Questions on the 612 | FerrariChat

Questions on the 612

Discussion in '612/599' started by Piper, Jul 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    All, I'm curious how the 612 fares in inclement weather. With proper tires, is it safe to drive in heavy rain or very occasionally slushy or snowy conditions?

2. CMD140.6

CMD140.6 Karting

Jul 29, 2011
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Bob - back when I was initially looking at 612s, I spoke with one well-known forum member who owned one and lives in the Boston area - apparently he put snow tires on his and used it throughout the Boston winters and didn't have any issues. I am sure you wouldn't want to take it out in a blizzard but sounded like you could get by in moderately snowy conditions and you should be OK in rainy conditions with normal tires if you drove with some caution.

Chris

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    There is a member here who has driven his 612 in some pretty inclement conditions, although he now has an FF, for whatever that's worth.

With stock tires, it's okay-- certainly not a problem in heavy rain. I haven't been in serious snow with it, but I would guess it would be similar to any car with wide summer tires in that condition. It does have very good traction control.

With winter tires, I suspect it would do very well.

4. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks, guys. Can't stop looking at them. I have to wait just a bit and watch business, but I'll be back in a Ferrari before too long, I'm sure. What amazes me right now is that '05 612's are in the same $$$ ballpark as '05 Modenas. Seems quite the bargain to me, honestly. Would love to have a later model, but entry level is entry level. We'll see. Would be middle of next year. I just thought I'd ask. With the proper tires, I'd figured they'd probably do okay. I feel good about having that big 12cyl in front of me, too.

5. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The 06 motor is different than 05, correct?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

6. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The 612 really deserves a sticky FAQ.

7. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    IIRC, the change of the MY was software, particularly with th F1.

8. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Ferrari doesn't do "model years" in the same way that US manufacturers do. They introduce a model, build in improvements as they go along, and eventually do a major revision to that model. What "year" it is means nothing-- the serial number is more important.

In the case of the 612, they introduced it in 2005, made various running changes as they went along, and did the major revision in 2008 (calling the car the "OTO" although I don't know if you actually see that anywhere).

They introduced a few of the OTO changes in 2007, and the Sessanta actually is pretty similar to an OTO.

9. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks. I'd heard somewhere that early 612's only produced in '05 had the 575 motor where all subsequent 612's had something different. Going to C&C in a few minutes. Will ask Toggie. I'd heard OTO and searched Cars for that term with zero results, so yes, not apparently widely used. Wonder why. It doesn't have as sexy a ring to it as HGTE perhaps. Fwash has a nice '08 in stock currently, heavily optioned. Would like to go see it but don't want to waste my time or theirs. Not ready yet.

10. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    There's an '05 TDF at Foreign Cars Italia for a screaming deal. Call Hank 336-516-3855.
    I had an '05 612 back in the day. Rosso Rubino. I miss that car. Just beautiful. It would be great cruising the Blue Ridge Parkway!

11. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Wasn't it you 612 I almost bought last year with 50k miles? Second owner had replaced the fenders to put real badges on it. My favorite color, hands down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

12. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    All 612s have a derivation of the 575 motor.

"HGTE" is an option package-- the 612 had "HGTC" or "HGTE" or "HGT" packages depending on the specific package and the timeframe.

HGTC-- handling, transmission software, exhaust, CC brakes
    HGTE-- same as HGTC except without CC brakes (much cheaper)
    HGT-- same as HGTC, except CC brakes were now standard on all 612s, so that wasn't technically part of the option package.

The big differences with the OTO are the glass roof and the transmission from the 599.

The other big difference was that Ferrari stopped building 612s on spec with the OTO-- they all had to be ordered by a customer. I'd guess this resulted in lower production numbers, but I've never seen any facts to back that up.

13. London John

London John Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London & Melbourne
    Full Name:
    John
    I live in London and drive mine come rain/hail/snow to the country house........and we get our fair share of inclement weather. It's drives very well, particularly in the wet. Snow's a bit more of a handful, exactly as you would expect.

Punchline is don't let concerns about its handling in the weather concern you.

14. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks, John. Good to know. We'll see next year.

15. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    OTO stands for one to one I believe. I think it is because all of the later cars were custom ordered.

16. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    My OTO (with the HGT2 package) was a spec ordered by dealer. It was not specced out by the end customer. The first buyer of the car was shown the car once it arrived in Arizona. No idea about production numbers.

17. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I wonder about this. 612s were generally not hot sellers, and dealers had some of the early ones forced down their throats (you want more 430s? Then you take some 612s). So, I'm a bit surprised that a dealer would spec a 612 without a customer, but I suppose they could... especially if they had a customer in mind.

They certainly could have spec'd it with the dealership owner as the "customer" or something like that.

There were plenty of 612s which were ordered by customers and then the customers backed out before delivery, especially in 2008.

18. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I wonder if they are doing same thing with FFs? I see a lot of them that seem to be dealer owned.

19. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The FF has a demonstrator program. I believe each dealer got a demo FF, which they were required to keep for some period of time. As far as I know, the 612 did not have a program like this.

20. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Nah, wasn't mine. I got out of mine in 2008. It had about 7k miles on it then.

21. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Searched back. The one I almost bought belonged to Eric.

22. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    am looking at a 2008 with 4k miles. hgt2 package, 20" wheels, glass roof.
    so how do you guys like the car? anybody drive it as a daily? tell us more pls

23. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Well, mine is a 2008. Had 4,000 miles, HGT2, 20" wheels, and a glass roof. The glass roof makes it an OTO and the car you are looking at should also have CC rotors and GPS. Of course I live in AZ - where it never rains - but I love it!

24. F12Berlinetta

F12Berlinetta Karting

Apr 7, 2012
    I think you've hit the nail on the head concerning the FF. A truly remarkable car to drive, but the dealers are in business to make a profit, and the FF, despite its amazing performance, has got to be a hard sell given its practical design. Cars sitting in a showroom for long periods of time sort of develop a reputation, like the house on the block that can't sell, and the dealers must be a in rough spot. Honestly, I loved driving the FF so much that if Ferrari would come to their senses and drop the price of a well appointed FF to somewhere south of $300K, I'd buy one tomorrow.

Anthony James likes this.
  25. F12Berlinetta

F12Berlinetta Karting

Apr 7, 2012
    Best and most exciting car I've ever owned, bar none. I discovered that I can fit booster seats in the rear by turning the ones I have around backward. (Thank you, California, for changing the child car seat law this year and expanding the burden on parents). My two young boys absolutely love to drive the Ferrari with dad. The glass roof is phenomenal and its shade controllable. The V12 is a monster -- not as smooth and crisp as the FF, but it has its own character. It is fast and sophisticated, not in the two-seat Ferrari sense, but in a true GT sense. I try to drive it as a daily, but I travel so much that such a joy is impossible. Good luck finding yours Ross.