Quattroporte daily driver | FerrariChat

Quattroporte daily driver

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Rosso Corsa, Feb 20, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rosso Corsa

Rosso Corsa Karting

Jan 24, 2006
    No.Fork Long Island
    Full Name:
    Lee
    One of my customer has a 2007 QP auto with 18,000 mi. I like to buy, it is now used as a second car, if I would buy, I would use as all year round driver, @ 12,000 mi. a year. Am I crazy, what could be the year maintenance cost and how reliable a 2007 auto is.
    Thank you

2. russarch

russarch Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Alexandria, VA
    You're not crazy and some owners do use their QPs as daily drivers, but most do not. This is especially true if you're going to be driving outside the warranty period. These cars are expensive to maintain, particularly when repairs are necessary. Annual maintenance for most owners typically runs between $2,000 and $3,000 per year for fluid changes, tires, etc., but I think you'll find that's based on fairly limited drivng (est. 4,000 to 7,000/yr.).

3. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    If it was the F1 version I would strongly suggest you stay away from it.

Since it is the auto version, then go for it. You shouldn't have any real problems, it should require the same maintenance as any other high end saloon (a Merc, etc). We've seen many QP Autos with four times that many miles and haven't had any problems other than the typical maintenance (oils, tires, typical stuff).

There is a QP Auto in Italy with 250,000 km and its still going :)

4. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    So without hijacking this thread, what Maserati should you look at to drive every day? Any F1 trannys able to stand the abuse? Any year better than others?
    Thanks

5. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I'm still very interested in getting an automatic QP for my DD. I appreciate all of the feedback from owners.

6. tiara4300

tiara4300 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2005
    miami ,fl.
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I service a lot of daily driver QPs. They have the usual sticky interior problems. Figure about $5k to repair most of switch gear the using sticky no more. The TPMS sensors are a constant problem so get used to seeing the little light on all of the time. Just check the tires once in a while. The motors and trannys are no problem for everyday use. I see the clutches lasting 40-50k miles in city traffic. Figure $4k for a clutch job. Brakes are expensive , but will last 15-20k miles. FYI I currently have 3 clients with over 100k miles on the cars. The best money spent on these things is preventitive maintenance. Keep fresh batteries in them , they hate low voltage.

7. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    5k to have sticky no more do the switches!?!?!

8. tiara4300

tiara4300 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2005
    miami ,fl.
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Thats on the VERY low side when you include the labor to disassemble the entire interior.

9. ferraribrit

ferraribrit Karting

Feb 27, 2009
    Ridgeland, MS
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I drove my '08 QP GTS auto daily for 3 years and 46k miles with no real issues (except the tires don't last long!). Not sure that the sticky problem pertains to all cars as mine had no issues.

Best, Paul

10. Maserati Blue

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    BillyD, no sorry, if you want a DD then you have to avoid the F1 gearbox. The auto is the only way to go.

tiara4300, to be honest, not all QP's have the sticky button problem. If the car is properly maintained and the owner uses AUTO GLEAM's "Vinyl & Rubber Care" or similar product, then the car will never have sticky buttons.

In my experience, the sticky problem appears when the owner leaves the car under the sun and the plastics are heated and the surface of the buttons gets "soft", then once you try to lower a window the button will go sticky on your finger. In addition, the sticky problem appears when you leave your car to be cleaned by non-professionals, who use aggressive cleaning products, thus brushing the buttons with alcohol-based cleaners and thus causing sticky buttons.

All that can be avoided, by keeping the car away from the sun as much as possible, by having tinted windows, by using a product like "Vinyl & Rubber Care" from AUTO GLEAM or similar product, and finally by not letting your car be cleaned by non-professionals. Simple :)

Anyway, the QP is a great DD and costs are the same as any other high end car, clutch job here in Europe is about 2,000 euros and the brakes/tires etc are as much as any other similar car.

