Question about Ferrari Battery Tender | FerrariChat

Question about Ferrari Battery Tender

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by AciDShOrT, Mar 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AciDShOrT

AciDShOrT Formula Junior
    Owner

Oct 1, 2013
    Saint Louis, MO
    Does the Ferrari Battery Tender for the 430 Scuderia work with the 458 Speciale? Thanks.

2. F430 Driver

F430 Driver Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
  3. AciDShOrT

AciDShOrT Formula Junior
    Owner

Oct 1, 2013
    Saint Louis, MO
    Cool. Also do you guys leave the door partially open when charging? I'm a bit worried closing he door would possibly bend a panel of closing on the cord, as its pretty thick.

4. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    My 458 came with its own specific charger. The connectors are not the same for the Ferrari's before the 458. If yours fit some one reworket it to fit.

If your charger light comes on you should know 7-10 days if it works if you do not drive the car.

12 volt batteries are 12 volt so it can be made to work.

Lee

5. F430 Driver

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    My 430 and 458 both came with their own tenders and the connectors were 100% identical. The output was slightly different on the two units but otherwise identical. Both were rebadged Ctek chargers where Ferrari just puts their logo on it. One was .8 amps and the other 1.2 amps

I don't run through the door but instead run wire through the passenger window which I leave open an inch. See the link in my post above for LOTS more info on tenders and photos of my setup

6. AciDShOrT

AciDShOrT Formula Junior
    Owner

Oct 1, 2013
    Saint Louis, MO
    I just read the thread. Thanks for the reference! If I'm using my 0.8 430 charger will it do the job ok my speciale, just at a slower rate?

7. F430 Driver

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    I think if your battery is in good shape the .8 should be sufficient to charge it however neither Ferrari OEM is designed for AGM batteries which have some specific quirks. You could get by for awhile with it but over a whole winter I would recommend going the other route.

For about $100 on amazon you can get a top of the line Ctek (same brand Ferrari uses) or even go with a cheaper $50 model on there that handles AGM specifically. Either of those would give you a higher charge rate. If outside the USA and not using 120V they have specific models for the power requirements in Europe.

The only trick is that you either have to hook up the Ctek connector direct to the battery terminals OR make a cable (Warren made mine as referenced in the other thread). On my 430 I hooked direct to the battery but since Warren was making cables for those who wanted them here I took him up on that so I could use the mounted receptacle.

Here is a short info piece on AGM batteries and how they differ from Lead Acid and why you should really use an AGM designed tender. For well under $200 you can have a cable and the top of the line Ctek 7002 made for Lead Acid and AGM.

Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) Battery Information - Battery University

The absorption voltage range and float voltage range differs from Lead Acid a bit.

8. AciDShOrT

AciDShOrT Formula Junior
    Owner

Oct 1, 2013
    Saint Louis, MO
    I clicked on the link and realized that will be bed time reading at some point. Thank you for the reference! At this time I'll use the old oem one till I can also get a custom plug made. Does keeping the door slightly ajar run the batter down? No lights on inside or anything but the car registers the door as ajar.

9. F430 Driver

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    I'm not sure if you have the lights set to OFF if keeping it open will drain the juice but better to either crack the window open an inch or if your wires are short just open the window completely and run through there.

If you are worried about the wires scratching the car (plastic shouldn't though) you could lay a towel over the door sill after you lower the window and before you place your charging wires on it. Would that work instead of leaving that door open?

10. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    Your 458 will come with it's own battery tender. Just run it through the open passenger side door and close it. No need to open the window as it's designed to be closed in the door. Used it all the time for my 12 Italia. No issues.

11. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Your 430 must have been later in built cycle so as they were transitioning to the 458 system you got that unit.

Mine had different connectors and was plugged in from the hood. y 458 goes in the passenger side.

The other thing that is interesting is the dealer told me the 458 must be plugged in all the time when not used. The car uses flash cards instead of a chip. IF the car is left idle the battery will go dead in about 7 days. This was not a problem with my 360 or the 430 I owned prior to the 458.

The advantage is the car software can be updated at the dealer. I have not updated anything so far

best

Lee

12. F430 Driver

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    Lee,

That is possible. Not sure what year your 430 was but mine was an '07 and it was the same as my '15 458 spider. Both plugged in under the passenger footwell and had that same U shaped connector with 4 pinouts.

Good to know on that 7 day charge for the 458. My 430 would last weeks without being on the tender. I'll be sure to use the tender more frequently on the 458 when I'm not driving it! thanks

13. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    My 430 was purchased new 11/2006. At least that is what the bottle of Booze says. My dealer gives a commemorative bottle of wine with a new Ferrari. :)

As you point out that most likely the answer. I agree on the earlier Ferrari's, my 360 and 430 did not have a charger requirement.

Enjoy tour car

Best

Lee

14. AciDShOrT

AciDShOrT Formula Junior
    Owner

Oct 1, 2013
    Saint Louis, MO
    My 430 is a Scuderia. Maybe thats why?

15. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    I had an '05 430 which also had the connector plugged in the hood also.

16. SL%%

SL%% Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2008
  17. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #17 abstamaria, May 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The charger that came with my Italia was a 110V unit, which naturally ceased to finction when I plugged it into the local 220V mains. I promptly bought a CTEK MXS 5.0 and adaptor from a kind FChatter who fabricated these as a hobby. This has worked well.

The dealer apologized for the 110V/220V error and ordered a replacement charger, which arrived today. This seems a CTEK MXS 5.0 as well, without the cold and conditioning settings, but of course with the Ferrari logos. It did come with an adapter, shown here. I am sure the Ferrari charger costs ten times the CTEK charger.

Andy
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    No, run the cord along the front portion of the passenger side door and just close it on the charger. Did that for 2 years with my 12 Italia. It's meant to have the door close on it. It does come with it's own battery tender and I'd use the one that came with your car.

19. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #19 720, May 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Did you buy the adapter from Warren? I didn't know he was an fchatter. I stumbled into his blog, and I'm going to buy an adapter from him. He told me they work well, but it's good to hear that from a customer :)

BTW, I went to plug my Ferrari/CTEK battery charger that came with my Speciale into the socket under the dashboard, and springs and parts popped out. LOL.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. jeetdds

jeetdds Karting

Sep 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Dr Jeet S Patel
    is Warren still making these adapters? If so how do I can get in touch with him and what does he charge?

thanks,

Jeet

21. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    As noted in the accompanying post, I too have had no problem with charger cord used in this fashion. The key is to position the cord, at the front most part of door. Close the door and then gently slide the cord into the space between door and front fender. This allows cord to "float" freely. If you run it randomly under the door, then yes it will pinch the cord. To remove the cord, I slide it back away from this area so when I open door it is not trapped by fender/door.
    Best

22. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    PM sent.

23. Camelot

Camelot Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2013
    down South
    just received adapters for Speciale from Warren...fits very well.

24. Alex HH

Alex HH Karting

Dec 11, 2021
    Zhuhai (China)
    Full Name:
    Alexis H
    H
    Hello there, got my adapter too, and when I plug it in, nothing works.
    Did you spot any issues after the spring popped out? Trying to do detective work before I take down everything :D

Thanks !