Quattroporte III catch-all thread | Page 77 | FerrariChat

Quattroporte III catch-all thread

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Quattroporte3, Jun 27, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    #1901 wilde, Oct 10, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
    Hello all, one of my friend, an elderly gentleman owns a QP III 4.9L with seized rear brakes. He asked me if the car had access covers like Jags in order to work on it. What about it ?

2. Dave Burke

Dave Burke Rookie

Dec 1, 2017
    Full Name:
    David Allen Burke
    #1902 Dave Burke, Oct 10, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2022

Oh Brother, if it did my life would have been SOOOO much easier with my '83 QPIII! The job first started as a replacement on the sprag bars that hold the rear in alignment - the spherical bushing on one side was completely shot so I replaced it, and in the process noticed that one of my rear brake discs was badly scored and wanting replacement. Plus, seeing all of the crud I got out of the brake lines, I figured I would go ahead and make all new stainless lines for the car. But I quickly realized that not only were the main pads damaged on the rear, but on one side the parking brake pad caliper had locked and the parking brake pad was bare metal and was probably eating into the brake disc, which caused the main brake pads to wear so badly. I assume that this may have been related to the sprag bar bushing failure.

In short, I had to access the brake calipers and thus drop the entire rear axle, because of the inboard brakes. Theoretically, this was not all that hard to do, being that once the driveline was removed, and the sprag bars, brake hose, and parking brake cable, and the rear of the exhaust system (I built a 4-muffler exhaust for it that splits just before the rear axle box), a mere 4 bolts hold the rear axle assembly mounts to the car. However, it is one heavy sucker! I found that a motorcycle lift was great for dropping it and raising it. However it is too heavy for me to deadlift at all and I would assume that after moving it about that the assembly is easily around 300 pounds, if not more. I am currently working on my '57 Cadillac and the TH700R4 transmission and adapter set are WAY lighter than that rear axle box!

I got a single brake disc from M.I.E. (to their great credit, they actually called to make sure that I only wanted one - as all of the others are in great shape), and I figured that while I was at it, I would repair the damaged rear brake caliper and rebuild all of the calipers and bend new stainless lines for each rear caliper set - there are three per caliper and the connect to a unified input and a single fitting at the upper forward part of the frame that has an individual bleeder port for each side. I hate that design - I like to bleed my brakes regularly and the location is a hassle (plus I accidentally stripped one of the bleeder screws and they appear to be one of those parts that is unique to the car, and unobtanium). So instead I bought a couple of wire-braided PET hoses with a 90-degree end and ran them out the rear of the axle box on each side of the car, and installed remote bleeder ports and hardware where I can easily get to them with the car on the ground. Right now she is back to daily driver status, and man, let me tell you, it is a hassle moving a big, heavy chunk around - and I worked on her outdoors without a shop building! But it sounds like the best thing is to bite the bullet and drop it, and rebuild the brake calipers too. M. I. E. should have them. You are going to want to inspect the brake caliper pistons too and removing them means that you might as well at least replace the rubber components. However, several of them were badly pitted and wanted replacement, which I did, so I know now that my brakes won't suddenly lose effectiveness for lack of fluid pressure.

The parking brake had to be chucked in a vise and be convinced to open with a liberal dose of penetrating oil and a pry bar. That sucker was really on there! The replacement pads I got were almost too thick for the calipers, even with the self-ratcheting stay nut barely threaded.

All in all, the car feels great and there is no evidence of any more brake problems. To top it off, I had the power brake booster professionally rebuilt and Man - what a difference! She doesn't brake as quick as my X1/9, but for a big, heavy girl with no anti-lock system, I have emergency-braked her and she handled truer than I expected.

Oh, and as to your original question: it is more like my buddy's E-Type: ya gotta drop the axle!

Best of Luck to You!

Dave Burke

MrMark likes this.
  3. hwyengr

hwyengr Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    I keep meaning to read this whole thread, but it’s sizable. What’s the current state of running a QPIII these days? What mission critical parts are unobtainium and should be checked as working before buying?

3500 GT likes this.
  4. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Happy New Year everyone! Just wanted to say hello to all you QPIII lovers and owners! I am hoping to have my car up and running this month. Just got a new starter today, lets see what that does! :)

5. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Hello everyone, I am looking for a front suspension spring for my European market 85 QPIII, my car is a European version and they are different from US model springs.

