Question for Hawaii FCA Members | FerrariChat

Question for Hawaii FCA Members

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by TrojanFan, Apr 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Well the FCA event that we had tried to pull off this past March was a bust, partly I believe because it was mainland members trying to put something together that just didn't appeal to those on the mainland as we wouldn't have our cars there and didn't appeal to the needs of our Island members either.

Would there be any interest in starting an FCA chapter in Hawaii? It would still be part of and supported by the Southwest Region but run by local members that could plan local events. We only have about a dozen or so members in Hawaii now (there could be a few others that are members of other regions) but there are a lot more Ferrari owners in the Islands and a local run chapter may attract more local members.

We discussed this at a recent FCA-SW Board Meeting and we wanted to gauge the interest level. We can discuss it here online or you can PM me for a private conversation.

2. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    I like the idea...

3. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Need a few guys willing to step up and do the organizational work to get things running.

4. bcb70

bcb70 Karting

Mar 30, 2013
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Brian B
    I like the idea also. I am willing to participate but am too swamped with work and other organizational commitments to take on any more responsibilities. I'm willing to assist and I need a reason to drive my 355 more often.

5. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I know a guy that would be a great chief. Will send you his name by PM.

Question - how much are the Ferrari Club dues ? What do you get for membership ?

6. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Dues are $135 annually. $100 goes to the National organization and $35 goes to the region.

The "official" things that you get are:
    10% discounts on parts and labor at Ferrari Dealerships;
    FCA & Regional magazines;
    5% discount on Hagerty Insurance;
    Discounts on Motor Spots travel;
    Discounts at Skip Barber racing school;
    Various other discounts.

Other than the dealership discount, most would not have much "value" in Hawaii itself. It really is more of a frame work and organization around which to organize individuals with similar interests in Ferrari's.

I've heard from our members in Hawaii that when they receive the regional magazine (online past issues at FCA Southwest Region) they get envious with all of the events we have scheduled in Southern California. While we do have a lot of events, with over 600 members in the SW region (Southern California & Hawaii), its the same 10 - 15 individuals that work to organize the events that we all get to enjoy.

While conditions are different in Hawaii, there is a wide variety of similar events that could be organized there, tailored to the local interests.

If there isn't interest in organizing an independent chapter there, if there are some FCA members (either current or future) that want to organize events locally in Hawaii as part of the SW Region that could work out as well. While our region has its official board meetings in Los Angeles, we have members that organize events in San Diego as well as up the coast as far as central California.

7. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    #7 WPOZZZ, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
    I am willing to pitch in, but I am not a Ferrari owner...yet. I love my Porsches, and will have a Ferrari one day. I do have some experience in organizing things as I was BMWCCA Hawaii president for about 6 years, and PCA Hawaii president for two. I also started up Cars and Coffee Honolulu in 2007.

8. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    BMW Driver eh ?

9. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
  10. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I've heard back from a few that there may be interest in organizing a FCA Hawaii Chapter. Some that said that they would be willing to help and even someone that said that they would be willing to organize.

I'll present the discussions so far at the Regional Board Meeting on June 10th to see how this can move forward.

Peter

11. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    I should have a car here before August and would be interested in meeting other owners, so yes, I would join. Thanks for working on this.

12. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    I approve of this message. ;-)

13. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I owe a call to the gentleman that offered to coordinate and organize. Regional Board is willing to consider a chapter and maybe eventually a separate region for Hawaii but there needs to be sufficient interest to make it viable and self sufficient. There is also an organizational process to go through.

FCA-SW currently has 11 members in Hawaii among 4 Islands. Some may want to be in the Hawaii chapter while others may want to stay part of the California group though initially it will all be within the same region anyway. I would think that we would need a group 0f about 12-15 to make a chapter viable with the potential to add more members.

Once I have time to discuss with the local member willing to organize, we can see if this is something that can be put into motion.

14. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    OK Peter -- you should now have 12 FCA members in Hawaii. I just joined. I am sure I will enjoy the membership, and I hope this helps in creating a Hawaii chapter.