Questions About F430 Door Micro-Switches (battery drain) | FerrariChat

Questions About F430 Door Micro-Switches (battery drain)

Discussion in '360/430' started by AZHokie, Apr 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AZHokie

AZHokie Karting

Aug 20, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Hey All,

After doing some research here, it looks like I've gotten to the bottom of the battery drain on my F430. If I don't leave it hooked up to my trickle charger, the car battery drains in 4-5 days. I also noticed the window lights are always on.. I now know I have a bad window microswitch on the driver's side, as the window does not go all the way up when I close the door.

It also appears that I have a bad lock microswitch on the passengers side, as the switch does nothing right now. I didn't get the good fortune of both switches being bad on the same side, so I will have to take both door panels off. My question is: Is there anyway for me to confirm that it is the lock microswitch that is bad on the passengers side, and not something else? Looking at the fuse diagrams, it looks like there is only one fuse for the locks, and the drivers side lock switch works fine. I would hate to take the door apart only to find its not the lock microswitch.

Thanks for any insight you can offer!

2. ShadowF430

ShadowF430 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason
    First question, is the fuse for the locks just for the doors on the inside. I have the same issue you have. It drives me nuts...... Stupid lights staying on. For my car, both the doors locks don't work inside. I never use them, but it bothers me not having a car in perfect condition “as much as I can”. We pulled the window module from under the drivers dash and that turn the lights off. Tried swapping it with another unit, but they came back on. One shop end it off by saying, it could be in the gauge cluster. But I find it hard to believe, since the door locked themselves don’t work. I am still confident it has something to do with the ground on the door lock, or the microswitch, or something in there. Another suggestion that I was given, was to disconnect the power cable on the inside of the door, near the frame. I was told if you disconnect it, and then disconnects the door sensor on the frame, you could isolate which door wasn’t working. I just haven’t got a chance to try on my car, to see if one door or the other is causing the lights to stay on

3. AZHokie

AZHokie Karting

Aug 20, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Based on some other forum threads:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/this-stuff-has-gone-wrong-in-my-430.568777/

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/f430-window-switch.267709/

I'm confident that I have a bad window micro-switch in the driver's side door, when I close the door I see the window go up and then back down a bit. I don't see this on the passenger side. Plus, the window switches always stay lit. The lock is a bit more tricky, I'm not sure if it's the actual switch on the door that you lift with your finger, or the micro-switch.

I hoped for a layup and unscrewed the switch on the passenger's side without removing the whole door panel, just to see if anything looked out of sorts. But, no dice. FYI, lining that switch back up to screw it into the door once you take it off is a PITA!

4. AZHokie

AZHokie Karting

Aug 20, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Looking some more, I found this very cool post by Chocorem:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/my-new-f430-and-its-mods.474477/

He found the same micro-switches and soldered them to the existing wiring connectors, and saved a ton of $$$. Has anyone else done this? It would be great to know where to order them online, this could make this fix much easier to stomach!

5. AZHokie

AZHokie Karting

Aug 20, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    In case anyone is following this.. I found the micro-switches in the US at Allied Electronics, the manufacturer is ZF Electronics, and the part # is DC1C-C3AA. I'll update once I have them installed, thanks to Chocorem for his earlier post on this!

whatheheck likes this.
  6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Excellent find! Thanks for sharing.

Dan

7. mnogj

mnogj Karting

Jun 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Both my inner door lock switches dont work. Doors lock from the outside with the remote fob. I am wondering if the door lock fuse is bad or both door lock micro-switches need to be replaced.
    If the fuse goes bad, would I be able to lock the doors with the remote?
    Is it common that both door lock switches go bad a the same time?
    Driving me crazy that I cannot lock the doors from the inside...

8. ShadowF430

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I am curious to know as well. this is the same issue mine has. locks with the key and fob, but both inside don't work. I don't care as I never lock the door, but the light bugs me knowing its on. Still waiting on an idea. I thought is there a relay for just the inside lock. a shop said it could be an issue in the dash cluster, but how is that even possible?? I know we pulled window module out and it went off, put another used in and it went on. So I'm confident it something in between the doors and the window box under the dash. If you come up with any fixes, let me know :)

9. klointheridge

klointheridge Karting

Jun 5, 2017
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Long

I have the same issue...but add my dome light doesn't go off and my white cluster backlights don't work. Will send the cluster out to Francorchamps to get fixed and see if that doesn't fix anything else (I doubt it...but shall see).