11. veloce49

veloce49 Karting

Jun 20, 2010
    Chevy Chase MD
    I agree with Maserati Blue that primary cause of sticky buttons is exposure to sunlight.
    Note that the post about it being common comes from south Florida. I had an '05 QP for a couple of years and did not have that problem.

p.s. 355Dreamer - FYI StickyNoMore is over in Waldorf MD in case you didn't know

12. tiara4300

tiara4300 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2005
    miami ,fl.
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #12 tiara4300, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well we just got another QP into the shop to get rid of the stickeys. The attached pictures will show just how much labor is involved to remove the sticky parts. It is also very hard to do all of this without losing any of the little buttons from the GPS screen unit or damaging the headliner removing the overhead console. I disagree that this is a Florida or cleaner problem. Every QP or and Ferrari for that matter will develop the stickeys if used daily and left out in the sun every day. The below car is a 2005 model that has been a local driver from new . We have serviced it for years and the problem finally got bad enough for the owner to dump $6800 into cleaning up the switchgear.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Maserati Blue

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    The sun and heat ARE the problems.

I've got a 2006 GS and hasn't had a single sticky problem. Of course my car is garaged, covered by the Maserati satin cover and the garage has a dehumidifier, I also avoid leaving the car under the sun. I've seen several 2002 4200 Coupes and they too haven't had a single sticky problem.

It is all about maintenance and avoiding the sun and heat. I am not defending Ferrari or Maserati, they sure have a problem with the quality of the plastic buttons, but I have seen this problem in German cars as well.

14. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    In your opinion how long would a clutch last if 90% of the driving was highway instead of city?

Would all Cambiocorsas expect about the same life out of the clutch in those conditions?

15. tiara4300

tiara4300 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2005
    miami ,fl.
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I would guess the clutch disc would go over 100k but the throwout bearings start to hum a bit at 50k. That being said I have a client with 93k on the original clutch pack in a 2005 612.

16. Maserati Blue

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    The Cambiocorsa definitely doesn't last that much, even in the best conditions.

In "normal" mode, the TCU tries it's best to make smooth changes by slipping the clutch, thus wearing the clutch considerably. In "auto" mode it is even worse since it tries to simulate an automatic gearbox.

Also, never reverse uphill because in reverse the slipping is even worse since the clutch is never properly engaged. In the GS, there is a trick that you can do: Keep pressing the brake, put reverse, hold the "down" padding for a second. This "secret" mode will tell your TCU to fully engage the clutch in reverse.

The best conditions for driving a Cambiocorsa is to ALWAYS drive in "sport" mode, NEVER reverse uphill and always be aggressive in your driving. All of which are not ideal in a daily driving QP.

In other words, always buy a QP with an automatic gearbox if you want a DD!

17. veloce49

veloce49 Karting

Jun 20, 2010
    Chevy Chase MD
    Maserati Blue is right on in his comments. I had a duo-select QP and agree that if you intend to use it as your daily drive, the ZF auto is the way to go.

18. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    That's correct.......Audi-VW problems also have the sticky problem and I've seen some some flaky plastics on older benzes.

19. Vanquish80

Vanquish80 Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2011
    Germany,Switzerland
    Hi Lee.

I own a 2011 QP Sport GTS since a few weeks, using it as a daily driver. First I tested the QP in 2005, which was very disappointing because of the gearbox (very rough).

Since there are ZF trannies built in, driving is much more comfy.

If you have a reliable dealer/car service in your area, there should be no worries.

I love the QP, the sound is heaven and it looks like a Ferrari in a bespoke suit.

I would chose a QP with ZF transmission (MY2007 if I am right).

Cheers
    Bjoern

20. ferraribrit

ferraribrit Karting

Feb 27, 2009
    Ridgeland, MS
    Full Name:
    Paul
    As my daily driver, my 08 QP spent 3 1/2 years outside in the Mississippi sun at my office without any sticky issues at all (and I know what they would look like, after having a couple of 355's with sticky bits). Perhaps they have improved the materials over the years.

Best, Paul

21. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I'm seriously considering a Sport GT, ZF model only.

Compelling leads are appreciated. :)