R/C RC Helicopter good first choice? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

R/C RC Helicopter good first choice?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by LetsJet, Mar 12, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
  2. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Thanks

Never flown any R/C before.

Cool Helo... I like it

3. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I think it has been upgraded to the Horse Fly. Do a search for that.

Teak360, you give the thumbs up - gd... much closer to ordering it. I'm probably going to order the stuff tomorrow.

4. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    'House Fly' is Megatech

5. guirodri

guirodri Karting

Apr 26, 2005
    Rio - Brazil
    Full Name:
    G Rodrigues
    Do you guys like those Spectrum radios? I'm an old school, only have Futaba and JR radios. I have used spectrum for eletric only, don't trust it to big models yet (gas airplanes).
    This phoenix-sim looks really nice!

6. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I would think Spectrum radios have a big advantage over the "old school" radios in that they have dual receivers,far less chance of any interference, and longer range. Same technology change going from "old school" cordless phones to the new spread spectrum. Also, no real issues of frequency duplication if you go to a club event with other R/C fliers. ( I think I'm learning already)

7. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    And glitches can be costly. I heard the guy with the chopped up face in the post above supposedly had a "glitch" of just a brief moment, in which time the chopper made a beeline for his face. YOW!

8. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    The Spektrum module and receiver are directly compatible with the JR 2.4 Gh transmitters; my 9303 is 2.4 and I am converting my 8103 to 2.4 using the spektrum module. For my regular planes I'm less concerned, but for my big expensive planes, they are all going with 2.4 receivers.

9. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Most glitches are tied directly to crappy crystals that the radio manufacturers include with their radios. I have tested them all. Most competitors that I have tested have stability in the 25-50ppm range. My crystals (www.performancedevices.com) runs all of our crystals around +/-2ppm! This means that the actual crystal is about as close to the actual frequency that you can get (Sure, we can make a .5ppm crystal, but it would be about $100!). When the tolerance is 'loose', the frequency can 'drift' into other frequecies (or channels), thus causing 'glitches'. Customers that use my crystals always say their glitches simply go away! Also, when you have a crash, ALWAYS replace the crystal. They are delicate devices that could test well on the ground, but with heavy vibration in the air, small fractures in the crystal can cause lots of problems! I replace free of charge any driver or fliers crystals that have been in a severe impact.

Save your money and buy a good crystal radio!

10. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    Geez, too bad the rotor blades didn't get some of that nosehair.

11. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    After doing a fair amount of research on serveral boards and talking to several manufacturers, stores, and people, I decided that this setup was the best start for me and ordered them both today.

1. R/C Simulator does not include radio - Got better reviews than realflight.

http://www.phoenix-sim.com/welcome.htm

2. DX7 7Ch DSM2 Heli System MD2 w/AR7000 Rx & 4-DS821 Servos - This is a mode 2 (Important) Heli radio that is probably a bit more than I need. But, it is so well regarded that I shouldn't lose much if I decide to upgrade one day.

http://www.advantagehobby.com/product.php?productid=51142&cat=975&page=1[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys for all your help... esp. Peter - (I hope those RCUniverse points help you)

& I'll keep you posted on my opinions and progress

12. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    In hindsight, I think I would have gone for a larger .60 size helo to start with rather than the .32 Hawk. Have you figured out what your first helicopter will be? Also, one of the best investments you can make is a good gyro. make sure you do your homework there.
    Angelo

13. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    No idea on the helo yet. I'll probably practice with this sim a few months and depending on my skills I will then start asking for recommendations on that front. Maybe new models will be out. I think I just want an electric motor, ave. sized, std. blade configuration model that has cheap parts. Why would you go for a larger helo to start? Seems like more money wasted when accidents happen.......What is the best gyro?

14. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #39 teak360, Mar 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good luck, and be sure to wear one of these when you first start flying, just to protect your face!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    A lot of people find that starting with a larger basic helicopter is easier since they tend to be more stable and less prone to big results from minor control inputs. RC aircraft trainers are usually larger high wing aircraft since the smaller ones have such a short moment between the wing and the empennage that they can change direction very quickly and are not much of a trainer at all.

