Question about winding | FerrariChat

Question about winding

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by ferraridriver, Aug 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    How tight should I wind my watch? It's a GP 8020.

Is there a slipping clutch on the winder so a to prevent over winding?

Thanks.

2. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    If I remember correctly from the directions that came with my Girard Perregaux watches, they state to wind 30 turns when getting it started.

3. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The 8020 is an ETA ETA2892-A2 with a chronograph module by Dubois-Depraz. ETA recommends hand winding to start when necessary. The watch has a slipping mainspring (as all auto wind watches do) so it is impossible to overwind. If the watch is not regularly serviced, there is a chance that manual winding will become stiff and/or the reversing wheels will foul. If that happens, hand winding will cause damage.

4. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    On the winder...
    Ensure the watch winder is set to the correct direction, clock wise, anti-clockwise or both and set to the right turns per day, look at the orbita chart online
    If you do both of these things you are fine.

If you don't have a winder that does this...ditch it!

5. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think when he says "winder" he means crown.

6. cre_man

cre_man Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    The Netherlands
    Im new on this forum, and to Ferrari, but im not new to watches. But you will know and feel when something is wrong. Windig a watch should be smooth. I myself own to many watches to have on a winder, and really like winding them. You can drive a car, and when you switch one watch for the other you have a bit of time to "play" with them, set the date, wind etc. There is only one watch that should be on a winder, perpetual calenders, these are to complicated to set every time you switch.

Also when you own a lot of watches, it is the same as with cars, better use them and let them run, the letting them sit in the box, lube will dry etc etc. So when you vault your watches be sure to wind them every month. This will save you a lot of cash over time.