R.I.P. s/n 5409 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

R.I.P. s/n 5409

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by jsa330, Jul 15, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

scott, don't sweat it. it is clear to most of us that the decision you made to part w/ your car was made w/ heavy heart! these are emotional decisions to buy these cars for many of us... and ownership makes us more complete in a sense (we are all car guys!).

i would imagine scott feels a big hole in his heart having made the tough decision to let his 330 go...instead of chiding him, let's root him on as he looks for a car to fill the void!!

good luck to you scott and i personally will look forward to your new 365 gt 2+2 thread!!!

very best,

pcb

2. Jay_GTB

Jay_GTB Karting
    BANNED

Oct 5, 2005
    Chicago Area
    Full Name:
    Jay Beale
    I noticed every time the discussion surrounds making of replicas these words get invoked: private-property, free will, etc. These are characteristically the pseudo enthusiast: an enthusiast that is really more interested in other attributes Ferrari brings him; i.e., recognition and distinction. So the question becomes who really is the contradiction you referred to.

As for stepping forward and saving your car, a minority cannot go around and set right others’ misgivings. Everyone should do their part. Kind of like keeping our Planet clean.

3. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I cannot agree with you, to say that everyone that owns or builds a replica is less of an enthusiast than say someone who restores say a 250 GTE is pushing it, did it ever occur to you that people build replicas becuase they will never be able to afford the real thing but would love to have that same shape, that same sort of experience.

Personally I feel you are being totally unfair, it was his decision to let the car and we as members of this forum need to respect that, lets be honest economically the car was beyond repair, are you saying that to be an enthusiast one should over- capitalize just so that one more car remains, ever heard the story of using the weak one to make the strong ones better?

4. Jay_GTB

Jay_GTB Karting
    BANNED

Oct 5, 2005
    Chicago Area
    Full Name:
    Jay Beale
    Yes. There are two types of replica owners. (1) those who have real GTO's and want a lesser cost test bed, and (2) the rest: the wanna be's. The first category is no less guilty than the second.

There is just as much sensation and enjoyment in driving a well kept 250GTE. If one desires a make-believe so he can be what he is not, then there is something wrong. How are you different from the Joe that goes around flashing a fake watch, or goes into dept to vacation in a "Robin Leach" spot?

5. ferraripete

ok jay...we get it. thanks for weighing in.

if you want to add continued value to this forum...please post pics of your 275 and your ownership experience!

that would be of interest to all of we f-car lovers.

best,

pcb

6. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Make beleive, must say I havent heard that saying for ages. Lets look at this another way, there is 1 car, its worth say $45 000 in good condion but it needs $85 000 work to get it to that standard, would you spend that even if it meant borrowing and paying it off just to save a car that probably shouldnt have been saved and will forever have "title" problems, excuse me please as I am not famillar with the USA system of scrapping cars.

BTW I too would like to see some 275 GTB pictures.

7. Jay_GTB

Jay_GTB Karting
    BANNED

Oct 5, 2005
    Chicago Area
    Full Name:
    Jay Beale
    and the relevance is???

8. Jay_GTB

Jay_GTB Karting
    BANNED

Oct 5, 2005
    Chicago Area
    Full Name:
    Jay Beale
    Why must you insist on equating the subject to today's dollars? How many objects of historical significance we have forfeited based on that argument? The automobile is one of the single most revolutionary objects created by the modern man and Ferrari is at the pinnacle of that creation. That in itself earns it its value as a significant industrial art form. A crapped out 250GTE has historical value and the person owning one should realize it. It should be left in its crapped out form forever, or at least until someone can justify its restoration. A made-up car by some Bob in Southern California or some Guido in Modena means nothing.

I lied. I do not have a 275GTB.

9. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    You do have a point albeit a flimsy one but lets be honest who has money to just leave sitting around because one is potentially saving a car that might or might not ever be classed as a pinnicle of anything. Lets also be frank how many cars will ever be considered historically significant?

10. Jay_GTB

Jay_GTB Karting
    BANNED

Oct 5, 2005
    Chicago Area
    Full Name:
    Jay Beale
    You are shortsighted, and furthermore, not a blue blood enthusiast.

11. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Time will tell who is short sighted and who isnt and I will just disregard your last remark, however I think you should carefully examine they way you judge members of this forum.

12. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Wow! such unbridled acrimony, these are just cars, pieces of mostly metal. I think most of us hope to see the car on the road again but does it really matter?

