Racing against the odds in a WW2 Plane | FerrariChat

Racing against the odds in a WW2 Plane

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by NaO, Feb 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NaO

NaO Karting

Apr 23, 2017
    Hey guys and gals. Just came across this really cool mini doc on the speed record with a prop. Thought I’d post it, hope it’s not a repost!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Bob Parks and NürScud like this.
  2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That is one very smooth Mustang. I had dinner once with the Hinton family, nice bunch of people.

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    It looks like the same treatment on this airplane as that done on Miss RJ, race 5. Jim L., aerodynamicist, went through the airplane and meticulously cleaned it up. All gaps were filled and panel protrusions, surface ripples, and misfits were smoothed out. Gun bay doors were bolted shut and gaps filled and smoothed. A longer and more pointed spinner was fitted and the canopy was reversed with the pointy aft end was mounted forward. At a single manifold pressure setting the airplane gained 10 MPH if I remember. The crucial thing was the smoothing of the aircraft 's whetted areas. Looks like the same thing was done with the airplane that Hinton flew.

4. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    https://www.aviationpartners.com/aviation-partners-sets-world-record-without-winglets/

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Wax jobs used to give some of the same benefits in WW-II and Korea. But your crew chief had to really love you.

6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I think that the "Red Baron" that Steve crashed in was formerly named "Miss RJ #5"... same plane?

7. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Always used Lemon Pledge to clean the windscreen and wing/tail surfaces. Easy to get bugs off and gave a nice shine and smooth surface. Also that 'lemon pledge smell';)

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Yep, Terry, I remember that. Como paint was infused with a grainy substance called Syloid 78 to make it dull. It also had the surface quality of fine sandpaper and the drag that went with it. Wax helped a lot to decrease the drag. German paints didn't have the rough surface and the British finally figured out the formula and used it on their airplanes. I recall specs on the Spitfire under-surface, " Sky, Type S " Sky type smooth. Best thing that the USAAF did was to get rid of the weight and drag of the camo paints

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yes but reg # N7715C has been recycled and is on a different airframe now according to Mustang Survivors.