Quiz | FerrariChat

Quiz

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by andymont, Dec 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    #1 andymont, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Does somebody knows why, such two different cars (Maserati and Bizzarrini) were transported together on this OM light truck registered MO36453, at Le Mans ?

I ignore the answer...

Ciao

Andrea
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Well the photo appears to be taken in 1964 during practice sessions.

3. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    Yes because the tipo 151 is still unpainted.

Ciao

Andrea

4. Michele

Michele Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    The Hague, Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel Mulder
    The Maserati was not an official factory entry but a private car. So I guess the owner(s) of the Bizzarini and the Maserati decided to have both cars transported from Italy to Le Mans in combination to save money??

5. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    The Bizzarrini Iso A3C was entered by Auguste Veuillet and the Maserati by Maserati France.
    In the mean time the truck came from Modena. So..?

Ciao

Andrea

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes but in April 1964, the date of this photo taken in the Le Mans paddock, the Tipo 151 was inaugurating this body configuration, ready at the last minute as usual (I did extensive 151 research in the 1990's for a comprehensive article...in fact exactly 20 years ago time flies) and arrived straight from the factory in Modena whilst the Bizza even though French owned was likely -just assuming- also brand new hence arriving from Livorno which is not much of a detour from Modena before heading north (in summer I often stop for a swim at the beach in Levanto nearby as a stopover between Modena and Burgundy when returning to France). There is nothing extraordinary about two privateer entries of different makes being transported together, happens all the time.

That rear window configuration was allowed on track for these April test days but the ACO told them to enlarge it for the race 2 months later which they did having no choice.

Best regards,

Marc

7. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    #7 lgs, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    Cost savings: Baricchi Traslochi from Modena (dal 1929) brought the two 'private' entries on one transporter to Le Mans, after the cars were prepared in Modena and Livorno for the track ...

8. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    I agree on a cost savings fact.
    Even my first tought was about Baricchi, because the truck seems the same of the famous photo on the road to LM '62 with the two Ferrari cars of the Serenissima on it .

A possible answer is that the A3C on the truck is an Iso Grifo (not yet a Bizzarrini) and that car probably came directly from the Drogo workshop in Modena, the same workshop that made the Maserati 151/3.

Ciao

Andrea

9. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    Absolutly, Baricchi Traslochi provided with OM Leoncinos - not only for the Scuderia Serenissima - race car transports (traslochi baricchi traslochi fai da te a modena) all over Europe ... and preparation at Drogo of the A3C and the 151/3 at the same time for the Le Mans Preliminaries sounds plausible indeed.

10. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    Yes thanks, I know very well who was Baricchi and what they did at those times .

Ciao

Andrea

11. SilverThunder

SilverThunder Rookie

Sep 21, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Maurice
    Can anyone pinpoint the date, or month when that picture was taken?

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    See post #2: April 1964.

13. SilverThunder

SilverThunder Rookie

Sep 21, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Maurice
    Thank you much for that. Would anyone know
    Marc, are you referring to the Tipo 151 needing a rear glass enlargement or the A3/C? If it's the A3/C, can you guide me to the rules that dictated this? Thanks!

14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    The 151.

Finding the written rules today would be difficult but it is certain that the scrutineers at the pesage "weigh in" which is the name for pre race inspection at LM demanded a larger rear opening for driver visibility. The team was notified in April not to show up again with the letterbox rear window in June.

15. SilverThunder

SilverThunder Rookie

Sep 21, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Maurice
    Got it. I am restoring an early A3/C, actually the first one Piero Drogo changed the flar rear screen to the (Ferrari Superamerica) bent rear screen. I was hoping maybe a connection to LM rules made this happen - other than Giotto's own desire to do so.