QV DD GLA12945 Euro Body conversion | Page 2 | FerrariChat

QV DD GLA12945 Euro Body conversion

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by ijvpet, Dec 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    If anyone you know needs a euro front bumper I have a new one.

2. ijvpet

ijvpet Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2002
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    John P
  3. ijvpet

ijvpet Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2002
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    John P
    SingleSeat likes this.
  4. ijvpet

ijvpet Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2002
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    John P
    What's been nice is there is virtually no rust on this car.
    Its going to make for an easier time to get the body right and make this modification finished to the original metal.

5. ijvpet

ijvpet Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2002
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    John P
    joe sackey likes this.
  6. ijvpet

ijvpet Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2002
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    John P
  7. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    You sir are well on your way, Bravo! Great stuff to see an owner wrench on his own wheels.

8. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Yup, did this 11 years ago, curious to see your bracket /fastening fabrication.fun work.

9. ijvpet

ijvpet Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2002
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    John P
    Whoops. Sorry guys forgot to mention the body work at this stage is through a local restoration company called Mulsanne Motorcar here in Alberta.

http://www.mulsanne-motorcar.com/

They have done a couple of Countach restorations and just finished a complete nut/ bolt/ interior/ complete engine rebuild with dyno testing restoration on an Edmonton Downdraft.

I would love to do this myself but I need to make money to pay for this cool stuff. Hahaha.
    What I will be a part of is utilizing as much correct information as possible,
    Especially from this forum, to make the conversion as correct as possible.

I will show as much detail as possible on the work done. Sorry for the miscommunication on this important detail.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Bravo John, it's great to see an effort to do it right, and I love the fact that you took the trouble to source the correct European exhaust valance!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ijvpet likes this.
  11. ijvpet

ijvpet Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2002
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    John P
    After a significant amount of fiddling and fitting, we have a nice fit to the main front end. The idea was to get as close to the boot lid, and have it open easily without touching. I think they did a great job...

12. ijvpet

ijvpet Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2002
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    John P
  13. ijvpet

ijvpet Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2002
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    John P
    The flares are untouched/unmodified and should be the same flare dimension regardless of 5000QV iteration. Fitting should be minimal.

The floor that attaches to the original spoiler protrudes farther out due to the longer US spec bumper. Once the euro bumper was fitted, the floor was cut back and the air intakes positioned correctly to the new spoiler... I'll bet a couple inches were cut back to fit to the new spoiler. Better to cut than add material I say hahaha...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. ijvpet

ijvpet Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2002
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    John P
  15. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Great work , no trunk floor cutting needed on my conversion,i did manufacture simple brackets, but beeing the rear end of the spoiler meets the wheelarch,is a fixed point, wich determines the final posision of the euro bumper, the trunk floors must have been slightly different from get go, looking at Pictures of Joes car, and mine,our bumpers seems to protrude a tiny bit more from the very front end of the trunk lid.

16. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
  17. ijvpet

ijvpet Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2002
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    John P
  18. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Thanks,Fun cars to work on,very hand/home made.in a good way.

19. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Good work.

It's essential you move the brake vents outwards to match the brake apertures of the Eu bumper-spoiler.

All the cars originally fitted with Tipo USA bumpers require this modification, because the vents put in place by the factory for those cars are to match a pair of centralized apertures situated within the fog-lights, whereas the Eu unit requires them to be spaced significantly outwards.

If this modification is not done, then the Eu bumper-spoiler unit essentially covers up the opening to the vents and as a result ducting to the brakes is compromised.

A small but important adjustment.

Ellagirl and ijvpet like this.
  20. ijvpet

ijvpet Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2002
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    John P
    I've been looking for dimensions for the front indicator lights. We are filling in all the holes with metal so we start with a clean slate to mark/drill the location.
    I cant seem to find it.
    Any of you gentlemen have a drawing or a picture with dimensions you can post?
    Maybe a couple of reference points that are a constant with most Countach's IE: from the front wheel center and another point perhaps?
    Also my car an pre-August 1986 car. Should the location be more inline with the 5000s?

Any help would be appreciated.

21. ijvpet

ijvpet Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2002
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    John P
  22. DaniT

DaniT Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2015
    Czech Republic, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Daniel T.

John, your new exhaust shroud looks on your picture like a very short version. Are the more variants known on the QV?

23. DaniT

DaniT Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2015
    Czech Republic, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Daniel T.

And there is an other important detail: Originally there is also a kind of spoiler to force the ram air trough the airco condenser.

24. ijvpet

ijvpet Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2002
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    John P
    Great info on the trunk floor.

I have a weird exhaust shroud. Its is a factory solid plate shroud with no grill. It has a rectangular opening to make room for the bumperette supports.
    You can see a custom stainless muffler that I will change to the Ansa Sport Exhaust after I finish the body.