Quattroporte III A/C | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Quattroporte III A/C

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by sowest, May 12, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #51 sowest, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I disassembled the starter for inspection, cleaning, and lubrication. It was working OK but I wanted to put a known quantity back in place. Everything cleaned up well.

I do have a problem that I don't quite understand yet. There needs to be a metal plate that takes the thrust of the armature. There was a plate in this starter, but it can't be the correct one as it doesn't fit right and it allows the armature to run against the aluminum housing. There seems to be two variations of this type of starter. One is like mine with no bolts on the sides of the large white plastic brush holder assembly and and another that has a small bolt on each side of the brush holder to secure it to the main housing. So far, I have only found an exploded diagram of the two bolt type. It appears to have the type of thrust plate that is in my motor.

I thought this Chrysler starter motor would be easy, but I am finding that there just aren't many around. The local parts store has nothing. I don't even see them on e-Bay. There are many of the new replacement "super-starters", but very few originals. I have installed several of the replacement gear reduction starters in other types of cars and have had some hassles with their fit.

I guess I need to check out some of the MoPar sites and forums.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    #52 Mexico074, Jan 17, 2011
    Hello SoWest!!!

I have really enjoyed reading all your posts and really do appreciate the
    pictures you attach... They will be extremely useful when the time comes
    for me to re-assemble my car!!! As I promised so so long ago, I am finally
    attaching a few pictures of the A/C portion of the dash... I have a long
    way to go!!! I have posted 2 additional pics of the car in the QPIII Bare-
    Metal Re-Spray thread...

Keep the info coming!!!

Mike D.

3. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Mike

Thanks for the pictures of your car. It looks like the A/C unit in your car is the same as the one that I have, so the information and part numbers that appear in this thread should apply directly to your car.

I looked at the pictures that you posted in the "Bare metal repaint" thread. The QP looks very nice and I am envious of your shop and cars: very cool projects! What is the car under the cover to the left of the QP? I hope you will be able to post pictures of the progress as you assemble the cars.

Uhh, I suspect you know this already, but the crankshaft is not supposed to be laying on the floor under the car.....;>)

Aloha
    Larry

4. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #54 sowest, Jan 18, 2011
    I have had little time to work on the QP. The starter motor is still apart. I have been getting some information on these starters. There was an interesting submission to one of the MoPar news letters about the various Chrysler starters and how most all of the modern cheap rebuilds are done with series wound field coils instead of the original compound series and shunt wound coils. A closer look at my field coil assembly shows the original compound coil set, but the shunt wound coil has only one connection. It looks like the other end of the coil winding has been broken off, so the starter had been operating on only the three series wound coils.

Another item that will need attention is the brittle and crumbling Bosch connector for the distributor pickup. I don't know what is available for repair or replacement of this piece. The female plugs are readily available but I can't remember seeing the male side as a repair part.

One small bit of progress has been the repair of the wiring terminals for the oil sender unit that is next to the oil filter. It is very close to the exhaust header and the wires were brittle and broken away from the original connectors.

5. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Larry...

Thank you for the kind comments.... And yes, I will keep you all posted
    of progress made on this and the other cars...

The car, to the left and under the cover, you asked about, is my 1964
    Maserati Mistral... I picked this up in FL a number of years ago and it
    is waiting in the wings (so to speak)... Good catch on the drive shaft
    laying on the ground... This actually belongs to my 1971 Ghibli SS which
    will be returning to my house in the next week or so from the bodyshop!!!

My plan is to begin rotating the re-assembly of the Ghibli and QP III...
    The QPIII was running ok when I sent it to the bodyshop, so it really
    is a matter of re-assembly... I may need your help with pictures!!! I
    did end up buying a new windshield for the car, which was one of the
    main reasons for not starting re-assembly... ( I have more reasons,
    but they are not car related!)

The Ghibli will need an engine rebuild... Currently, the engine is apart
    and I'm talking to various people to determine who I want to work on
    the crankshaft, check/line-bore the block, etc.. etc... I want to make
    sure this is done right...

Finally, when the Ghibli is at a certain point, my plan is to send the Mistral
    out for its work, ie.. return to original color, interior, etc.. Based on what I
    found when I dis-assembled it, this may be the easiest to re-assemble..

