Question for McLaren owners regarding your fandom for Indycar in midst of this Fernando Alonso rumor | FerrariChat

Question for McLaren owners regarding your fandom for Indycar in midst of this Fernando Alonso rumor

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by TeamF1Jr, Jun 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    For McLaren owners only.

There is a debate on another forum whose primary focus is Indycar. You, McLaren owners came into question if the following moves the needle for you in any way towards Indycar.

For those in the dark for the past month, the rumors are hot and heavy that Fernando Alonso is coming to Indycar in a branded McLaren. Due to regulations, it won't be a full blooded McLaren (at least for a few years), however Fernando Alonso is rumored to be the driver. You're probably familiar with him running the Indy 500 last year, but this time he's rumored to do the full season.

On the Indycar forum, while many are supportive of this possibility, many question if McLaren car owners really care

Zak Brown head of McLaren racing says with America being McLaren Automotive's biggest market we need to be here (in Indycar). Zak also promotes the history of McLaren at Indy, including two 500 victories as some of his justification.

I can only assume McLaren will bring hospitality to Indycar never seen before for both current McLaren owners and potential clients. As with many sponsors, you could assume opportunities to meet Alonso, get access that most plebeians don't get....etc.

The question is, do you have any interest in Indycar now and would the prospect of all these rumors coming true make you a new Indycar fan?

2. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    I would definately yes. Not currently an Indy fan but could be. Would like to see McLaren win at something ;) McLaren does great race events though. I'm typing this while travelling to a McLaren race event lol

3. markjeansonne

markjeansonne Rookie

Dec 7, 2017
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Mark A. Jeansonne
    Definitely has my interest. I have a McLaren 12C..
    By coincidence, ONLY reason I went to the Indy 500 last year was to take my son see the McLaren entry & Alonso.
    (I love Indy car racing, but usually only watch on TV b/c nothing in my area.)

4. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
  5. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I did watch the Indy 500 last year for the first time just to see how Alonso would do, but it probably wouldn't draw me into the series since the only thing more boring than modern F1 is oval track racing which I think makes up most of the Indy season. Now if McLaren entered some factory cars in the various sports car series out there, then yes absolutely I'd make time to watch.

6. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Thanks for putting in your 2 cents guys. I'll pass along your thoughts to the Indycar board.

7. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    I use to be an Indy guy many years ago, this would definitely peak my interest in the series again.

TeamF1Jr likes this.
  8. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Alonso just won at Lemans. Car was utterly dominant, but look at his pace relative to others- at night = 3 seconds a lap faster.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The lead team was not pushing and protecting the car. I agree Alonso drove well at night but the other team was in cruise control.

They were 10 laps ahead of their competition 11 hours in. They finished 12 ahead.

10. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I like Indycars. I vintage raced a March/Cosworth 87C. It's way more competitive than F1. Admittedly it's basically a spec series. I like the road course and street races. Ovals put me to sleep. Went to Indy once...... lasted 20 laps. Fortunately, we were in a suite with places to stretch out!

Alonzo would be a great plus. He seems like a genuinely good guy.

11. Aiden

Aiden Karting

Mar 13, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Aiden Naughton
    I was a fan of Indy Cars and Champ Car when the teams had input in the chassis and engines they ran. There was competition. Tony George killed that. I haven't followed the series since. I don't think that I would follow merely because Alonso came in as a driver. Now, if McLaren fielded a car, and the rules changed, and teams were allowed to build chassis and engines, instead of it being a glorified Toyota Celebrity race, I might start to watch again.