QV Fuel Hose Replacement | FerrariChat

QV Fuel Hose Replacement

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by westyguy, Feb 7, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. westyguy

westyguy Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Huntsville, TX
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm about to undertake the fuel hose replacement on my '84 Cabriolet. Though I've had it a little over a year, I'm still trying to learn about it. How do you access the fuel tanks to change those hoses? I'll be doing this at a friend's shop with access to a lift, but I don't see anything but the belly pan, which at first glance seems to be a non-removeable part. What am I missing? On a lift, is it reasonable to think this can be done in a weekend?
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. EMJAY

EMJAY Karting

Nov 20, 2012
    hey steve i had mine done when i did the major...i purchased them from gt parts in az,,,,pretty cheap...go to the 348 thread pm "plugzit" ask him...he did my major very recently and changed those out....hes very savvy w/ these cars..

micheal j.

3. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #3 soucorp, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Replacing the fuel lines should be straight forward but dangerous as the fumes can easily catch fire. Make sure you drain all the fuel out of the tank first. Doable depending on how much hose you plan on replacing. You will need to take off the right side tank I believe to get to the hose at the top but the rest should be fine in place. If you do decide to do this, please post pics.

Thanks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Doing this soon on my QV. I've had the pan off before to route a new accelerator cable, the crossover was directly visible at the bottom of the two tanks, and access to other parts looked pretty good. My pan is just a sheet of aluminum held on by a lot of sheet metal screws. Mike's pictures illustrate it very clearly.

I think you could do this in a few hours on a lift if you were really taking your time about it.

I have some further thoughts FWIW:

There are discussions on F-chat about this already, particularly as it relates to 3x8. I think there's one thread that's been recently active over there on this subject. I believe the author said jacking the back of the vehicle up and removing both rear wheel well liners as well as the air filter and associated plumbing was sufficient to get at everything... the mondi should be similar.

I think the bigger issue is getting hoses that are the proper metric sizes, or finding inch equivalents that are close enough to work reliably. Also, there are hose clamps that are better than what you find in your local hardware store. For large diameter connections, T-bolt clamps are good because they don't pinch or abrade the hose jacket with the worm gear. (I'm not sure these are available in small enough sizes for our application though.) Also, marine dealers often have high quality stainless clamps for the smaller stuff.

There are many discussions on F-chat regarding hoses that are alcohol resistant. I'll be buying the Scuderia Rampante kit soon, and using alcohol resistant fuel line for all of the vapour hoses that are not part of the kit.

I think a look at the parts diagrams should be sufficient to see what you need to do. The fuel pump, accumulator and many of the hoses are visible and accessible without removing the pan. For the filler hose do a search, there are discussions regarding that as well, and it's a little involved.

I'll post when I do mine but it won't be for a few months.

5. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    #5 mulo rampante, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
    Just an update as I promised. I've replaced many of the hoses.

The Scuderia Rampante kit provides for the two flexible sections of the fill pipe, the crossover hose between the tanks, and the hose leading from the L.H. tank to the fuel pump inlet. All are easily done: The fill hoses are accessible via the left wheel well after removing the fender liner, though it's an inconvenient reach. The crossover is easily accessed after removing the panel under the fuel tanks, and the fuel pump hose is dead simple.

I replaced all of the lines running to the liquid/vapour separator and its associated charcoal filter (rectangular plastic box). This is all on the right side of the car, near the strut tower. The filter is best removed and the short sections of hose associated with it as well as the check valve and rollover valve may be replaced outside of the car and then reinstalled. I found 5/16" hose in a marine specification (class A1) to work well in this application. It fits snugly and clamps well, in spite of it not being metric. There is a smaller dia. vacuum hose running from the filter to the intake. The return line from the fuel distributor has a short hose section near the tank, also 5/16.

There are four fittings on top of the right side tank. 5/16" hose mates well with these. Note that small hose clamps are a help there, as the spacing between the fittings is tight, especially if you chose to use the larger O.D. marine grade hose. (same goes for the separator).

I haven't replaced the lines going to the charcoal canister and vent lines on the left side yet, but it looks like it's reasonably accessible. Should have this done in the next couple of days.

The steel braided hoses running to the fuel distributor, as well as the steel braided hoses connecting the fuel pump, accumulator and filter are probably aging, with unknown internal degradation. I suspect fabricating new assemblies with line appropriately rated for fuel containing alcohol is the way to go there. I will post when I've fabricated some new assemblies for these.

