Question cam timing 308 | FerrariChat

Question cam timing 308

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Miklas, Apr 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Miklas

Miklas Karting

Dec 10, 2018
    Luxembourg
    Hello,

I would like some help with identifying camshafts that are in a 1979 Ferrari 308 (2 valves per cylinders with carburetors).

The measurements that we have taken below are taken with 0.5mm valve clearance.

Intake:
    Opens 45° before top dead center
    Closes 60° after bottom dead center
    Total duration 285°

Exhaust:
    Opens 55°before bottom dead center
    Closes 34° after top dead center
    Total duration 269°

Based on this does anyone know what camshaft is in the engine and what the right timing that should be applied (opening and closing times)?

We checked the timings with the standard European and North American camshaft specifications but we couldn't find a match.

Thanks in advance.

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    If the camshafts are original Ferrari parts, they should have the part number forged into each camshaft. Have you rotated the cams to see if the original numbers are present. It would also be good to measure the lobes of the cams to see what the valve lift is to see if it matches the specifications in the manual.
    From your timing specifications, I would say that you have aftermarket performance cams or regrinds of original Ferrari cams.

Steve Magnusson and waymar like this.
  3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The 2 valve 308 GT4 (only 308 manual I have) has the following specs::

Inlet: opens before TDC 34º
    closes after BDC 46º

Exhaust: Opens before BDC 36º
    closes after TDC 38º

My guess (GUESS) is that the exhaust is factory and the intake has been ground.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Those are big durations bordering on what others have posted for the factory P6 cams -- for example:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/p6-cam-timing-and-setup-advice.10839/#post-156199

You might get some recommendations by reviewing other "P6 cam" threads, but, for street use, they may be a little troublesome (i.e., lacking in low end torque).

5. Miklas

Miklas Karting

Dec 10, 2018
    Luxembourg
    That's what is perplexing me. The intake is similar to P6 but the exhaust is something different. So it's difficult to know a good base setting for when setting up the cams.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A good base setting would be to replace them with known good street cams.

80 degrees of overlap is not what you want.

brian.s likes this.