Questions about copper washers. | FerrariChat

Questions about copper washers.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ak Jim, Apr 19, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    #1 Ak Jim, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi, please clue me in on copper washers. Can copper washers be reused? How many times can they be reused? Any other info would be appreciated. I am doing some carb work and don't know if these can be reused. Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    At the oil pan plug it's 'intended' for one time use, (I routinely get two or three) not sure about fuel lines I would suspect the same??

Others will know more...I don't car if my OIL drips, fuel would be a different decision...LOL!

3. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    You are better off replacing them.

BUT, if you are one of those frugal types (like me), you can take a torch to them, get them cherry red, quench them in water, and reuse them.

It reanneals the washers.

4. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    Plain flat copper washers are reuseable.

Copper crush washers are designed to seal with a given force against the mating surfaces. They are one-shot and replaced new with each use.

Crush washers are expensive as things go, being just under a dollar each, but trying to achieve a seal without replacing them can be more expensive in the long run.

5. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    They look good to me, id re-use them. :):)

6. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    So Paul it look to me like these are the plain flat copper washers? Thanks. I don't want to mess this one up since were talking about gasoline here!

7. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    To reuse properly just heat them with a propane torch until they glow. Then just let them cool, do not drop them in cold water. No problem to do this 2-3 times, but eventually they will wear and leak.

8. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    With an acetylene torch; Blacken them with soot using no O2, just acetylene, then heat them enough to burn off the soot. Do not quench.

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #9 Steve Magnusson, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
    These are DIN 7603 sealing washers (DIN 7603A to be more exact in this case). After use (when they've been crushed and strain-hardened), they will not be as soft as when new (when they are in a fully-annealed condition), so their resealing characteristics won't be as good (although they often work OK for reuse if the corresponding surfaces they are contacting are flat/parallel/no scratches).

Manual reannealing can work, but they should really be heated and cooled in a non-oxidizing environment -- not exactly something a DIYer has laying around ;).

The sizes used on a carb are not exotic. If you do an internet search on "DIN 7603A washers" that should give you several sources, or, if you do a search on "Global Metrics" (a supplier that's been mentioned here before), that should get some prior threads.

PS You guys need to look up the properties Copper. The post-heating condition of Copper does not depend on the cooling rate -- doesn't matter if they are liquid-quenched, or not, after heating:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annealing_(metallurgy) -- see the 2nd paragraph.

10. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    STEVE,

LOL +101
    Copper does not quench harden....... why?
    It does not change crystalline phase when heated.
    (For,, it is not Carbon Steel.)

Edwardo
    Materials Engineer

11. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Thanks for the info. I posted what I was taught.
    This makes sense as plumbers inadvertently quench copper pipes every time they are wiped after a joint is soldered, without consequence.
    My lesson for today.

12. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Sorry if I came across as being too critical Ross, and for large flat parts (like copper head gaskets) the "do not quench" rule (i.e., using air cooling) is a good one because you can't make a mistake using the air cooling method. Liquid cooling can be used, but the gasket needs to inserted vertically into the water so both sides cool at equal rates to prevent warping. If you put a hot copper head gasket flat-wise into a pan of water, it will warp significantly. Anyway, just trying to give an explanation why the meaning of "rules" from knowledgable people sometimes need a little more underlying explanation, or an understanding of the application, to follow the reasoning behind the rule.

13. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I've reused the CU crush seal on my Porsche 10 times at least. I anneal it each time then remove the oxide with emery cloth. That takes all of 5 minutes including cool down time in air. It have never leaked a drop at that seal. I cannot remember when I replaced the CU oil pan seal on my 328. I have another vehicle that uses an aluminum seal. It too has been used several times with no leaks yet.

14. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I had no idea that the copper crush washers should be changed after each use.

I have used the same ones for the last three years, the ones that act as sealers at the drain plugs and gear oil plugs on a 348.

So far no leaks, but after reading this thread I will start using new ones each year.

15. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #15 Steve Magnusson, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
    Yeah, but I won't work for $3/hour ;)

For me, the decison to reuse, or not, gets down to risk. On an oil drain plug, a little oil weeping (if it happens) is no big deal; on a K/KE-Jet system with (very thin) fuel at 75 psi, it's just too risky not to use a fresh one -- JMO.

16. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    For the drain pan plugs, I bought a whole bunch at once (I think 25?...) with a parts order several years ago. Every oil change, I have a fresh gasket at hand.

Plus 20 or so of used gaskets waiting to be re-annealed for future use. That means I have close to a 50 year supply of copper gaskets!

:)

17. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    +1! :D:D

Id reuse it and if it leaks, it leaks. Replace it then! :D:D

18. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    #18 cmt6891, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
    Looks like you are rebuilding a carb which is a labor intensive project. Probably more than one since it's a Ferrari. Since new copper washers are readily available why would you even consider not replacing them, particularly since the cost is insignificant. Why risk doing it over again because the old washer failed. Just my $0.02.

19. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Because I have to go out and purchase them and that is an inconvenience. I've been reusing them for over 25 years and have yet to have one leak. I began doing this with the Mercedes I owned back in the early 80's. When, upon my judgment which seems to be impeccable when it comes to reusing washers, they become too used I replace them. I firmly believe that most people over tighten them vastly shortening their usable life. I also firmly believe that Ferrari owners seem to get a 'charge' out of unnecessary spending on their cars. And lastly, I have two good friends who are have graduate degrees in metallurgy.

20. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Im with you mate. :):)

21. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    #21 fastradio, Apr 22, 2011
    So did this guy...

22. andy2175m4@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy Rein
  23. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    #23 Mr. V, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
    I do a fair amount of wrenching on Bosch K-Jet fuel injection systems (Volvo 244 Turbo), and reuse the copper washers throughout, without any failures.

The fuel is under considerable pressure, and has never leaked.

In reusing them, I don't re-anneal them; instead, I smooth them a bit using emery paper.

So far, so good.

24. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    RIP

25. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    #25 350HPMondial, Apr 22, 2011
    That's why I "Only" use Ferrari Copper Washers. They come placed in a little bag, by Italian women, with a Cavalino on it. See...! I could maybe part with 1,,, for $ 1,000,000,000.00 usa

PM me
    Ha.

Edwardo