Quattroporte III catch-all thread | Page 59 | FerrariChat

Quattroporte III catch-all thread

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Quattroporte3, Jun 27, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    Just finished changing front control arms/ bushings/ ball joints/ shocks. Also replaced starter, valve cover gaskets, reset carbs, replaced fuel filters/ lines, replaced vacuum lines, other misc underhood tasks. Please message me if you are stuck because I lost my job, the silver lining of which was enough time to do everything properly (took plenty of photos).

General tips-

-Have an M12 x 1.75 tap & die to clean threads.
    -Resist the temptation to use an impact wrench, torque everything to spec.
    -If you sacrifice a bolt, replace with good grade 8.
    -I found it much easier to settle the suspension then reconnect the sway bar end links.
    -I could not position the fuel line to carbs at the turkey pan without kinking. A couple of 5/16 brass fittings to create a 90 bend solved it.
    -Nuts which secure ball joints to control arms have steel inserts; they are not nyloks.
    -I found it easiest when I followed this order of operation: install lower control arm & ball joint > mount upper control arm to frame > raise upper control arm > install lower shock mount > install upper shock mount > connect upper ball joint

PS - If anyone with a show car needs a set of the old anti-tamper sleeves for the carb mixture screws, I have all 8.

Thanks all, happy motoring.

2. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    This is an excellent assessment of these cars and it's like an XJS (opinion), better in the metal than in a photo. Lowered rear floors add to the 'cozy' feeling inside and my favorite part of the design is the rear. The rear glass is short because of the location of the trunk lid and the C pillar but rear visibility is still good. The trunk is deep but the rear face does not have much vertical area because of the kick-up behind the fenders. It's a packaging miracle.

3. nickypp

nickypp Karting

Feb 24, 2015
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nick Pavich
    Nice to see another wrench with a penchant for these chariots. Welcome aboard.

4. Stefan Elshout

Stefan Elshout Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    Holland
    Is there someone here that can tell me if both cooling fans on de radiator should go on if the thermoswitch in the radiator switches on? Or is just one of them supposed to go on and the other one is for when the AC is switched on?
    I have a wiring diagram here from which this specific diagram is unreadable... I can see in the diagram that they both have there own fuse in the front fuse box but other than that my diagram is unreadable. A picture/scan of a good wiring diagram for the cooling fans would also be a huge help.
    Thanks in advance!

5. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    The cooling fans on my Quattroporte and Biturbo always come on together, regardless of whether the a/c is on.

6. MrMark

MrMark Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Louisiana, USA
    PM sent

7. Stefan Elshout

Stefan Elshout Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    Holland
    Good to hear, than at least I know that there is a problem somewhere with one of the fans or electrical system around it.
    Thanks!

8. Stefan Elshout

Stefan Elshout Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    Holland
    #1458 Stefan Elshout, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks to MrMark who was kind enough to send me a good wiring diagram I have been able to fix the cooling fan issue.
    There has been apparently a problem with the front fuse box at some point, this has been repaired in a poor way. The connectors inside the box had been melted and they put some wires in there with 2 separate relays. The connectors were all loose and randomly they made some contact.
    I took the fuse box out and re-routed the wiring for the fan relays to the outside of the box, than I installed 2 new relay and fuse holders, crimped new proper connectors on it (instead of these inferior blue things) installed everything and it's working like a champ!
    Now the other wires also have some more room inside of the fuse box, this thing is loaded with spaghetti.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Nice work Stefan... Keep us informed of any work you do on the car!!
    I know I am always interested...

Mike

10. Stefan Elshout

Stefan Elshout Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    Holland
    Well, I've done quite some work to it already. Valves adjusted, carburetors overhauled, repaired some more electrical gremlins, rebuilt the waterpump, rebuild the brakes, actually I can't really remember half of it anymore but it's close to being finished.

One of the only things left is the front suspension. I have all the bushings but I expect some issues with the shocks/springs as well but i'll remove it first before I can do a good checkup. The problem right now is that in the inbound stroke of the suspension it feels like it hits a/the 'bumpstop' if you take a speedbump with over 30km/h. Don't know if the shock absorber jams at this point or that the spring is all the way compressed which means it might got weak over time. Anyone ever experienced something similar?

11. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Stefan..

Please post lots of pictures of your front suspension work when you get to
    it.. There are many of us who might benefit from it... Keep up the good work...
    Also, please post some pictures of the whole car!

Mike

12. nickypp

nickypp Karting

Feb 24, 2015
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nick Pavich

Hello Stefan, my '84 does the same , I am waiting until the weather turns before I dig into the front end. I am assuming that after 32 years the shocks and springs are at their end, bushings as well. And while I am in there, tie-rod ends, ball joints, front brakes..........

