Quattroporte III catch-all thread | Page 58 | FerrariChat

Quattroporte III catch-all thread

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Quattroporte3, Jun 27, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    While out for a drive today my turn signal started making an irregular sound (same sound, wrong rhythm), and eventually stopped making sound altogether, although I can still hear the relay under the passenger footwell clicking.

Is there some sort of electro mechanical device that actually make the blinking sound when the turn signal or emergency flashers are activated? Where is it located, and does anyone know what part it is?

Thanks!

2. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    Amazingly, there is. It's called a "direction acoustic repeater" and is #27 in the wiring diagram. They say it's located in region B6, which is shown as the dash pod area. It will have two wires, light blue and light blue w/black stripe. I haven't yet found it in the parts book, but the schematic drawing makes it look like a metal or plastic can with two terminals and a mounting tab that is grounded to a "safety belt timer" box, whatever that looks like. If I find a picture, I'll post it.

3. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    After all the money spent and the years putting up with no foot shops. I must sell most of my cars. This car has a camo rap so no paint shown $ 15,000 spent getting the thing right open to offers

4. William Abraham

William Abraham Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    Hi I think it is totally original. The cars were handmade and nothing really fits perfectly on another car unless it is fettled. I would expect they just grabbed one and put it in or they were overstocked in one at that moment. In a later car I had bits from earlier cars which made for quite a puzzle.

5. William Abraham

William Abraham Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    Hi if it is clicking faster it could mean a bulb is out. It is one of the standard items in the footwell fuse box area. Don't have a picture handy.

6. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    I checked the bulbs - dashboard bulbs are all ok, as are the actual turn signal bulbs front and rear. So I guess it must the the little acoustic clicker the other poster mentioned that gave up the ghost. Kind of quirky, but neat.

I'll leave it for now, things are too busy in the rest of my life at the moment to fool with the car.

How's your resto-mod coming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. ciscoauto

ciscoauto Karting

Jan 1, 2016
    Germany, Bavaria
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Sorry to hear that Bundas, good luck !

8. carnutdr

carnutdr Rookie

Jul 8, 2007
    Cameron, NC 28326
    Full Name:
    Morton Meltzer
    Bundas,
    do you not have a number of Q-Portes.
    What are you selling and for what prices??

9. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
  10. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    The pictures are 4 years old and it's parked outside.

I wonder what it looks like today, or if it even runs.

11. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    #1436 guygowrie, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Scrapped six. No one wanted anything until all were gone. Typically. Stuff. Solid for $50 a ton in the end. Saved running gear for now. All motors were sold for $2,000 ea. All complete good runners.

13. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Very nice one that I may have to sell. That will wait until Aug one.

14. nickypp

nickypp Karting

Feb 24, 2015
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nick Pavich
  15. nickypp

nickypp Karting

Feb 24, 2015
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nick Pavich
    No pictures of the interior, wanna bet there are fuzzy dice hanging on the rearview mirror?

16. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    I wonder what the rear of the car looks like.

At least we've now found another parts car ;-)

17. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Scrapped six. Ask $1,000 Ea. Without motors. Some were very nice.

18. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Did you note the VINs?

I haven't updated the QP3 registry in ages, but have been collecting info on cars I've found and plan to when I get some spare time. It would be nice to know what cars have been taken off the road permanently.

Thanks!

19. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Any secret tricks, tips or techniques to fit the QP3 rear bumper?

After a few hours trying it out with a friend, we could never get everything to line up to get the bolts in place, even when everything looked like it was aligned properly, the bolts wouldn't thread into the upper insert/clamp. Very frustrating, and it looks like it should be dead simple.

Has anyone else wrangled with this one, and if so, how did you finally solve it?

Thanks!

20. nickypp

nickypp Karting

Feb 24, 2015
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nick Pavich
    #1445 nickypp, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So this happened last Sunday! The Benz boys (and girls) were kind enough to let us join their autocross event. It was a lot of fun, certainly didn't set any time records, but nothing broke on the car. That I consider a success.
    There is video footage, but i don't think it will upload.
    Happy Summer!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Congrats Nick... She is up and running.. Very good to hear!!!
    I will look for the video...

Mike

22. nickypp

nickypp Karting

Feb 24, 2015
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nick Pavich
  23. StanT

StanT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2007
    Vienna, VA
    Good for you. That was a lot of work. Having owned/own 2 1982s I know the "power" steering really isn't very powerful.
    The biggest thing I ever autocrossed was my 1978 Jaguar XJ-S. I'm sure the QPIII is longer and w i d e r.

24. nickypp

nickypp Karting

Feb 24, 2015
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nick Pavich
    There was a lot of "rowing" back and forth, I'm surprised I didn't get sea sick!

25. ciscoauto

ciscoauto Karting

Jan 1, 2016
    Germany, Bavaria
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Seems like a lot of fun :)

I confirm the power steering is relatively weak but that's also part of the italian experience in comparison to the english where the steering is much lighter.
    Things feels more mechanical, a bit harder, and the same for the ZF manual gearbox.
    Although pedals are not as hard as in some sports car. It gives you a typical italian feeling with the car.

--
    A long post on the design.

The width is an interesting part because the proportions are one of the secret of the design of the Quattorporte 3 imho (same for the Kyalami) .

Honestly when I first saw it in photos, I was not impressed by look of the QP3. But in real life, it totally changed, these things might not be defined as "gorgeous" or "beautiful" in a classic way, but they have ton of style and that's what makes it actually beautiful. The more I look at it, the more I love its design.

I first could'nt explain why it was so nice in real and failed to impress in photos.
    Taking some times to study it, there are some ihnts, Giugiaro is a master and it shows in the details.

1-the proportions: it's wide, a bit low, and not that long.
    (from wiki)
    Length 4,910 mm (193 in)
    Width 1,890 mm (74 in)
    Height 1,385 mm (55 in)

compared to a standard Mercedes S class (W126)
    Length (SWB): 4,995 (196.7 in)
    Width : 1,820 mm (71.7 in)
    Height Sedan (SWB): 1,430 (56.3 in)

It is one of the widest european car of its era and relatively low for a sedan, only an AM Lagonda is much lower, an XJ is similar but not that wide, and both are much longer.

2-the dynamic details
    -asymetric wheel arches: a typical italian gimmick ihmo, front round, rear horizontal, it gives some dynamism
    -the chrome surrounding around the windows, thin in the front window, doubled and thicker in the rear window, it also increase the impression of dynamism
    -the classic double exhaust going out, typical of sports car in the 60s/70s.

3- the pyramid roof
    The biggest detail imho: if you are in front of the car you can see that the angle done by the windows is more important than in other sedan. This detail is like in a sports coupe, making a pyramid over the main body. (Relatively speaking, like in a Countach)
    The same detail in a Rolls Royce or a Jag XJ looks more vertical in comparison.
    And in the QP3 because the bodyline is relatively high, all concure to a make it look even lower, like a very discrete "top chop".

Even if it's not extravagant and seems simple in photos, the design is truly great and it oozes style in real.