It seems that if it's restored it'll just be another 2+2 with a salvage title, forever scarred by that designation.

If it's parted out it'll be gone forever but others may live because of it. Those remaining will then be more rare.

If it becomes a TR or GTO (and finished well) it would be a considerably more valuable car (though not near what an "original" would bring) and likely would have a long new life in its rebodied form (as long as it stays out of Italy).

Rebodying classics such as Roll Royce, Bentley & Bugatti has been done for as long as cars have been made. The value of the "new" car is dependent on the design and workmanship. Many rebodies sell at auction for considerable sums.

A hand-crafted rebody is not a "kit car".

13. Jay_GTB

Jay_GTB Karting
    BANNED

Oct 5, 2005
    Chicago Area
    Full Name:
    Jay Beale
    This is another short sighted commentary with complete disregard for the subject's historical significance.

I would like to add that I am not disrespecting anyone, rather I am challenging their stand. This is nothing more than a healthy dispute sanctioned by our constitution. By saying "your are judging the members of this forum" it shows that you are out of ammunition and you're running to hide.

14. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    "historical significance"

Talk is cheap.

15. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Ok please do us a favor and remove the fact you own a 275 GTB from your profile. If I were you I would re-read some of your posts because there is challenging people and there is rubbishing what they have decided to do.

I am certainly not out of ammunition by any stretch of imagination but I do question this "historical significance" you keep going on, please qualify what makes a car historically significant and further please explain with particular reference to the 330 GT model why you think it deserves to be classified in the future as a historically significant vehicle.

Honestly this is a good debate in my opinion and I am seeing it as just that: a debate.

16. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Scott - just came across this thread...never knew about the accident and am really glad that you're ok.

I know an auto 456 may be a good option, but all things considered, would you consider a 550? I know your better half wants auto, but I think that you can teach her and she will love driving one of the most beautiful cars ever made. A win/win situation?

Possible?

17. Jay_GTB

Jay_GTB Karting
    BANNED

Oct 5, 2005
    Chicago Area
    Full Name:
    Jay Beale
    Historical significance: the reason why someone would pay $57,000 for a 330 2+2 that is partially wrecked and maybe $5000 for a same vintage Mustang in similar condition. Historical significance is partly what sets these two apart.

18. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I said "Over and Out" a few posts ago; I'm back.

ferraripete: You hit it square on...thanks. Losing my old car did leave a big hole. Yes, I'm looking for another 330 or a 365, and will feel lucky to find a good replacement and make the numbers work.

Jay: I'm a generally trusting type of guy and tend to take people at their word; why am I not surprised that you don't own a GTB after all?

In admitting you lied in your profile, you just flushed your last shred of credibility, no matter WHAT Ferrari you don't own.

I could just go and enter "Enzo" under Ferraris Owned in my profile, and become what you accuse others of being, and actually are yourself: a "psuedo-enthusiast" looking for "recognition and distinction".

IMO, the honest member here that puts down that he drives a Civic but wants a Ferrari is automatically in The Club. Why don't you try being honest?

19. ferraripete

relevance? well to start, this is the vintage forum and your ownership of a vintage car would certainly fit in this forum therefore relevant.

now...if you are not a 275 gtb owner...then you are correct to ask what or where there is relevance!

you may very likely be irrelevant!!!

20. Jay_GTB

Jay_GTB Karting
    BANNED

Oct 5, 2005
    Chicago Area
    Full Name:
    Jay Beale
    I shall respond to topic related discussions.

21. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Joe,

I very much appreciate the good wishes.

Things have moved along. My wife and I looked at a 456A together and it didn't do a thing for either of us. She would rather us have another vintage 12 model than a 456, in spite of all the comfort and safety features.

A 550 is my viable alternative to a vintage 12. I love them, and my wife at least likes the looks and kinship to the vintage models. I have not ruled out this possibility...currently they're in a price range that's somewhat out of reach but not hopeless.

I tried to teach my wife to drive my 5-speed Honda Accord 25+ years ago...all she can drive is an automatic, and has conceded on the manual for a next Ferrari.

22. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Why in the world would you still have a GTB in your profile?

Sorry for the off topic guys...

23. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Awesome! I can see it! :) Good luck on the decision and the search.

24. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Jay,

Just go away.

Art S.

25. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    Without intending to enter into the fray, I am reminded of the cavalier treatment given to some of the most remarkable Ferraris ever made in my view--broken up and stacked near the dustbin. The culprit? Enzo Ferrari, if one did but know it.