Questions: On installation of period correct stereo in a 1979 308GTB: | FerrariChat

Questions: On installation of period correct stereo in a 1979 308GTB:

Discussion in '308/328' started by christopher, Jul 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    #1 christopher, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey Guys,

I could use your expertise here for any that have sourced a period correct Stereo / Cassette Player for their 308:

I’m a stereo installation newbie!

Well I finally pulled the trigger and bought a couple of these Blaupunkt (Models: CR2000 & CR2001) recently and are in the midst of the installation process.

I’m pretty sure that either one of these where taken out (leaning toward the CR2001-for correctness), prior to my purchasing the car.

The thing is that the dash cut-out is extremely tight almost as if I’d be required to cut out a bit more to accommodate the unit…Don’t really want to do that, any ideas?

As far as the mounting equipment; all I can really see is this clip on the sides on the unit. Is this enough to retain the unit within the dash, or will I be required to have something else?

As far as the wiring; here is what I have: 2-sets of single yellow&green coded wires. Should I join together both black and white wires into the yellow&green coded wires for contact?

Any other advice you could offer would be very useful! Additional tools required, etc…?

Thank you very much,

Chris.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rkljr

rkljr Formula Junior

May 16, 2011
    South of Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I have a '79 GTS and removed a CR2001 (at least that is what I remember, anyway it is the radio that came with it). There were no clips on the side as you show in the picture.

The typical way these units mount is by removing the face plate but leaving the mounting plate on the unit. You then slide it in from behind, slide the faceplate on and put the two nuts one on each control (left and right) to secure it. Sometimes there is a bracket on the back to support the rear of the unit and I cannot remember if my 308 had one or not.

In looking at your opening, it looks like it was cutout for a DIN (newer) style unit. Again, if I recollect correctly on the 308 there should be a rectangular middle hole and then to slots on the left and right for the radio controls. This problem can be resolved by the purchase of any one of various backing plates on the market.

In working on my car, I removed the AC vent and hoses to provide access. This is pretty simple and makes things way easier.

If you have any questions or need pictures of a part, I will be happy to pull my old unit and document whatever you need.

3. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Might anyone know how the stereo hole may have looked form the factory?

I belive that mine has been cut on...sadley....

Thank you very much! Chris.