Question about 360 Cooling Fans | FerrariChat

Question about 360 Cooling Fans

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 4RE Bob, Aug 8, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4RE Bob

4RE Bob Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have read other posts about people's cooling fans quitting, and cars overheating. I have also searched the subject, but couldn't find my answer. My car has never overheated, but the last time I was outside the car with the engine running, and the air-conditioning on, I noticed that only the passenger side fan was operating.

From looking inside the front grilles, it appears that the air-conditioning condenser coil is on the passenger side. My question is one of operational sequence.

Was only the passenger side fan running, because the engine temperature was normal and the air-conditioning was on?

Are the fans sequenced, so that the left fan comes on at a certain temperature, and then the right fan if the temperature climbs higher?

Do I have a problem, because both fans should be on?

2. 4RE Bob

4RE Bob Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Nobody has any info?

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Answers: 1) yes and 2)yes

4. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    #4 Ferrari_tech, Aug 9, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. coolblue

coolblue Karting

May 6, 2004
    Isn't the left one for WATER and the right radiator for OIL as in the 355? I could not hear my right one and went to my mechanic who said it was running slow and eventually would fail and the car would overheat. Since the replacement I can HEAR it now!!! Car also runs slightly cooler.

6. Orlando mercedes

Apr 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Orlando mercedes
    I have the 2004 360. firts thing i did when i got it was ground the thermo switch by taking the plug conector off the thermo switch and jumping the green and the black wire.this makes both fans turn on. both fans stay on when i open the switch and the car stays cool between 180f and 208f.turn the ignition off and both turn off.if i turn the ac on the passengers blows stronger. I just by pass the stupid thermo switch.and dont have to worry about over heating and the drivers side fan turning on.
    They both come on with the ignition is open and i can here them on.no more over heating in stop and go traffic in miami fl.

7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Yeah... don't do this.

8. Mercedes

Mercedes Karting

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Orlando mercid
    Can you give me a brief explanation why not?

9. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    The fan isn't designed, nor meant, to activate below a particular coolant temperature. This is due to the desire for the engine to come up to running temperature as quickly as possible, as well as stay within the safe temperature margins. (Sometimes I get the feeling that some drivers think the colder the fluid, the better... ie, they'd buy some mod that would keep the coolant at 70F if they could.)

Having the cooling fan active ALL the time simply makes the engine take longer to come up to operating temperature, which is not a good thing. If a fan isn't working due to a sensor, electrical, or other issue, the proper thing to do is R&R the defective part of the system... not hot-wire it together like some hackjob.

mdileo and Ferrari_Doctor like this.
  10. Mercedes

Mercedes Karting

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Orlando mercid
    never said my car had a problem ,just want my car to run cooler at a stand still for pro long periods with no air flow..gee I thought until the thermostat opens your car is cold any way. so what your saying is when your driving in cold 45 degree weather the car is always going to be cold and will never get warm so its bad to drive in cold weather because the engine will take to long to get warm.. doesn't make sense.

11. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    No, that's not what I said.

12. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    You want the engine to run at a constant temperature, wide temp variations while running aren't good for an engine. The fans are designed to keep the engine within an operating range. They come on at one temperature and go off at another, the variance in most cars between the temp they turn on and the temp they turn off isn't dramatic.

If you had to run the funs all the time you would fall below this and in essence the engine would run inefficiently.

13. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Mine stopped working, which I noticed when the car got hot in stop-and-go driving, and it was the relays that were bad.

14. Chopperman

Chopperman Karting

Nov 21, 2018
    Weston Super Mud
    Full Name:
    Gary Priestley
    Engine thermostat controls the temperature of the engine not the radiators. If the engine is cold the thermostat stays closed. It will creep open as it warms up. If the engine temperature drops due to too much cold fluid entering the engine, the thermostat will close slightly to restrict/regulate the flow.
    Running the fans constantly will only reduce their life and burn a little more fuel from the extra electrical load on the alternator.

f355spider likes this.
  15. Mercedes

Mercedes Karting

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Orlando mercid
    I dint like the high fluctions of the needle hitting close to 210.
    After new thermostat and my fans running direct in this 100 degree wheather in miami and stuck in stop and go traffic with ac on for an hour needle dosent budge past 185 just stays at the quarter mark just slightly past.but always at the quarter mark.car is not driven every day maybe once a month.so the fans are only on for an hour .so iam. Not worried about life span.even my engine bay stays so much cooler. No more open the hatch to let out the heat.stays super cool.what a diffrence.

Sent from my SM-A600T1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Chopperman likes this.
  16. Mercedes

Mercedes Karting

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Orlando mercid
  17. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    It is desirable for the oil to get hot enough in order to evaporate any condensation in the oil.
    Modern synthetic oil is safe to operate at elevated temperatures

18. Mercedes

Mercedes Karting

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Orlando mercid
    At 180-185 and 1 hr drives iam sure the engine and oil is warm enough to dispel the condensation out that pvc valve.

Sent from my SM-A600T1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app