Question for the braintrust | FerrariChat

Question for the braintrust

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Chupacabra, Jul 10, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Very simple - would you buy a 993 right now for, let's say...$120-150k? Assuming perfect mechanicals and near perfect cosmetics. Up to date services and tires, etc. C2 coupes only, standard colors and typical options.

I won't go all into my reason for posting the question until later. I'm curious what the opinions are.

2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I would only consider the abolsute best example of a C4S at that price range. Its all hype, they just aren't worth it. Better buying a 99.1 GT3 or any other later model in that price range.

4re308 and Shorn355 like this.
  3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Texas Forever, 4re308 and Shorn355 like this.
  4. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Ha!

I was following this car, but I would most certainly NOT pay $82+ auction fees+shipping+chain box repairs for a car with unknown actual mileage reading 114,000...but BAT seems to exist somewhere outside of reality.

I did, however locate a car that is serviced, much less than half the mileage and in a color combo I love (Arena/Tan) for about $20k more than that auction result.

I should mention that I'm not really into 911s beyond the 997 except for the (GT3 Touring) and the 993 is likely my favorite car that I have owned. I'm not all that concerned about speed. So to me, they're worth some premium...but the last thing I want to do right now is buy high and then have the market take a dump, because as much as I love 993s, I HATE losing money unless of course it is a part of normal depreciation.

Appreciate the opinions!

5. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Anything around $80k for a nice (with proper maintenance and verified carfax/mileage) normal 993 C2 FROM A DEALER OR PROPER GREY MARKET DEALER FAMILIAR WITH/SPECIALIZING IN PORSCHE <not "BAT"> is a good spend and fabulous car.

Closer to/above 6 figures needs to be a C4S- mid 6 figures needs to be a turbo.

Cheers :cool:

Gh21631 and Chupacabra like this.
  6. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    If you want the final iteration of the air-cooled 911... that's the market today for a good one. You can't compare a 993 to a modern 911.

Bullfighter likes this.
  7. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    As indicated above, I agree. They are special cars and are certainly valuable to me. _Overpaying_ in what I think (admittedly, I’m not always right) is an unsustainable market is not something I’m interested in, though. So I’m mostly interested in how people are viewing such a purchase at present. I’m mainly concerned with cars that are in fantastic shape but not low mileage garage queens. Cars that hold their value but are able to be driven (not into the ground mind you) and enjoyed - anything else is worthless to me.

8. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Here is my thought FWIW on "overpayment" of something that is being impacted by the market and/or supply and demand - whether it be cars or watches (both currently impacted).

If you are buying out of passion and desire then overpaying is fine but don't pretend you are buying from a financial/investment perspective - Simply come to grips with the fact that "I want XX and can afford XX and know that I am going to pay more to obtain XX now versus later". So if you WANT a 993 (or Rolex Daytona for example) NOW then find and buy the best example you can buy that fits your wants/needs and realize that you are buying out of passion - nothing wrong with that.

If you are buying with an investment mindset then wait until the market calms down and 993s are back to sane prices where you will at least be flat if not possibly some appreciation but not a lot when you factor in maintenance/run costs. Same with the Rolex - build a relationship with an AD and get on the list - you will pay MSRP and nothing more and will never lose a dime on the watch - but you won't retire on it either.

There is no sin in paying a high price to obtain something desirable sooner rather than later or due to finding "the one" but that decision needs to be made out of passion and desire - not the hope/promise of financial gain or stability.

Just my .02 - Cheers :)

9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    $150K… no
    $120K… probably, for the right car, right colors, right history.

I paid north of $90K last year for a one-owner, no stories 1993 964 coupe. It felt overpriced, but there were only about 520 sent to the U.S. to begin with, and I liked the slate grey and factory Cup 1 wheels, and the later 964s are scarcer and improved over the early ones. There’s nothing else that has come up for sale since then at a lower price that would cause me to have second thoughts. This was a great spec, so I bought it. I may never sell it. I was originally looking for another 993, but this car came along and it was too perfect for me to pass.

My opinion is that a “must have” 993, one that you feel checks all the boxes, is worth stretching a bit to buy. Owners tend to hang onto these cars, so the buying opportunities aren’t endless.

But we don’t have a crystal ball, and Porsche isn’t making any more air-cooled 911s. You could wait 5 years and maybe prices will settle, or maybe not. But we will all be 5 years older…

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

italiafan, davem and Chupacabra like this.
  10. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I hear ya!

