R32 vs. Lancer vs. WRX | FerrariChat

R32 vs. Lancer vs. WRX

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by 575Mike, May 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Drove down to my VW dealer today and took an R32 out for a spin. Fun! Exhaust note was really cool. Great seats. Nice stereo. A lot of car for the money.

One of my friends who used to work at my firm is going to let me drive his WRX this week so I'm looking forward to that too. He kept up pretty respectively with my 360 traveling from an on ramp onto the highway, but I eventually pulled away. But it was not a cakewalk. His car is very fast. I was stunned! And humbled! Very impressive.

Anyone here have a Lancer? WRX? R32? How do you like it?

I'm thinking of buying one of the three cars to run about in. The R32 feels really tight like a typical German car should.

Thanks.

2. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I, too, have been thinking about buying one of these cars to run about in. I have driven all of them and the STi is my favourite. The R32 is super nice but the two problems that I have is the wimpy feeling clutch and the power is not there like with the STi and EVO. It has the best fit and finish and interior by far, though.

3. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Great article in Car and Driver about the R32 (I'll find out the exact magazine and issue later)-- said the R32 is the matured mans EVO or STi- 125% of the interior with 75% of the performance-- an all around better car even though the performance isn't up to par with the rest.

4. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I drove an R32 for about an hour the other day. I was really impressed with how easy it was to drive fast. I prefer the R32 over the sti and evo because of its smoothness and reserved looks. I think the R32 all-around driveability is much better than the other too. The Sti and EVO scream boy-racer a little too much for me at this time in my life. You talk about the exhaust note.... When you go from 2nd to 3rd gear the exhaust makes the coolest sound.... People should go test drive it just to hear it. I wish the R32 came w/ Xenon lights and the DSG transmission but I know VW didn't include those options to keep costs down.