question on 575 cam timing | Page 3 | FerrariChat

question on 575 cam timing

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by stevepaa, Oct 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Its going to be at least another month or so before we start re assembling the heads on our 575 engine, but I took a look at the scribe marks on the back of the cams and the caps, they are all angled to some degree the same as yours. I would take it that the bottom of the mark on the cap corresponds with the slant at the top of the one on the cam in order to give a straight but slightly off vertical line?

2. dodici

dodici Karting

Mar 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA.
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I own a 1999 550 and it has rear cam marks so I would think most of them do.

3. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    When I set the RH intake to 1.5 mm at 18° the rear cam marks look like this. What do you do with marks like this?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I would like to see pics of ones that line up.

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Are you sure that the cap has not been mixed up? (not sure it's even possible)

5. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    see post 33 for both ends on RH bank

6. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I will rest the cams onto the heads on mine in the next few days then sit the caps on them and take a pic, as if they were installed and post it here.

7. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    So LH bank has an issue: I can either get 1.40mm or 1.70mm by moving one hole on cam gear. The WSM implies one hole will change by less than 0.15mm, half of what I see.

8. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    On travel and will do more next week. I think I will lube all the lobes in case that makes a difference

9. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

#59 Cribbj, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    Sorry for coming in late on this; I understand my cam curves & specs may have been adding to the confusion that Steve is experiencing. Hopefully I can clarify a few points rather than muddy the waters further.

First of all, any cam timing events, durations, etc. are always based on crankshaft degrees, not cam degrees. I don't know of any engine manufacturer that would specify otherwise, as it would cause extreme confusion to builders and hotrodders :)

Steve, I find this strange too, and it's different from the 550's spec. At TDC on Exhaust Stroke, the 550's intake valves are already supposed to be open 0.70mm, and the exhaust valves are still open too. This is what produces the "crossover" that Ferrari refers to, which is AKA as intake/exhaust valve overlap. The way I see it, there are two possible explanations for this anomaly in the 575M setup:

1. The -7 IO spec is correct, as this will result in the intake being closed at TDC on the Exhaust stroke, and there will be "no" crossover or valve overlap. This doesn't seem logical or correct to me, however, and I've never seen a high performance engine set up this way.

2. Both the -7 IO spec, AND the statement that the Intake dial indicator must read 0.0 at TDC on the Exhaust stroke are incorrect. This would seem to be the most logical case. You can confirm this since you are getting believable figures on your intake lifts at 18 degrees ATDC on Intake stroke; simply reverse the crank rotation until you're 50-60 degrees BTDC on Exhaust stroke, then bring it to TDC and read the dial indicator and see if it's 0.0 as the WSM specifies, or if it's some positive value (like the 0.70mm as per the 550's cams)

Remembering where you are in the 4 stroke cycle will help, and the cam/valve timing diagram is your friend here. What you're actually doing is measuring how much exhaust valve lift you still have at 18 degrees ATDC on the Intake stroke. As we all know, when you're on the Intake stroke, the exhaust valves will be closing (and rapidly), so if your exhaust lifts are greater than the WSM specifies, then you need to advance the exhaust cams to get them to close sooner., and conversely, if your lifts are less than the WSM specifies, you need to retard the cams. Study the cam/valve timing diagram and it'll be clearer.

All this is predicated on the assumption that the valve lifts are correct that Ferrari have published at 18 degrees ATDC on Intake stroke. As Brian mentioned earlier in the thread, you can confirm most of this by just setting the cams on the assembly marks and running through the procedure to check the figures, and I think you may have already done most of this, but I'd be very curious to know what lift you measured on the intake valve at TDC on the Exhaust stroke?

10. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
  11. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Paul, your cam plugs look like mine did :) Someone before me put an impact gun on them but forgot to use heat first (they're Loctited in there). Rounded out the internal hex nicely, which made for an interesting removal with an Easy-Out.

12. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Ha, I did think they looked a bit chewed up! added some new ones to my ever growing list of parts to order in the next week or so.

13. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    #63 stevepaa, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Paul, yours look like there is no difference between assembly marks and rear mechanic marks. That is great.

John, see my post 46. My 575 with cam assembly marks set up, shows crossover at ~13° ATDC. The WSM implies crossover at 18° ATDC.

14. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    John, I measured 0.10mm on RH intake and 0.13 mm on LH intake at TDC as intake opens and exhaust closes

15. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

So, you've confirmed the Intake valves are indeed starting to open at TDC Exhaust, and the Exhaust valves haven't fully closed, so both the -7 IO spec, and the statement about the dial indicator reading 0.0 at TDC are seemingly incorrect.

It would be good to hear from a pro who's been in a 575M and done this, to get another confirmation.

16. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Given that these cars are tourers rather than racers I bet the vast majority have just been re set up as per the marks during any servicing works rather than ever being degreed, especially as they have no doubt run fine from the day they left the factory anyway on those marks.

17. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Paul, I think once a Ferrari tech has satisfied himself that the cams are timed correctly, it's probably a lock & swap operation every time after that, until/unless something happens to change the geometry (valve job, surfacing heads or deck, etc.). Brian indicated as much earlier in this thread as the Ferrari flat rate book doesn't allow enough time/money to do much else.

18. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    I am In NY area for a family visit this weekend and so I visited the mechanic that degreed my cams in 2012 and he uses .019 inch valve movement as his benchmark for timing, So I suspect that the specs on B3.02 of WSM are correct if the "historic Ferrari" nominal lift of 0.50 mm is assumed to occur at those specs. If I look at my plot (for nominal assembly marks aligned) then draw a line at 0.50 mm then the open and close specs as listed on B3.02 for intake and exhaust are close. Intake open at -7° BTDC means 7° ATDC and exhaust close +13° BTDC means 13° ATDC, so only the exhaust spec needs to be reinterpreted. I will set my cams per this method next week (just a slight adjustment from what I have now) and redo my plots.

19. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    The method detailed by the WSM of having crossover at 18° is just nonsense.

20. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    Local Ferrrari tech said that assembly marks are okay to use, car will run fine. Just not quite what degreeing might do, but who can tell. Just like FBB said.

21. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    After setting all cams to 0.5 mm lift as start and end of each lobe duration I got

cylinder 1
    RH intake open at 8° ATDC and close at 57° ABDC duration 229°
    RH exhaust open at 37° BBDC and close at 12° ATDC duration 229°

cylinder 12
    numbers are adjusted for 65° separation from cylinder 1
    LH intake open 7° ATDC and close at 56° ABDC duration 229°
    LH exhaust open at 37° BBDC and close at 12° ATDC duration 229°

18° ATDC yields lift of 1.45 mm within spec

So ignore the WSM method regarding exhaust, just set all lobes to 0.5mm for specifications on cam page B3.02 corrected as follows
    intake open 7°±1° ATDC
    intake close 56°± 1° ABDC
    exhaust open 36° ±1° BBDC
    exhaust close 13° ±1° ATDC

QED

22. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

That's retarded :) Literally......

23. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- Affirmative, and incidentally, the factory method worked fine on mine with all the marks lining up after degreeing cams using the WSM procedure. We also have 575M timing specs confirmed in the Superamerica (advanced 6 degrees) WSM. Int 575M -1/50, SA -7/56, Exh 575M 36/13, SA 42/7.

Too much thinking going on.

24. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    What I just did confirms my post 46 where I plotted lift versus crank angle with assembly marks right on. Intake is retarded.

I fail to undertatnd how the WSM can be followed for exhaust cams. At 18° ATDC the exhaust are at ~.1mm lift to close and the spec says they close at 13 ATDC.

I made a slight adjustment with this 0.5mm method and now my rear marks are good, and fronts moved slightly
    RB exh, RB int, LB int, LB exh. And I agree with WSM for intake.

Attached Files:

25. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    Terry what do these mean?