"race preparing" a 308 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

"race preparing" a 308

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by spike308, Apr 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Cool William,

It is really hard to get out as much weight as you think. The rollcage is about a wash with all the interior as far as weight. Do you have corner weight numbers for your car? Did you do a fuel cell? Where?

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Fuel cell is up front, the front of the car was hit so we basically replaced it with Trans Am race car style front end. So theres very little up front, no lights, motors, 5 mph bumper, all gone.

MY mechanics weighed the car & she was 2800# We will try to get her down to 2700# this year & the hp closer to 600 :)

The CF seats weigh much less than stock. Leather is really heavy

Even the dash is gone, now replaced w a Motec digital dash & the engine now has a Motec management system

Still have to upgrade the suspension, will be going w Eibach springs & Penske shocks all around. STill lots to do but at least its drivable now so I can have fun w it while we keep building it up

I'm looking forwards to taking on a Diablo race car :)

3. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Race prep a 308, Hmmmm...
    Most tracks will accept a tech sheet stating that your car has been readied for track. This can save you some time at the track, as you will bypass the inspection at the track.

My other thought is, what kind of shape is your suspension in?

4. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    If I was going to get Really serious about a 308 racer I would buy a beater, take the heavy steel body off & replace it w an Fglass or CF 288 GTO body, you could drop a ton of weight there. While I was at it I might install a 360 engine & trans :)

Now That would be an absolute Rocket :)

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

6. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I have given a LOT of thought to this....I did a space frace design for a formula car in college and won an engineering award for it. Then I adapted and improved the designed a few years back for a mid engine P-car speedster project that got cancelled when I saw the light and bought a ferrari. The design could be easily adapted to a 308 type car. The bare frame with the cage can be under 100 lbs and deliver over 10000 lb/degre torsional stiffness and deal with any amount of hp you care to throw at it.....as long you don't car that the doors don't open. It has about 150 pieces of tubing. If you want doors the frame needs to be closer to 200 lbs and have 3 time the number of tubes (which means 3 times the hours to build) for the same performance. Then a hand laid foam core fiberglass body will be under 100 lbs. You're looking at a 1200-1500 lbs race car...sometimes life is good :)

7. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Ive only driven the car at 3 events so far so I cant really answer that question yet. The car has some massive slicks on it so it sticks Very well. My road 512TR wags its tail on the uphill at the Glen while the race car is totally planted through there & never wags her tail, so far