I'm also looking into the various hoses associated with crankcase ventilation. It appears that hose used in the aircraft industry might be suitable here, and I've ordered some. Hose meeting MIL-DTL-6000D (specs at assist.daps.dla.mil ... google search will show a pdf there) seems like a good choice as it is resistant to most automotive fluids and has appropriate performance with hot oil and oil mist at high temperature (test spec calls for 200 hours at around 125C and 50 PSI, and a 50 hour test at nearly 150C.) I bought my hose from Aircraft Spruce.

Sorry for the stream-of-consciousness typing here. Little time to edit.

6. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    If anyone has a picture of the charcoal filter and the hose connections to and from it, I am trying to change all fuel hoses on an 85 QV Mondial Euro and I've found a Purolator 00 701 canister with two fittings for hoses but neither were connected to anything. Thanks for any help on this

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #7 Steve Magnusson, Mar 2, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
    A Euro Mondial QV was not built with a fuel evaporation control system (so no charcoal filter) -- yours was added for US legal reasons (and may have never been really hooked up correctly ;)). There's more to the system than just the charcoal filter (although some charcoal filters may have some of the valving built into them) -- here's a diagram from the US version Mondial QV OM that might give you some clues:

They didn't draw this in the most clear way, but the SPC figure for the fuel system on a euro Mondial QV:

https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/diagram/ferrari/mondial-qv-coupe-cabriolet/009-fuel-pump-and-pipes-(quattrovalvole)

shows tube 23 connected to the small tube fitting on the side of filler pipe (item 10), and tube 23 eventually connects to tube 16 which extends past the bottom of the chassis rail and is just left open to the atmosphere (for air to move in and out of the tank). You might have a look for the fitting on the filler pipe (item 10) to see if it's been blocked off, or has a hose going somewhere, or has been put back to the euro configuration, etc.. Note that on the US system (or a system that would be US legal), air only moves in and out of the fuel system thru the charcoal filter (it's not shown but there's a vent on the bottom of the US charcoal filter).

Another reference for you would be the information in the Mondial8/QV WSM 281/83 starting on page N15 which describes the 1983 US Mondial QV fuel evaporation control system (and I think 1984-85 US is the same system). Give a shout if you don't have a copy of the Mondial8/QV WSM 281/83, and I'll post a link.

PS If you can do a truly working correctly quasi-US system = great, but would be better to restore the Euro set-up than have something iffy IMO.

8. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #8 85QVEuro, Mar 2, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
    Steve - thank you for addressing another one of my questions, your responses are invaluable...

I have the "Mondial QV shop Manual to 1985" and will look further - but to your point, I have the small hose at the filler neck and I believe it connects to some type of fitting (not just a hose coupler but a Ferrari mystery fitting) which connects to another hose and then it ends up in the passenger rear wheelwell and I don't believe it was connected to anything.

Given the euro models didn't include the carbon cannister, can I just "delete" all of that hosing and plug the nipple on the filler neck where it was attached?

If I gave you a nickel for every good (and fast) answer you've provided, you would be wealthy quick - instead, if you are ever in NYC, ping me as I'd be happy to take you to dinner, drinks, etc. - Truly appreciate your knowledge and help

9. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    studying the euro Mondial QV pic/link that you sent, that is how my lines and tank were set up and the ferrari mystery fitting that I mention in the post above is item 97, the tank ventilation valve.

Seems straightforward enough to restore things back to this set up and I'll just toss the purolator 00 701 canister that I found because as you state, it appears that someone just installed it hap hazardly when they were federalizing the vehicle - Good approach? Thanks

10. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    while we are on the fuel system, (85 Mondial Euro)...I am removing the fuel sending unit. The locking ring came off easily but the piece below that seems to be bonded to the rubber gasket which seems to be bonded to the tank. I am soaking with PB blaster and I've tried to hit the metal piece that I now have access to, which I believe is this piece:

I hit it with punch so I can try to break the seal with the rubber gasket but it doesn't want to move - Is there something I am missing? Thanks

11. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, going to the stock euro set-up is fine. You have to provide some way for air to enter and exit the fuel tank (so don't block that fitting on the filler neck).

No comment on your fuel gauge sender removal trouble -- have no experience with that.

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Nail polish remover will dissolve some rubbers, might be worth a try

13. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    thanks Mike - Just confirming, there is no attaching mechanism other than the locking ring, correct?