10. ShadowF430

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason
    bringing this back. Any luck with this?

11. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Also, you might look for broken insulation on wires of the looms going to the doors, at the point where they bend. I've seen shorts from broken insulation and frayed wires there in vehicles which caused intermittent unrequested lock actuation and failure to actuate, along with battery drain.

12. zboost300

zboost300 Karting

Jan 27, 2019
    Any followup on the switch? I ordered the same one and got it, but this one has 3 wires instead of 2 like the oem one. Besides that it is identical.

What wires did you use?

13. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Post a pic
    It will be common and no and nc

14. Rosso_United_1999

Mar 31, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    #14 Rosso_United_1999, Sep 29, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    Reviving this thread

My 430 has:

- window switch lights constantly on
    - inner door locks (drivers anyway) not working

We did faff with the radio looking for a drain and disconnected the radio thinking it was that (perhaps it was actually these switches) - however after the radio was disconnected the drain seemed normal. Is it possible to trip something near the radio / the window buttons themselves and set this off?

The many weird and wonderful ways these cars can battery drain never ceases to amaze...

15. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Does your dome light go off when you close the door ?
    If no, look at your door open/close sensor , the prong in the door pillar; check both passenger and driver.
    If yes, it is most likely a door lock microswitch.

Rosso_United_1999 likes this.
  16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    For the door locks not working from the inside you need to look at the window module. This is mounted on the outboard side of the footwell behind the suspension module. On a uk RH drive it is to the right of my right knee if that makes sense. You will find a big alloy box with a smaller green box behind it- this green box is for the windows and has 3 plugs into it. They are subject to condensation on the card, you can open it up and pull the card out to see if ok. Then you need to spray the plug contacts, be sure the single multi pin connector is full home- it will end up parallel with the box, very easy for it to not be fully home.

17. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    According to the wiring diagrams, the Window ECU provides power for the switchlights. I assume the switches are lit anytime the Window ECU is powered. Are you saying the lights are illuminated with the ignition key in the OFF position?

So possibly a lock microswitch problem. Can you lock the driver's door with the key?

I only have a wiring diagram for the F430 Scud which doesn't have a lock switch, but it should be the same as the later 360's. If you can get access to the connector on the driver's door, activate the lock switch and see if you get continuity between pins 10 and 14.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Repeat using the door key.

18. Rosso_United_1999

Mar 31, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Interesting.. I had a situation where I found my dome light was still on overnight. So I turned it to the fully off position.

Do you have a part # for thr microswitch?

Also, I take this is just for the door locks not working? Any clue about the window switch lights?

19. Rosso_United_1999

Mar 31, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    OK thanks ill check this. Is the the same "window microswitch" referred to in post above?

20. Rosso_United_1999

Mar 31, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Hi

Yes, lights illuminated when key out, car locked / alarm on. They're just on on.

And yes I can lock the door with the key. It's a 2007 F430. Is the lock switch the same / different to the "window module?"

Qavion likes this.
  21. Rosso_United_1999

Mar 31, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Oh, on top of the two things mentioned above, I have fast clicking indicators and also a relay ticking sound about every 20 seconds from behind the dash. Not sure if this is all connected?

22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The lock microswitch is in the door (attached to the lock lever). You can probably see it in this very helpful YouTube video

The Window ECU may be faulty, but as you can lock the door with the key, this would seem unlikely. The interior lock lever and the external door key share wiring to the ECU. Both would not work if the ECU was faulty. The problem must be in the door.

23. Rosso_United_1999

Mar 31, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    OK thanks. Yeah my windows seem healthy enough. They drop on open and behave as they should. Quite bizarre how the lights just stay on

As for my door locks, some previous work was done to "find a rattle" inside the door so perhaps something was upset. In all honesty, I'm less arsed about the door locks than the battery draining lights. However I had seen previous posts about these lights and the door locks being possibly related? I wasn't quite sure how that might be

24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The video shows you how to remove the interior door handle. The lock microswitch is attached to the interior door handle. There are two microswitches on the handle. Make sure you indentify the right one.

Another good hint that the problem is in the door :D

Not sure. Fast clicking indicators may simply be a sign that one of your turn light bulbs has blown. Is it for both left/right turns? If so, it may simply be a hazard/turn module issue.
    The module is located under the dash on the passenger side.