I rebuilt the rear end, brakes, spings/shocks, and universals last fall, it was good therapy from the day to day grind.

Good to see that you have resolved the radiator fan issue. I was able to charge my A/C compressor this spring, and the fans would not turn on when the a/c lever was set inside the car. Fans would turn on when car reached appropriate engine temperature, so I knew they worked, so after some frustration, I found a disconnected wire on the back of the temperature control unit inside the car. Voila, problem solved.

Nick

13. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    #1463 Quattroporte3, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    Hi Stephan,

Michael posted only just recently that he had done the entire suspension, and listed some tips. Maybe you can talk with him and get some pics and better description of how he did his.

His user name is bski7908

Also, the noise you describe could either be the bump-stop on the shock absorber, but more likely your shock has lost some of it's magic and it's not doing it's job, but rather bottoming out. Is the front end sagging/low to the ground? The sills at the jacking points should be about 15cm from the ground, and all 4 points should be level/equidistant from the ground.

If you're interested, William had taken the initiative to get custom after market dampers made up for the QP3, the first set went onto my car. 4 spring swaps later (took a bit of fettling to find the right rate and bounce) and they're perfect. The dampers are rebuildable and high quality, so even though the initial cost is high (although not too bad when compared to the factory OEM replacement), it's a much better damper that will last longer. It includes both the shock absorber and spring, using Öhlins shocks. I still speak with the shop who built these and can put you in touch if you're interested.

BTW, my car had the MIE replacement shocks when I bought it, and every car I've seen with those sits at a weird angle, with the front of the car higher than the rear. I think they may have over-spec'ed the springs (since the originals were under dimensioned and often sagged after a few years time). Just FYI.

Hope this helps!

14. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    #1464 Quattroporte3, Sep 10, 2016
    I knew that time would come when I'd have to get new tires, the old ones were really old, and getting pretty slick.

After yet another round of checking, I opted for the Michelen XWX re-pops. They put quite a dent in my wallet, but the car looks great and drives great. They are quieter than the Goodyear Eagle RS-As that were on the car, and a little bit softer. The car still handles well considering it's size and it's age. The date code on the tires is summer 2016, so I should be good for the next 5 years or so of low-mileage driving.

The tread is funny, there's definitely been some advancements made in tire tech the last 30-40 years, no idea if any changes have been made internally to the casing since the XWX was originally released.

15. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Can anyone take a few detail pics of their headlight panel showing how things are mounted and how the adjusters work? One of my headlights is loose and rattling around. I had a look, but it's difficult to see exactly how it's supposed to be because my car was modified from the US spec to EU one.

It looks like there's a rectangular metal bezel or frame that sits against the hole in the front clip, and there are several machine-threaded screws with plastic stays, as well as a piece that's difficult to see that appears to attach the headlight glass to the metal adjustment screw. I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like this consists of several parts, and I think mine came apart.

I tried removing the front part of the headlight assembly, but didn't see how to remove the plastic bezel surround once I got the chrome trim off. The flat chrome piece across the top was fixed in place and I couldn't figure out how to remove it.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

16. MrMark

MrMark Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Louisiana, USA
    #1466 MrMark, Sep 10, 2016
    I've had to recently change the both the sealed-beam headlights on my USA-spec QPiii and a broken Carello glass headlamp enclosure on my Euro car. The assemblies are not especially intuitive to work on and things can get complicated by rusted screws and brittle old plastic parts on the Carello 614 light assembly used on the euro.

The flat plate over the bezel is attached with 3 screws hidden under the diamond matting.

You begin by removing the piece of vinyl edging glued onto the ridge above the lights, then you have to carefully peel back the glued-down diamond matting. I used a tools from a Capri nylon auto trim panel removal set and worked slowly to not tear the matting.

With the diamond matting pulled back, you will see the three small Phillips head screws. They may be covered in glue and remnants of the matting. There is a good chance they will be quite rusted. About half of mine came out after soaking with penetrating oil, the Phillips heads on the rest failed due to corrosion and had to be drilled out.

With the screws out, the chrome plate can be pulled forward and out. You can then unscrew (using the smallest hands and tools you can find!) the fiberglass bezel from behind and remove it. While the fiberglass bezels were off, I restored them with a respray of metallic paint to match original and waxed them.

The Carello lamps (part #1 on diagram) have little white plastic socket pieces that mate to studs on part #2 on the car (see red arrow in photo). These apparently get brittle with age and become fragile. To get part #1 to separate from part #2, you have to pull pretty hard on it to unseat the plastic parts, and they can easily break when you do this.