My spring is broken into pieces and I need a good used or new one. My email address: [email protected] thank you so much!

6. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Hi everyone we have found the fuel tank in my 1985 QPIII is beyond repair. Does anyone happen to have a miracle used fuel tank for a QPIII available?

7. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    When I was looking at ways to fix the two fuel tanks in my Espada I found quite a few places that could repair almost any tank so if you get stuck get googling.
    Mine were not perforated, they just had some rust which I used chemicals to clean out and then liked the tanks with Bill Hirsch's gas tank liner.
    So a better but still ruty tank would probably be the cheaper way to go.

Good luck.

https://www.hirschauto.com/Gas-Tank-Sealer-_-Repair/products/4/

You need to find something like this https://barnfinds.com/4porte-in-the-barn-1980-maserati-quattroporte-iii/#comments

4re308 likes this.
  8. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    I bought a parts car off eBay not too long ago. PM about the gas tanks and we’ll see what can be done.

4re308 likes this.
  9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
  10. Woods

Woods Rookie

Apr 6, 2020
    New Mexico, USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Van Horn
    Can anyone tell me where to find the oil level sending unit? I have searched the forum, didn't find anything. Looked around the oil pan and didn't find anything. Would appreciate any hints you have. Thanks.

11. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Woods...

Things can be hard to find on the QPIII.. If you have not already done so, I suggest you obtain the Maserati Quattroporte Electric System Manual.
    I believe these are available from MIE.. Although it is an electrical manual, it should contain a large foldable diagram of the electrical layout.
    According to the large diagram, the Oil Level Sensor appears to be item 64 located in the C2 area of the diagram. This appears to be towards the front
    of the car. There are two wires coming out of the sensor (doesn't specify the color of these wires) which connect to two yellow violet wires .. Given
    that this is an oil level indicator, I would think it would be close to the oil sump, possibly on top of the sump or at the very front of the engine towards
    the bottom where the sump is.

Hope this helps somewhat.. If you still can't find it, respond here and I will check my car out on Sunday or Monday (a bit busy the next two days)..

Mike

4re308 likes this.
  12. Woods

Woods Rookie

Apr 6, 2020
    New Mexico, USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Van Horn
    Yes, thank you. I do have that fold-out tacked to my wall. I have the service manual and others, but the photos are bad and it isn't very specific about this piece. I got under there and ran my hands around it looking. I will just have to dig in a bit more I suppose. Thanks again.

13. qpdrei

qpdrei Rookie

Feb 2, 2009
    You find the oil-level sensor on top of the oil pan, next to the oil dipstick. See in the manual: page 1-25, fig. 61.

Woods likes this.
  14. Woods

Woods Rookie

Apr 6, 2020
    New Mexico, USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Van Horn
    So, now I'm testing the compressor, which isn't coming on when I push A/C. System holds vacuum etc. On the wiring diagram I have, #78 goes into another wire then ends at what looks like a plug, though there isn't anything next to it, so I don't know what it plugs into. I have the list of relay and fuse locations as well and none of the relays say anything about the compressor. There's one fuse, 3rd from left inn the middle box that says sir conditioning and heating. When I test this wire, #78, right at the plug where it appears to go into the compressor clutch, it doesn't light up. Does anyone happen to know what relay this is?

Also FYI, I had a smog pump making noise so I went to replace it. I found the pump for the '84 Corvette is the same model number. Unfortunately, the bolt that the pump pivots on is on the opposite side. So the hose and pulley need to be slightly longer to compensate but the bracket still works.

15. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Eric...

This will either be easy to find or will be a real tough one.. First according to my info, the fuse for the A/C is the 4th from the left on the middle box. Should be a 16A fuse..
    I will do some more checking, but if you can, you may want to see if this lights up the 78 wire! If you are not getting power from the fuse, you may want to make sure the ignition
    is on and ensure power is going to the fuse...

When I look at the diagram it appears #78 goes or comes from what they are calling a conditioner valve... I can't be sure but this valve may be located on the A/C drier..