Its really not an investment scenario for me; rather, I don’t want to spend $120k and in six months realize I could have kept my pants on and picked it up for $80k.

I _think_ it’s clear prices will come down and perhaps have already started, but then again I NEVER would have predicted this craziness. Seems the consensus here is that is probably an accurate assessment, though.

Appreciated!

Shorn355 likes this.
  11. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Ahhhh, hell…now you’re talking to my very assertive slightly irrational side haha! :D

PS - you’re correct, too. I held onto my 993 for the better part of a decade.

12. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    If the right car comes along, buy it. So you pay a bit more. Maybe the market will move in your favor, maybe it will go against you. But you got your car.

Remember that with the higher market right now, cars are being offered for sale that will not be available if/when the market turns down. Porsche made a lot of 993s, but the pool of good ones is still somewhat small.

Bullfighter likes this.
  13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I've had them all since 83' and the 993's are way over valued.

Texas Forever likes this.
  14. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    donv, Texas Forever and Gh21631 like this.
  15. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    IMO, your decision to buy a 993 now or wait to hope that prices will settle is dependent on your real primary motivation. If your motivation is to own and enjoy the car for an indefinite period of time then buying today is rational. However if your primary motivation is for investment purposes and joy of ownership is secondary then I should think waiting for prices to settle is more appropriate decision. I personally believe that the probability of at least a short term recession is 60% - 70% probable, in which case I would expect the value of all luxury assets (cars, boats, airplanes, second vacation homes etc.) to dip for a period.

16. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    The reality for me is enjoyment trumps all else...I do however have two other great cars that more than sustain me (997S and 5757M), so I guess I (not unlike many here) have the good fortune of not "suffering" the absence of a great 993.

I largely agree about the recession point and have been anticipating it for some time. I'd prefer not to say I told you so, but I think your estimate of probability is quite realistic.

Perhaps what this all comes down to is that I'm just an old-before-his-time miser...:D

I really do appreciate the fact that so many opinions are trending more toward heart rather than head. Sign of true enthusiasts and those who know joie de vivre!

randkin likes this.
  17. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    You know, the 575M is all your fault. You've done enough. :)

As usual, you are a man of exquisite automotive taste and let's just say I wouldn't rule that out!

18. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Given that you have two excellent fun vehicles which I was not aware, I personally would be more inclined to delay the purchase to a later date hoping for a more favorable price entry point. The exception being if you found a car that checked all the boxes and is pretty much exactly what you are looking for. Personally I prefer the appearance of thr 964 over the 993 and the 997 over both on solely appearance stand point, I am not hung up on “air cooler” Pcars but then I do still have my old 1977 930 TC.

19. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    There's truly no wrong choice there! 993, 997, 964 are my favs in order. I would kill for a good RSA and actually would take one of those over any garden variety 993, as much as I love them. I was JUST lamenting to @zygomatic how I missed out on a cherry RSA a few years back for $50k. Oh my lord...STUPID! haha

More and more I'm staring to cool my jets a bit. I shouldn't be in a hurry.

I should also add that this is what Zygomatic has been trying to tell me privately for like a week. Wise man, I should listen. :)

20. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This. Wait for a great one, the way you would have ordered it new. As I posted earlier: Maybe prices will settle... maybe not. Hard to motivate a seller with a loss.

And if a great 964 C2 coupe comes along, consider it. It's sort of vintage/classic, but with suspension improvements and a/c that actually works. It reminds me of the 328/TR era at Ferrari, when the cars were raw but livable.

Gratuitous photo attached.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    That particular car would be the base 964 for me. Just gorgeous.

I've often expressed similar ideas re: 964/993 and 328. Real sweet spots for the respective marques.

Still haven't ruled out a black 328...

zygomatic, Bullfighter and Shorn355 like this.
  22. No.

While I enjoy driving a 993 immensely, I would not want to ever own one.

They're like beautiful call girls. Great for the weekend. To put a ring on? No.

23. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris

My advice is admittedly a mixed bag. Sure, I may find you a 575 now and again. And I support your urge for a RSA. But I'm also the one saying "if you get a RSA you should come track it with me!"

So, basically, ignore a good 50% of everything I say.

Chupacabra likes this.
  24. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    #24 Island Time, Jul 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
    It depends on how much money you’re willing to lose in order to own it. That apples to all purchases that are motivated solely and only by the heart and personal want.

The 997S is one of the two favorite Porsches that I’ve ever owned. Great car.

zygomatic likes this.
  25. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Which 50 percent?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app