Question on washing an F430 Spider | FerrariChat

Question on washing an F430 Spider

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by cole328, Feb 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    OK..sorry for the second "newbie" question, but I assumed safe rather than sorry. Also, I did a search, but not much seemed to come up.

I plan to wash the car myself, as I find the process very therapeutic. Howevere, as I stared at the car this weekend, I noticed that even with the top up, the "grllls" next to the glass lead directly into the engine bay. So, the dumb question is this...safe to assume that when water runs into these grills, it is channeled somewhere safely away from the components of the motor? or, Should I cover them up prior to washing the car?

I am sorry if this is a silly question, but this is a first Ferrari for me, and I certainly do not want to do something stupid that hurts the engine. Thank you!

2. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    I have a 2003 360 Spider and know exactly what you are referring to. I also wash my car with a hose and bucket. I have not found any problem having water running into the air vents. However, I never direct the spray into them. Nor have I investigated where the water runs to. I wash the car as normal using a mitt but am careful to avoid as much water getting into the grills as possible. I've had no problems. You may have to clean out minor water pots on the engine compartment side panels.

3. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    OK...sounds great thank you Just wanted to check, as its my first car of this caliber. I did find a post where someone mentioned they may some clear plastic covers that they cut to size and laid over the grills I may try that just to minimize the amount of water that goes in there.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I washed mine all the time and I felt the F430 spider is probably the most difficult car to wash of all time. And, part of it is all the nooks, crannies, and the vents you mentioned.

I formed a method.

First, use s little water as possible on the back glass area and try to avoid direct spraying the metal vents.

Second, as soon as you wash it and rinse it, clean the back glass and the rear hatch. Then RAISE IT, leave it open, and let the water drip. Clean as much as you can before it drips off the raised hatch.

Third, clean the water off the headers, the frame, and the muffler. Dry any area under the hood that got wet before going to the rest of the car. As you clean the car, keep looking back for water that keeps dripping.

Fourth, after drying the rest of the car, close the hood then raise it again. Its guaranteed more water will be under the hood again.

The car has some other very difficult areas to dry. One is the rear tail lights. The other if the front bumper where it meets the body. It seems no matter how many times you dry it, water keeps appearing there. AND, make sure the top is very dry before folding it back down.

cole328 likes this.
  5. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    I always used the Leaf blower after washing to remove the excess water in the engine bay, and the remainder of the car for that matter. . Now I am the proud owner of the 8 HP car dyer

Chris_gon likes this.
  6. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Just curious, what happens if it rains while you are driving? Where does that water go then? One would think Ferrari considered that when designing the car, then again maybe not ... Though I agree, not running a hose into a vent is a good idea.

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Nothing happens. It just makes it a bit messy back there. When the car is moving the air flow prevents most water from flowing in. At rest it will have some but it's just that you have to clean it afterwards.

A lot of mid engine cars have similar vents. Its only an aesthetic issues and causes no real harm.

I had the CF rear "challenge grill" which had additional vents to help let airflow through to exit out the back. I found it actually worked.

8. sandreb

sandreb Karting

Feb 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sander B.
    If your car is not too dirty, you can just use a rinseless wash like ONR. You will just need lots of MF towels.

9. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Many years ago the owners manual always stated “washing the car is best left to the professionals.”
    To me washing the car allows me time to enjoy it’s beauty and “bond” with the car. Best enjoyed I have found with a nice glass of wine. A joy not a chore.

10. Chris_gon

Chris_gon Rookie

Sep 28, 2017
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Chris Goncalves
    Same here !

11. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Water will not hurt the car! Wash away....

12. Jaldo

Jaldo Rookie

Jan 15, 2017
    Northeast U.S.
    I've ran mine thru the automatic car wash. Any problem with that?

13. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
  14. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Do not use automatic car washes. The brushes will cause scratching and the soap is too harsh.

15. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Anzir...simply gorgeous courtyard.... jealousy strikes!