One other thing to maybe consider, is the A/C system sufficiently charged? I'm not an A/C guy, but I believe if it is undercharged or overcharged the compressor may not come on...

Continue to let us know what you find...

Mike

16. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi again Eric...

Depending upon the car, the conditioner valve could also be attached to the A/C compressor...

Mike

17. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Hi everyone, sorry to change the direction of the thread but I have some updates on my Euro 85 QPIII. I was able to source a very nice and correct fuel tank for my car, from eBay of all places. We replaced all fuel lines, hoses, connections and filters. Most of the ignition system is new and/or tested, new distributor cap, plugs, wires, coil ect. New battery and new starter.

I just ordered Four fresh Weber 42 DCNF rebuilds kits from Pierce Manifolds, due here today. Will redo the carbs and we should be good to go.

The only thing I am lacking is a European Version front suspension spring. They are different from USA model cars and those will not work.

I am fascinated with this car, I really love it. I cannot wait to drive it around. I plan to use it weekly. Here are a few pictures of the car, it is a rare color combo with Dark Aquamarine over Crema or Ivory as Maserati calls it. Full European Trim German delivery car in Munich at Auto Konig.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

F456M, MrMark, JCR and 5 others like this.
  18. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Mitch. The car is looking good!! Keep us up on your progress!! Where are you finding/getting your parts from?

Mike

4re308 likes this.
  19. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Hi Mike, there is a fellow on eBay who told me he broke up 6 QPIIIIs and have them on the shelf, they are all US model cars that he has parts available for. I got the fuel tank from him and I got the carb rebuild kits from Pierce Manifolds. I got the new starter from AW Italian Auto Parts, ask for David Lowenstein, he is fantastic.

F456M likes this.
  20. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Mitch... Thank you for the info on the eBay fellow... I haven't checked e-bay for quite some time
    as it seems I always have to wade through a bunch of crap and stuff to just try and find what I might
    be interested in! I will have to check e-bay again..

Interestingly, Harriman, TN and Woodstock, GA are only a little over 3 hours apart.. We should try and
    latch up some time !! Let me know if you are ever in the Knoxville area!

Mike

4re308 likes this.
  21. Woods

Woods Rookie

Apr 6, 2020
    New Mexico, USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Van Horn
    Blue and white is a beautiful combo. Seems rare.

4re308 likes this.
  22. Woods

Woods Rookie

Apr 6, 2020
    New Mexico, USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Van Horn
    Thanks Mike. Again, I should say! I didn't really find a relay for it after all, but I did go around and thump on all the ones I thought it might be, and...it works now. So, not sure what changed. Previously, I drained all the oil I could from the system and the coolant, and got everything just right. So when it started working it was very effective. Kind of surprised how well it worked actually. Once you get cold car blowing from the vents of a 40 year old Italian car, that's pretty much it. Nowhere to go from there, and nothing left to achieve.

I will say that looking at the manual, one thing I neglect is greasing the various areas of the car that require grease. So, jumping into that today, will see how it goes. Also, recently did some touch up painting. Got the paint from "Automotivetouchup" online, and it was perfectly matched. I have the anthracite gray color exterior. It was dead-on perfect, can't even see the touchup area.

F456M and 4re308 like this.
  23. Woods

Woods Rookie

Apr 6, 2020
    New Mexico, USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Van Horn
    Also thinking of dropping the back end as a winter project. I saw that whole subframe in a photo earlier in this thread. It looks like 2 bolts in each wheel well hold it on. And of course the prop shaft and exhaust, etc, but not too much. Considering how hard the rear brakes are to deal with, this might be the way. I want to drive this summer though in the nice A/C, but will get some pics and a breakdown of the steps when I do it.

4re308 and F456M like this.
  24. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Eric. I will be interested in seeing your steps and your experiences dropping the back end. Don’t forget to disconnect the brake lines. Inboard brakes can be difficult to work with!!
    Be sure to send pictures!

Mike

25. Woods

Woods Rookie

Apr 6, 2020
    New Mexico, USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Van Horn
    I’ve been looking at the independent rear suspension from a Jaguar XJ6 and I think they might be exactly the same. I need to take my iPad out there and do some comparison, but if that’s the case it might certainly make things easier since there’s so much more info for those. And likely bushings and such.