Question on mileage? | FerrariChat

Question on mileage?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Gabe325, Dec 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gabe325

Gabe325 Rookie

Dec 3, 2018
    Orlando FL
    Full Name:
    GABRIEL RAMIREZ
    Just checked out some Ferrari’s online for sale in Europe and it seems by what’s listed that people or rather the ferraris there particularly the 360’s all or most have over 30,000 plus miles. Some even more than 40,000 plus. It seems as if they drive them more than what’s available for sale in the American market..... are we not getting something that they do? I just bought mine and I’m going to drive it until the wheels fall off. Kudos to those guys who enjoy them as they were mean to. Just an observation I wanted to share.

XLNLIFE likes this.
  2. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    And they run better when used regularly!

3. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    And have more door dings. :(

4. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    and paint chips (aka road rash) :eek:

So...one can see...its far better to "own" a Ferrari (that alone provides the ego bump) and wash it and look at it and feed it hot cocoa. But by all means, do not drive it. If you must, please limit your "driving" to going to Parking and Posing (err, I mean Cars and Coffee) so that you can get more ego bump by showing many other people what you own and how pretty it is. All of that is needlessly risked by actually driving the car (and don't even think about lapping a track where you could drive it quickly without risk of killing anyone or ticket risk).

imahorse likes this.
  5. Terence Courtnage

Oct 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Terence Courtnage
    I have to agree. Owning a Ferrari is not so much about owning a Ferrari, it’s all about the resale value. And the best way to keep up the resale value is by not driving it.

I keep my Ferrari in the garage covered with the OEM cover and plugged into the OEM Ferrari battery tender. If I need to go out shopping and wish to impress people in the parking lot, I call a towing service to take the car to the store. I then park it in a prominent spot while pretending to be unaware of people watching me posing next to it. When I am done shopping at Walmart, I call the tow truck again to take me home.

I used to think that was strange until I read this:

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/08/02/lewis-hamilton-owns-15-cars-uses-tow-trucks/

6. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I don’t pamper mine because I know it won’t appreciate, but I admit I enjoy driving it as more of an occasion.

And there’s certain times I just don’t like to take it.... crazy parking lots, bad weather, rough roads, bad traffic, inappropriateness for work meetings etc. To me it’s more of a point A to point A car, than point A to Point B.

Unfortunately here in Canada, that leaves few opportunities to drive it lol. I thought I’d really rack up the miles on it, but I don’t seem to get much past 1000 miles per year. It’s why I strive to do all maintenance in th off season. If the car sat for a few weeks for repairs during driving season, I’d barely use it.

7. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    I did not realize the mental dilemma I was going to be faced with driving my F430 when it comes to adding up miles, road rash and how it may depreciate in value.
    I have come to the conclusion if you buy them correctly with high or low mileage for God sakes enjoy them when you can our Ferrari's like all cars do not like to be sitting around. Besides driving them is as much fun one can have with their cloths on...
    Happy Holidays.

8. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    40k miles is only approximately 2-3k a year guys depending on year it was made, get a grip, that is low!

.. Some of these 360's will be celebrating their 2 decades old birthday next year and people are worried that they have been driven "too" much at 2 to 3k a year. Pah, I think it's the minimum to actually keep everything lubricated, to stop seals drying out, oil coolers rusting internally, bushes sagging, etc.

Buying a garage queen is only going to end in tears if you actually try to drive it...

o31982, imahorse, XLNLIFE and 4 others like this.
  9. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    I know I've destroyed the value of my CS with 30K+ miles on it but I have stories, friends and smiles to go with each of those miles. I've never understood buying a car that drives like these cars do and then NOT drive it. It just doesn't make sense to me but I'm biased.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. velocegiallo

velocegiallo Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2017
    California
    Great photo

11. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Spot on. That´s what Ferrari ownership is all about to most Ferrari owners.

12. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Ditto re the photo - thats epic. Whats the story behind that pic please and how was it shot. Motion blur in Pshop?

13. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Good observation. Many are in game for the “bragging rights” associated with Ferrari ownership. Never will understand it. Be much easier and considerably less expensive to buy a poster and hang it in the garage. Congratulations on your new purchase and keep that mindset. We never what life has in store for us so drive it as you say until “the wheel fall off.” Have fun!

14. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    157k miles. This is the way Ferrari´s are supposed to be enjoyed.

15. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    great mindset. its a bit harder to live out as the costs can get high and little dings and scratches the come with high mileage can start to bother you. i just had a full clear bra put on mine for this very reason.

16. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    My cars are my hobby. I try to make money other ways.
    While I like to keep them up both mechanically and cosmetically, I don't stare at the ceiling at night worrying about the resale value because I drive them.
    I haven't a care about what someone thinks about my Ferrari ownership. I bought the car for me. I want to drive it-- Not be "seen" in it.
    I refuse to let any of that get in the way of enjoying one of the most enjoyable cars I have in my 360.

"I never realized how happy I could be once I stopped caring about what other people thought about me"
    Drew Carey.

17. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    I wish I could be more help about the shot but we were on a group run down to support Motor4Toys and a friend, Cesar Rodriguez, took this shot from his car on the way there. It was pretty early in the morning when we left hence the sun coming up which added to the effect.

TheDiffuser likes this.
  18. mdoc3

mdoc3 Karting
    Owner

Jun 12, 2014
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Nobody on his deathbed ever said, I wish I had put less miles on my Ferrari. Enjoy as long as you are able to do so...

XLNLIFE, Zanny1, Fenz and 2 others like this.
  19. XLNLIFE

XLNLIFE Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2005
    SOUTHERN CA
    Full Name:
    JEREMY :
    Having a Ferrari and NOT driving it is like have a Playboy Centerfold Model for your girlfriend and waiting for the next guy to "F" her.

20. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I never talk about milage but I've never let my cars sit. I always felt that I could die tomorrow. Do I want my last drive to be in a POS because I didn't want to put miles on the car? Seriously?

I've taken cross country trips in a Testarossa, Mondial t and a CS. Done hillclimbs in Nevada in a 348 and set an unofficial record of 3:20 from Orange County, CA to Phoenix, AZ. I don't regret a mile, memory or friend I've made along the way.

The big plus is they actually work better when driven hard and regularly!

21. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    funny stuff