Question re: Air Conveyor on alternator | FerrariChat

Question re: Air Conveyor on alternator

Discussion in '308/328' started by lopena, Mar 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    My car is. U.S.-spec 1988.5 328GTB.

I’ve noticed that my car is missing the flexible hose (“pipe #121190”) that comes off the back of the “air conveyor #121837”, which sits on the back of the alternator:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I presume the only function of this air pipe is to send cool air to the alternator...is that correct?

Do you foresee any problems running without one of these flexible pipes (as the car has probably been doing for years)?

many thanks as always,
    Alan
    N.J.

2. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I believe it is just SCAT tubing (used on aircraft). It allows cool air to be drawn into the alternator. Not expensive, unless you buy it from Ferrari. Is it needed? Ferrari thought so.;)

3. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Considering that the alt sits nestled in the exhaust... Yeah, fresh air is highly recommended.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I would also vote yes as the exhaust is right below (out of the parts diagram....)

Not on early cars of course, they were learning (and CATS added heat too)

5. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    FWIW, my '89 (US) 328 doesn't have that "air conveyor." Wonder if Ferrari dropped that at some point OR the conveyor on mine was removed by the original owner or the PO? In any case, the alternator doesn't seem to be any the worse for it in the 13 years I have owned the car despite cross-country trips and operation in 105F+ temps in stop/go traffic.

6. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Please PM me if anyone needs a new orange hose.

Saabguy likes this.
  7. Richqv

Richqv Rookie

Jul 7, 2021
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    Richard Stephens
    Can I ask whether this hose connects to anything, e.g. ducting to the side scoops, or does it just pick up cool / fresh air from below? Asking for my Mondial QV as it fell off mine when I moved the alternator during cam belt replacement. Thanks in advance!

8. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    It's about 12" or so, and points underneath the car (just like the diagram). It's not incorporated into the side scoops.

Richqv likes this.
  9. ZOOOOMZ

ZOOOOMZ Karting

Aug 14, 2013
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Tim Cronin
    Based on the heavy oily film that coats my alternator shortly after I clean it, I consider this fresh air duct essential to limiting how much of that oily vapor gets sucked into the alternator. I sourced an exact replacement duct for my 1988.5 328 (correct red/orange color and identical spiral stripe, in high temperature polyester material) from an aircraft supplier. I have about 8 feet of it on hand, which I'd sell for $35/foot, if anyone is interested. My car used about 15", as I recall.

Richqv likes this.
  10. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  11. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I always thought that hose was for an air exit not an air intake.

12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I believe the fan (at the pulley) is pulling the air into the unit. IE, the rear of the unit is the air intake.

(Based on my understanding of similar alternators on other cars.)

13. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I can only say that in a lot of the 308/328 F documentation they give conflicting information. For example, in the overall 328 SPC figure, the alternator fan is shaped in a way that would draw air in the front and blow it out the back with the CW engine rotation:
    But, if you look at the actual 328 alternator fan part on that same SPC page, it is shaped the other way around such that it would draw air in the back and blow (fling) it out the front with CW engine rotation:

In the TR documentation, they are more consistent, and show an alternator fan shape that would intake air at the back and blow it out the front. Still, since I think that there are engines that rotate is both directions so it might be real easy for this to get confused/messed up everywhere ;).

miketuason likes this.
  14. Richqv

Richqv Rookie

Jul 7, 2021
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    Richard Stephens
    Thanks for responding, very helpful!

15. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Even my early 308s had a stand off bracket and round Heat Shield, so they knew the location was an issue...

17. Richqv

Richqv Rookie

Jul 7, 2021
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    Richard Stephens
    Thanks for the pics. I was puzzled about how the ducting avoided the exhaust, but see now that the lower bracket ensures that. I might have put 2 and 2 together eventually myself but this helps lots. Great community on here : )