As for the brown QPI shown in the pictures, I have not decided yet.. I
    originally bought the car as a parts donor for my Mexico... But the QPI
    is starting to grow on me... The more I look at its lines, the more I like it..

Now, if I could only really retire, I think time would be on my side!!!

Mike

6. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Mike

Again, thanks very much for your pictures and the summary of the projects you are involved in. You have a fantastic group of cars and a really inviting looking space to work on them.

I too have grown to like the early QP's. As the modern cars get more and more similar to each other, the distinctive style of an earlier time gets more and more attractive. The Mistral is special too. I have only seen one here. There was a spyder in town for about a year or two before the owner got transfered back to the mainland.

I look forward to seeing your progress.

Aloha
    Larry

7. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Larry...

You may have noticed I started a new thread to see what interest
    there might be in following the re-assembly of my Ghibli...But rest
    assured, the QPIII will be right there in the mix...

If you look in the pictures I posted on the new Ghibli thread, you
    will see a big box in one of them just to the left of the Ghibli... This is
    the new QPIII windshield which arrived today... I still need to
    open it and check it out, but thought you would be interested..

Mike

8. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #58 sowest, Feb 25, 2011
    I am sorry to say that my QP project has spent some more time in neutral. The good news is that some of the time was spent harvesting some parts for one of my other cars from a derelict car found on one of the other islands.

I still have not assembled the starter motor. There seems to be conflicting information about how the field coils are supposed to be set up in the early Chrysler starter. I might just experiment with mine or simply put it back the way it was. It certainly worked fine all these years. I would like to understand the difference, though.

I did get both of the exhaust headers back on the engine and am happy with the way that turned out. I was taken back a little when I could not get the mid-section of the exhaust system to mate up with the headers. All but one or two of the rubber band hangers were broken and the whole system was out of place. Of course, that drew my attention to the exhaust and how ugly it looked. I dropped the mid-section out of the car. To my utter amazement, all of the nuts a bolts for the hangers and the heat shields unscrewed . I thought that it was going to be a nightmare of broken bolts and drilling out rusted threads. It is testament to the very high quality of hardware that Maserati used.

I thought that it was interesting that the hangers at the catalytic converter were on the heat shield which was in turn bolted to the cat.

9. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #59 sowest, Feb 25, 2011
  10. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #60 sowest, Mar 21, 2011
    I have been able to spend a little time cleaning, straightening, and painting the exhaust mounting hardware. I will try to use stainless for the threaded fasteners as much as possible.

I was sorry to see that there was a good size crack in the catalyst housing right at the weld joint. The pipes and end caps are stainless, but the body of the catalyst is mild steel. I would like to weld up the crack, but I am also tempted to let well enough alone for now. I would very much like to get this car mobile again.

I did want to see what condition the core of the catalyst was. The bend in the inlet pipe is enough that none of the core is visible. I hooked up the scope to take a look and although there are a couple of small areas of the core matrix that are melted, the majority of the area looked good.

11. VeloceOne

VeloceOne Karting

Jul 18, 2007
    Hi, As much as it might seem to be a good idea, in many cases stainless fasteners are not the way to go. Nuts can seize on the bolt threads and can be impossible to get off. Also with mild steel at least they can be burned off with a torch.
    Whatever you choose to use, do apply anti-size compound to the fastener threads.
    Regards Ian

12. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Ian

Thanks for your note. You are right. I do share your reservations about stainless fasteners and agree that anti-seize is essential. I am talking about the lightly loaded bolts that secure the heat shields and the hooks for the rubber band supports so I am leaning towards stainless just to avoid the ugly rust.

Aloha
    Larry

13. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #63 sowest, Apr 8, 2011
    I have been reading information and opinions about the "best" and "proper" way to repair and rebuild the Chrysler starters that were original to the QP III. It seems the consensus is that the original, early field coil setup is preferable, that is three series field coils and one shunt (parallel) coil. This is supposed to maintain constant torque and prevent the motor from running too fast.