I hope to 3d scan these offending plastic bits at some point and 3d print some replacements as the Carello 614 is pretty scarce and can be costly to find nowadays. I'm also looking at putting an applied sheet protective film over the lights so I can avoid ever having to do this particular repair again.

17. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Pure gold, thanks so much Mark!

18. Stefan Elshout

Stefan Elshout Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    Holland
    Please get me in touch with this company building these Ohlins replacement shocks.
    The car is unfortunately not mine but a friends/customers car. Other than the front suspension the car is more or less flawless so I think he would be willing to do such an investment.
    I will post it here when I start on the front suspension bushings and i'll make some pictures.

19. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    Has anyone out there used the lean best idle technique to set up 42 DCNFs? My car's emissions gear was discarded before I got it so I'm not sure how much of the shop manual's instruction to follow. Idle stop screws are set at 1 turn after touching the lever, mixture screws are 1.5 turns. Car sounds awesome and pulls like a train but won't idle without some choke or throttle.

I'm also unclear as to why the manual wants the bypass screws closed; Mike at Pierce suggested opening them 1 turn and adjusting them to balance the venturis- not the magic bullet but it helped. Thanks everyone.

20. Thestash

Thestash Karting

May 8, 2011
    Wappingers Falls, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony Pistachio
    For rough idle:
    Have you tried backing out the idle micro switch screw to never close the circuit at idle?
    The microswitch system applies vacuum to the distributor while idling.
    I had to do that after I tuned the carbs.

Heres a link describing what I did when tuning the carbs. The car has been running great since.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/maserati/328560-quattroporte-iii-catch-all-thread-36.html#post142846133

Hope this helps!
    Tony

21. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    I'm inviting any and all to think out loud with me here...

I tried again today to refit the rear bumper, again unsuccessfully.

We got the bumper lifted up on the mounts. I had taped the clamps/spacers in place beforehand to make it easier (they slide out of place immediately otherwise), we lifted the bumper into place, I got underneath with a flashlight and we nudged the bumper back and forth until we got all the holes to line up and put the bolt through to fasten it in place.

The problem is that the bolt never catches the threads of the captive threaded plate in the bumper, regardless of how much I work with it. With the bumper off the car, testing the bolt against the captive threaded plate works fine and it grabs the threads instantly and tightens down as expected.

I don't see what else could be going on here, with everything lined up it should "just work". As far as I can see, the captive threaded plate has some wiggle room available, but not enough to prevent it from engaging with the bolt once everything is lined up (the holes in the bumper shock mount, the clamp/spacer plate and the captive threaded plate).

Any ideas what might be going on, or any tips or tricks to get the bumper back on the car?

Thanks!

22. nickypp

nickypp Karting

Feb 24, 2015
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nick Pavich
    I feel your pain. I have been there and do not have a one size fits all answer. Its in the angle. A lot of patience, I suggest. Use the Force. Prevail, you will.

23. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    #1473 Quattroporte3, Oct 4, 2016
    Thanks for the words of comfort, Nickypp.

Today I got the bumper back on the car. Finally. Third time's the charm.

I spent some time testing out the bolt and captive threaded plate in the bumper just to see how they fit, and discovered after a few trial attempts that the threaded plate has enough space to actually wedge itself at an angle, and even tip completely on edge, meaning it will never, ever engage with the mounting bolt.

After a few minutes playing around with it and wondering what I could do to prevent it from tipping up and disappearing, I remembered that we had some party balloons left over from my kid's birthday....

With a miniature air bladder above each threaded plate to prevent it from moving too much, we gingerly lifted the bumper into place on the mounts, and adjusted it to get everything lined up, and the bolts went right in without any problems at all.

Finally! Yes!

Pics attached. I'm just glad to have the bumper back on the car.

24. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    #1474 Quattroporte3, Oct 4, 2016
    So now that the bumper's back on the car, I popped the light bulbs back in their sockets in the side bumperettes, and proceeded to install the new lens covers/reflectors I had bought from MIE. These have threaded posts and are slightly different from the ones I ordered from Campana when I first got the car.

Unfortunately, and as I've come to expect on this car, they don't really fit.

So my question is, heat gun, file, electric sander, grease/lube, or something else?

See pic for details.

25. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Next on my list is to have the valves adjusted, one of them was really tight, around 0.06 IIRC on the intake side. I'm hoping that by getting the valves adjusted, my mileage will improve considerably (from 10MPG to 15MPG would be nice, i.e. from 25l/100km to 15l/100km, which is what many owners report getting typically).

I also plan on having the cam timing adjusted, and if I get the chance pulling all the smog stuff off the car while I'm at it.

If anyone has any tips, suggestions or caveats, please let me know before I get started!

Fingers crossed...