristo 2/3.

22. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Agreed. Seeing as I spend a lot of time driving with the bypass closed, that aspect of the sound was important to me. I was tempted to go with the Tubi Evolution, but for the price, the Nouvalari is hard to beat for the total package.
    Very interested to see what Ken finds when he cuts the Capristo open.

MAD828 likes this.
  23. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    They have a third model not shown, as i bought directly from them in the U.K they sent me the right one with the lovely attachment brackets with 355 engraved for the manual version.

I beleive the left one is the old model they phased out a couple years ago as it seems to have standard fitment brackets.

Here is the one i have, it's for the 6-speed manual.

Attached Files:

• 022.JPG
      022.JPG
      File size:
      103.7 KB
      Views:
    • 023.JPG
      023.JPG
      File size:
      144.8 KB
      Views:
  24. Ritter Rost

Ritter Rost Rookie

Aug 15, 2020
    Germany, Bavaria, city of Passau
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Great job! I would add black paint to the blank surface of the cleaned fuel injectors fur rust protection. Unfortunately the original color disappears in the ultrasonic bath.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Interesting, mine is Oct 94, 38088. Close call :)