The starter in my car worked fine and I never thought there was any problem and it had the shunt coil disconnected. Well, never being able to restrain myself from giving the proverbial "sleeping dog" a good, swift kick combined with curiosity about what the difference would be, I decided to reconnect the shunt coil.

The first picture shows the original condition with the shunt coil wire cut. The second shows the coil wire replaced and the third shows the starter ready to go back in the car, at last!

14. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #64 sowest, Apr 10, 2011
    Feeling good about having the starter motor assembled and ready to go back into the car, I took a closer look at the exhaust and the crack in the catalytic converter. I decided to make an effort to close up the crack. I do remember being able to hear a small exhaust leak now and then when the engine was at idle. The actual catalyst matrix is supported in the metal casing by a cushion of "steel wool" like material. I wanted to avoid getting things hot enough to melt this rather fine supporting mesh. I decided to do small spots to close up the crack with time to cool between welds.

15. veloce49

veloce49 Karting

Jun 20, 2010
    Chevy Chase MD
    Just began researching QP IIIs.
    Don't know much about them yet but saw an '84 for sale on Ebay ZAMBC1100FA305078.
    Anyone know anything about it?

p.s. I have owned three modern Maseratis, currently own an '06 GranSport. NEw to the older ones but very interested, not as a collector, restorer but as an aficionado.

16. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Veloce49

Welcome to F-Chat. I don't know anything about the specific car that you mention on e-Bay. In general, the QPIII can be a rewarding car to own. I did look down on them and Maseratis overall, until I ended up with my car just because I had a need for a full four passenger car and it was available at a very good price. I was surprised to find how trouble free it was for years. I am doing work to it now make up for all the years of just using the car. Even though it has been off the road for some time now, when I started the work it was a reliable, driving car. Of course, I am a mechanic so it may be that I just don't get excited over things that might give some people big worries, but I think that I can honestly say that I really didn't have to work on the car much at all.

The entry price and value is low. The repair costs can be high. I don't know for sure, but I don't think that the Maserati dealer here would care to work on the older cars. They are rare enough that it might be hard to find someone with experience with the car, although any competent shop should be able to service it.

Look around. They come up for sale fairly often. Drive one or several and see if it is something that you would be happy withdriving and spending time and money on. They are not fuel economy champs....;>)

Aloha
    Larry

17. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Larry...

I need your help (or other QPIII owners)...

Today I emptied the car out of all the boxes of parts
    and stuff that I had stored in there after the body shop
    work and my move to TN... I would like to get the bumpers
    back on the car, and this is where I need the help..

1. What size bolts hold the bumpers to the energy absorbing
    bumper brackets (front and back)?... These would be
    items 7 and 93 on table 31 in the QPIII parts manual..

2. How doe the rear energy absorbing bumper brackets insert?
    Is the larger end enserted into the frame or the smaller end?
    When I insert the smaller end, I can line the bolt holes up, not
    so with the larger end... What size bolts are these? (item 92
    on table 31)??

I searched through all my boxes but could not find them... Any help
    is appreciated...

Mike

18. veloce49

veloce49 Karting

Jun 20, 2010
    Chevy Chase MD
    sowest - thanks for the reply. Very helpful. As I said, just getting started. I do have an independent in the area who is pretty well versed in all things Maserati/Ferrari/Lamborghini.

19. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Mike and Veloce49

Mike, I am home now with a cold beer close by after working on my books and taxes all day today. I will look at my car tomorrow and provide as much information as I can about the bumper attachment. I'll take any pictures that I think might be helpful. I have to admit that I went to the car today after doing the paperwork thing for a couple of hours. Just looking at the newly installed starter motor and the ceramic coated headers gave my morale a boost.....;>)

Veloce49, I do like the QP III. Even though the styling is quite conservative, it does have a real presence on the road. Passengers are almost universally impressed by the style and luxury of the interior. I even appreciate the automatic gearbox here in the city with the almost constant traffic congestion. Before I took the car off the road, I had a friend visit from the mainland that was a fan of all things Ferrari. In a good natured way, he gave me a lot of grief about the Maserati. After driving around a bit, I started to hear comments about how the car was actually pretty nice.

Aloha
    Larry

20. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #70 sowest, Apr 16, 2011
    Hi Mike

I took a look at my bumpers this morning. It is a little more complicated than I was envisioning. What a surprise! Right?