Most people seem to use either the Futaba 240 or 401 gyros, I have a 240 that works with my JR 622 FM radio

16. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That's a very good point to consider. The smaller ones can be a handful, especially when you are a novice and don't have them set up quite right. Which brings up another thing for beginners to pay attention
    to....the setup and balancing of the helicopter. It can make a bigger difference than you would think at first.

17. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I've heard about that.......... I'll get some expert help to make sure the setup is correct - Thanks guys

The sim and radio are scheduled in on Friday.

18. Gerry328

Gerry328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2006
    Home
    Full Name:
    Gerry
    I just bought a Blade CX2. Tons of fun, and quite challenging. It seems to be a good first choice. At the same time I bought an extra battery, extra blades, extra landing skids, and the training gear.

19. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    The items arrived today:

1. Phoenix SW - Arrived in a crumpled box (Thank you Fed Ex)that is a typical nice looking retail packaging. It comes with CD that autoloads and a USB to transmitter cable. The software was easy to install and requires setup before use. It also was a previous version and needed to be patched with the latest upgrade on their website. The patch was an easy install as well. I was unable to go any further because I'm waiting for the battery to charge in the radio.

2. DX7 - Arrived UPS with gd outside box protecting the packaging. It suggests charging the battery 24-36 hours the first time of use. I called the company and asked if you could use the radio while charging and was told a resounding NO - It could damage the circuitry if the voltage spikes. I honestly don't know how sensitive the radio is but it seems like a bit of paranoia.

Will try and get some use this weekend

20. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Eric,
    I have the chopper you are considering. It's TONS of fun. Be sure to buy many extra blades ;)

21. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Alright guys I had a chance to try this setup out today.

The DX7 was fully charged and I plugged in the included USB cable to the computer. It recognized it immediately......... Then I plugged the cable into the DX7 and the radio came to life w/o turning it on. I started the program and went through the calibration procedure. That took about a minute to rotate the sticks on the radio.

When the software started it selected the Pitts Special and I tried that without reading any manual for the DX7 or SW. I got it up and flying but couldn't land it.

I then selected a Helo and it was a huge learning curve. I crashed about 50x before getting any real air time and control. I then started getting the hang of it but the biggest problem is seeing the helo when it goes away from you. It's hard to see what direction it is in and the blade tilt. I played with a few different helos, mini-titan, trex600 sport, blade CX2, and even a dauphin. The blade CX2 was super easy after the workout from the others. I can see that it's fun, but you wont learn much controlling it.

After getting my ego crushed for about and hour of helo time I went back to the Pitts Special and was able to pick it up pretty quick. I was landing it 80 /20 and had full control in the air.

I don't know how well this program simulates real flight. It would be real helpful to see if it's accurate and if I had the setup correct.

One thing is for sure - This will certainly help you if you plan on getting into real R/C models.

22. cantdecide

cantdecide Karting

Jun 28, 2004
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Matt Hnderson
    I have Real Flight 3.5 with all the add ons and the interlink controller, a DX7, an Align 450XL CDE (helicopter), and multiple parts/pieces that I will let someone have for a BIG discount over retail. I am getting out of the hobby, spending more time on my bike now that it is getting warm. Pretty neat perpetual physics lesson learning to fly though.

23. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott

What's the matter, don't have a spare 50 hours a week to mess around with the r/c stuff??
    Seriously for you guys wanting to get in, that is a good equipment package if the price is right.

24. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    About a week to late for me.........

Update:

I've been doing a little training for the past four days. My controller skills have gone up exponentially. I can fly most every aircraft available at a relatively good success rate. I will continue to practice until I feel I have mastered the controller. I think that is the real advantage to sim. training..... the ability to train to make reactions correctly. There are situations that you lose the "situational awareness" and have to react quickly to save an aircraft. Your correct reaction can save you a great deal of money and heartache. The sim allows these reactions to become second nature and well worth the investment of time and money. Initially my primary concern was finding a sim that provided the most accurate aircraft response. Now I realize that although there will be differences flying a real RC (wind, balance, sunlight, etc.) that it is less important than what I'm gaining in controller training.

25. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Luke I must have missed your post....... I just saw it. I didn't know you flew these things. If you read through the thread you will see I've moved on from my original post.