Question on Value | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Question on Value

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Karen Slattery, Aug 11, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Depending on the condition 10k to 50k. But you will definitely get a better price if everything is working. Sitting for 6 years, you will likely have a host of problems that need fixing. Mainly the cleaning of the fuel system. A car that's been garage kept and doesn't have any rust will be more valuable.

A "timing belt issue" could be a few different things.

1. There is some other problem that he thought was a timing belt, but could be something totally different. (e.g. AC belt making noise)

2. The timing belts need replacement as a regular maintenance item.

3. One of the timing belts has broken. This is the worst case scenario, and likely led to other engine damage such as bent valves. This damage may be able to be fixed without replacing the entire engine.

2. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    2 T's on ebay now for $65k (each). Used car prices have been going up in general lately.

paulchua likes this.
  3. gunn

gunn Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gunn S
    3. Replace with what?
    Its not like there's a bunch of remans or new crate engines just sitting on a the shelf somewhere like its an LS or Ford Windsor.
    Anyone fixing a car like this would have to just teardown the block for a full rebuild themselves, send out the work they cannot do themselves, or have a shop do it (the last option not likely to be cost effective given that there are running/driving models which can be had for not much more).

Im betting on a DIYer being the right way for the OP to get the most value out of the car.

4. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    New ones are a bit rare at this point. But there are used ones on ebay, or Redbay cars from time to time.

This one is nice except the engine fire and thrown rod:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284865102275?hash=item42534881c3:g:R1UAAOSwOzpdVHJB&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoBTXgklZsev42ilHcGr3QxpzH25SCgHJ3gqZg1l11o1uTlyFaPgjbLlWyOGmd1U3%2B09WiIyzXqlZkMoYioXQjcrRsTmS99mQMe9P4mc7lcvZtD2asLIR2SFlp0RfunjtjM3eHvNqExGpNlv45HA0JxpE%2BI%2FlwD46A4ho8fiZDKFvTiZN1xKoZMdXH2QgQ%2FtzAvHjAwb7EOWPobsoA%2FhTm6Y%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5rlxLPXYA

5. gunn

gunn Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gunn S
    So you propose replacing one engine that at worst has a busted timing belt, valve damage, and maybe damage to a piston head with one that has been through some amount of fire damage AND needs the bottom end gone through (after all, how many times has someone thrown a rod and doesn't score up the cylinder)? you solution isn't necessarily in better shape AND is possibly in worse condition (esp i the "small" engine fire damaged the metallurgy) than OPs questionable engine.

Why spend $8500 to fix someone elses problem when you can always fix your own?
    My point still stands: you aren't going to find any drop in replacements for this car... unless it's at a completely uneconomical price point. A more likely solution is that some enthusiast with decent mechanical skills buys this engine and takes it all apart him/herself. They will either fix it, part out the car... or if its in good enough condition, convert it to a more modern drivetrain.

As Stanceworks has shown, there's plenty of room for a K24+turbo swap, a J30 swap is possible on the cheap, or do something stupid and start down the EV conversion path.

afterburner likes this.
  6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Yay! Love to hear it!

7. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Not proposing replacing the engine. Just pointing out the fact that there are spare engines out there.

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    A white T sold on BAT for $65 a couple days ago. 2 More up for sale.

:)

Also, nice to see a Mondial on this year's 75-year Casa Ferrari (once again)

9. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    If a VW powered 914 is worth $39,900.00 ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125472544287?hash=item1d36bf161f:g:VeYAAOSw3vpi~851&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAkPhcXcMGvy6h7WVSF1FFFbgsI8ARzpvBGrNPYmJ%2B7tZByL7iat8UHIBCsPtOgOJUyzOXPGspzxTcsXk5vdcV7nAKhYO3a8l29irFnm5y%2BHq3N8yKSF8fF9AL2MvYF7FdV7FgD0GN3sgtgFc9Wb0i93OGFSDZVLhnc0YnY6AUUouBUeDi4rPj92ZUFw8obHWvdw%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4jvjsXZYA

paulchua likes this.
  10. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Sorry for your loss Karen.

11. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Also sorry for your loss.

Im also in Indianapolis. While im not interested in buying the car, what would be your ideal plans with it? Do you intend to bring back here to have it assessed and serviced or let whatever happens be done in St louis? I asume there are other things involved with your sons estate, probably more pressing, but what would your timeframe be or does the car need to me moved somewhere sooner than later. Before you consider dealing it away, does anyone else in the family want it for sentimental reasons or getting into automobilia?

If bringing the car back to Indiana, i can pass you some local names of people that may help get it sorted

12. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    OP hasn't posted since 8/13/22. I suspect the OP is either dealing with "family issues" or the car is sold and he/she no longer needs assistance.

If you're still there OP, let us know what happened to the car! :)

James

13. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Car has been sold and description and photos are on the Facebook Mondial page. At least one broken belt, and pretty rough around the edges, but saveable. Sounds like new owner has known the family/car for quite awhile and plans are to restore it.

14. Rarebmx

Rarebmx Rookie

Sep 5, 2022
    Imperial, Missouri USA
    Full Name:
    Rob V
    I'mgratefultobe the new owner of the 85 Mondialfrom Mrs. Slattery. I knew her son and this car meant a great deal to him.
    We have only made time to get it into a more safe location, which is currently at a friend's house. I need to shuffle some cars around so I can give the Mondial a double bay at my home before tearing into the car.
    I do believe it threw one of the belts. However, I was told the car would still run, just ran rough. I will not attempt to start the car, going to inspect the cam belts first. I believe I'll become a regular here.
    The Mondial has 34k on the clock
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Cleaned up a bit
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    As it sat for over 10 years.

jjmalez, ellum and ronfrohock like this.
  15. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Welcome to the forum and great you will take care of this one!

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    congratulations!