On my car, the smaller end of the energy absorbing strut goes to the bumper. This diameter is 42MM. The larger diameter goes into the chassis. This diameter is 49MM. I can only see the larger diameter at the rear. The front is concealed by the bodywork and the rubber boot.

At this point I can only give you sizes for the bolts that hold the bumper to the strut. It looks like I will have to get into the trunk and the engine compartment to get to the other bolts. I will have to move some stuff from the trunk and engine lid. No horizontal space goes wasted....;>)

Aloha
    Larry

21. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Hi Larry,

having fun following your progress on the QP3.

Quick question - are the cats on the QP3 all as pictured here in your post? I.e. wider than the exhaust pipe itself, like a box?

Just curious.

Thor

22. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Thor

I think so, yes. I have only seen a small number of these cars, but that is what appears in the parts diagram and it is what I have seen over the years as I made periodic checks for what was being offered on e-Bay. The catalyst almost has to be that shape for the heat shield and hanger assemblies to work. I'll bet some cars have had the catalytic converter cut out and replaced by a straight pipe, or replaced by something after market in states that do emission checks.

Aloha
    Larry

23. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #73 sowest, Apr 17, 2011
    Hi Mike

I looked a little deeper into the bumper bolt question. The post above shows the bolts that attach the bumper to the strut.

The bolt that attaches the front strut to the chassis is easily accessible in the engine compartment and I have shown that bolt in the first picture below. The bolt that holds the rear strut to the chassis is accessed from the trunk, but it requires pulling up some glued down carpet. I would prefer not to disturb the carpet in my car. I think it would be safe to say that it is a 14 X 1.5 bolt. The unknown is the length. I would think that this length would be easy to determine once you had access to the bolt hole.

The second picture below shows the rear bumper strut. The bumper is to the left, so the larger diameter inserts into the chassis.

Aloha
    Larry

24. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    #74 Mexico074, Apr 19, 2011
    Hello Larry...

Thank you so much for the info!!! It will be extremely helpful...

I am concerned about one point, and it has to do with the rear
    bumper... The picture you show has the large diameter end of
    the bumper strut going into the chassis and the small end going
    into the bumper... My struts don't seem to insert that way, from
    what I can tell... But I will try again!!! If possible could you
    confirm that one more time... I have attached a picture of
    the way mine seem to 'want' to work... I have also attached some
    additional pictures... One shows the QP from over the hood of
    my Ghibli (subject of a different thread - still working on the
    crankshaft issue)... Another shows my Biturbo which is close
    to being operational once more!!!

On a different note... Back in about 2002 or 2003, I bought the
    compendium of tech info for the QPIII from MIE... If you need some
    info, let me know... I will check in there and see if there is anything
    regarding the issue available... There seems to be some good info
    on the black boxes and fuse boxes!!!

Enjoy the pictures and keep us up to date on what you are doing!!!

Mike

25. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Mike

Thanks for posting the pictures. It is a treat to see such a great collection of cars.

I looked closely at my QP III again and all the bumper struts are installed with the larger diameter inserted into the chassis. This is also the way I remember other cars that I have worked had them installed.

Now the question is why do your struts resist being installed this way. Are all four of your struts the same? Could there be any difference in hole placement between the front and rear? Was there any accident damage to the rear where the chassis box that accepts the strut could be tweaked? Was there some kind of rubber pad inside the chassis box that may have come loose and is preventing the strut from sliding in all the way? Did the body shop leave a rag or masking paper in there...;>) Is the problem that the strut doesn't go in far enough or is it that the holes do not end up in a straight line so that the bolt can pass through the strut and thread into the welded nut on the chassis?

I had never heard of the MIE book with the collected tech articles. Thanks very much for your offer of sharing the info. When my car is mobile again (I hope in this lifetime) I will need to look into the timer for the interior lights. Sometimes mine would not go off and the battery would drain. The wiring diagram for the car with its picture representation of components and the tables of numbers to follow the wires is not my favorite. I hope the guy that came up with the system is gainfully employed in some other line of work these days.

You have a great collection and workshop.

Aloha
    Larry