Racing an E55 AMG in the mile | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Racing an E55 AMG in the mile

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by robiferretti, Feb 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    In a test last year, the standard SL55 was quicker to 300kmh than the Murcielago, so yes the Diablo would be the slower than the E55 from around 20mph. On BFG drag TA's, lightly modified and derestricted E55's are capable of mid 11's and a 330+Kmh top end.

2. Z06Kal

Z06Kal Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    THIS post is complete BS you guys are all bench racing at this point. Sorry but bench racing does not work in the real world. The E55/CL55/etc are plenty fast but they are not gods gift to speed by any means. Their motors are quite stout but the car is a freaking land barge at 4100lbs. The ultimate top speed performance may be good thanks to proper gearing, low drag losses and of course its power. But in any head to head acceleration contest it is not going to beat the sports cars mentioned. I'm sure it would do well if everyone raced on 10 mile long straights where the ultimate top speed of each vehicle was the deciding factor of who crosses the finish line but sorry I don't know of anyone who race like this. Now this post has gone to nonsense with comments like "It will spank a SRT viper on the top end... Umm sorry but no the viper is some 700lbs lighter and makes more power with a wayyyy better and flatter power band, not to mention its transmision is going to have less parasitic loss then the slush box in the benz. The best 1/4 mile time I have seen for an E55 is 12.4@116. Granted the e/t will go down with proper tires but the trap speed is an indicator of power.
    The viper here ran http://www.motortrend.com/motor/roadtests/coupe/112_0306_spdtest_quartm_z.jpg 123 in the 1/4. I don't know how the E55 compares to the CL55 given that hte CL55 is a bit heavier but it does also have some 30 more hp. 7mph in the 1/4 is a huge huge difference in top end. Then in a standing mile race (Don't worry nobody here will acutally run a standing mile race in a random encounter anyway) the Viper is still going 3mph faster and is 1.4 seconds ahead. http://www.motortrend.com/motor/roadtests/coupe/112_0306_spdtest_standm_z.jpg 1.4 seconds doesn't like much but at 167mph thats 244 feet per second * 1.4 = 342 in other words a foot ball field and some change in the finish line. Sorry but in my book getting beat after a mile of non stop racing by a foot ball field is quite a loss. 2ndly the murcialago was going even faster at the end of a mile then the Viper. So the E55 is faster then the Viper and the Lambo? So from 170-200mph (now we're racing for miles and miles and miles without lifting the throttle which happens a lot in the real world) the E55 will make up for over a football field loss on the viper and the murcialago and some 5mph defficit from the 1 mile start point? I mean at the 1 mile point its not even GAINING on the Viper and the Murcialago like it is on the Z06 (which is still beating it at the 1 mile marker). BS in the real world the E55 is simply not as fast as everyone here thinks it is racing from their office chairs. From my experiances in actually RACING E55's on the fwy from 60mph I do not find them any faster in stock form then my car in a run up to deep in the tripple digits. In the sub 100mph range there is no contest my car can slap it around with ease as the benz looses some ground right from the inital throttle snap due to the fact its it a 4100lb pig connected to a slush box tranny. You guys should race the cars head to head before you come in making comments that none of the magazine results support.

3. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T

And where exactly did you get this information?

4. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    And where exactly did you get this information?
    Today 12:24 PM

I am not positive but I am fairly certain it was in a British auto magazine (Evo, CAR, Top Gear, etc). The SL55 was quicker then the other cars once rolling. That being said, it makes no difference in this instance as the E55 is racing a C5, not a Lambo or F car. I do not understand why people get so upset about someone posting a car is faster then theirs. There will always be a faster car out there. People need to respect other cars and their capabilties, and take the car for what it is. The E55 is a 4 door family sedan while the C5 is a powerful sports car. Both are great at what they do, but one is not better then the other. The E55 is an amazing machine and if both that and the Z06 were stock, it would be a close race. But apparently, Rob's vette is heavily modified, so it will most likely be an easy win for the C5. We will find out soon enough I guess.

5. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    1. I did not say the E55 was Gods gift to speed, merely that it is faster accelerating after the initial launch than a Diablo and a Murci in response to the previous post. The test I referred to was done at Nardo by Autocar and was also reported in EVO as well as many other journals.
    2. I am not bench racing, I have had my car down the strip against drag slick wearing, heavily modified LS1's and on street rubber, I have not been beaten yet. All I have done is a basically a pulley and ECU upgrade.

The standard E55 has 725NM torque, with a 30% upgrade, as measured on a Dyno Dynamics chassis dyno, the car has around 950nm (700 lb ft) of torque and with a 25% hp increase, again measured on the Dyno, we are talking 595 hp. You are talking one mean 'Vette, to take that on, sure a 600hp+ 'Vette with slicks will win, if driven properly, but don't be so dismissive of the E55.

6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    He means 3.999 or better not less than 3.000 seconds, which should have been stated "you can run in the 3s" not "you can run sub 3 second"...

7. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T

So once again your talking about a modified car, instead of a stock one. Geez is it going to be apples to apples or apples to oranges. If you want to go back on this thread, realize that a Ligenfelter Corvette 427TT can suck the lights out of any car this side of a McLaren F1. I don't know where you get your Dyno numbers from, but perhaps you want to post them.

Enough said on this thread from me, as this is becoming really lame with People stating numbers without backing them up.

8. Z06Kal

Z06Kal Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    700 ft/lbs of rwtq with just a pulley and chip? BS!!!! I'd like to see the dynojet results of that! I hope you have a dyno sheet scanned to prove it By the way I found a dyno of a stock E55 AMG.

http://www.evosport.com/dynos/evo_211e55.jpg

422rwhp/448tq

Your telling me that with a chip and pully you picked up 250ft/lbs? BS that's closer to 60% gains not 30%. By the way SRT vipers are dynoing about 465-470rwhp and weigh some 700lbs less then a E55 so you guys are telling me that a car that is 700lbs heavier but makes 50hp less to the pavement is going to be faster after the initial roll on? BS! BS! BS! no matter what any of these biased euro mags say the numbers simply do not add up to Motortrend/Car&Driver/Road&Trak's numbers... and neither to private dyno comparisons. I raced my z06 when it was bone stock to a Pulley/chip/exhaust E55 and from 60 to 160 it was like 4-5 car lengths ahead and he kept getting the move cause he was jumpy on the throttle. He didn't want to run from a stop after that.

By the way my z06 put down 360rwhp bone stock. 60 shy of the benz but 1000lbs lighter. I have yet to be beaten in a stop light encounter by an E55. Anyone local care to take me up on that? I'm ready to put some money down too.

9. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    The Evosport numbers are RWHP numbers. I stated that my car showed a 30% increase on the dyno. Stock figures are 725nm torque, increase takes it to 950NM . I intentionally did not quote direct RWHP numbers because of the massive debate of different Dyno absolute results. I do before and after on the same dyno's so know whether an improvement has been made or not.
    Please read carefully before casting aspersions in future. lastly BS! BS! BS! your stock Vette is quicker than an E55. Now that is a laugh. NO test anywhere agrees with that FULL STOP. But of course any result that flies in the face of your beliefs has to be wrong, doesn't it?!
    have a look at the torque curve and numbers on an E55, basically flat for 1800rpm to 5000rpm. Compare that to your 'vette, Viper and what ever else you'd like.
    Take the car to the drags and post a slip on the right side of 11 and I'll listen to you. Its not my fault that a 4100lb family four door can beat the ass off most sports cars. Hell it's way quicker than my Gallardo too, but you don't see me crying about it.
    Unlike the other obvious bull****ters on this board I DO have dyno graphs, time slips videos etc etc.

www.ipn.com.au/mbworld/4.mpg
    The sedan in the video is a GMH HSV, Aussie GM version of the E55 that runs a 400hp LS1 as standard, this is a modified one, running slicks and copping some wup ass.

10. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    If you read the posts, he stated that the car has been derestricted, implying it probably has a pulley too. Probably a Renntech kit, as that is the only one available in the states.

11. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

With all this talk of 200mph on highly moded MB or vettes, I sure hope you have some upgrades to the suspension. Wouldn't want to be doing 165+ and find out the car tends to drift around like a sailboat with no keel.

12. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    The E55 comes as standardwith 14.2" discs, 8 pot calipers etc. Above 70mph, the car electronically lowers itself. The car is built to drive at 150mph plus all day as an intercontinental autobahn buster.

Lest anyone start arguing otherwise, I am not saying, suggesting or implying that the E55 is a better sports car than a 'Vette, or any other car for that matter. I am also not staing that it is the fastest drag car around, as that is obviously nonsensical. I am simply responding form my personal experience, on the E55's ability to beat worked LS1's in drag racing environments, which is whhat this thread is about. Not twin turbo 427's, worked Vipers etc. additionally, if I thought the E55 was the be all and end all of automotive kind I wouldn't own other cars.

13. Z06Kal

Z06Kal Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Oh you don't think z06's can run 11's stock? Will guess what..your dead wrong see my links. Oh yea and don't forget that some of these were on the factory tires and everything. So there you go. Lets see any posts with E55's have ran 11's bone stock..especially on the factory tires? WHere is your 11 second time slips? Where is your dyno results with your making 663ft/lbs (900n/m) of rwtq (more then 200rwtq over stock). By the way I only accept Dynojet numbers the standard in the US as dynopak and mustang numbers can be shifted around anyway you want with the software.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?
    s=&threadid=48180&highlight=11.99

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47909&highlight=11s+stock

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27550&highlight=1%2F4+stock+11s

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26085&highlight=1%2F4+stock+11s

14. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Damn it, Rob! What the hell is wrong with you? Can you not see the state of anxiety that we're in. You're killing us here. Call that guy up and tell him to meet you at midnight tonight and you're going to settle this. When he asks what's the big hurry you tell him that you have managed to wreak havoc with many lives because of this. There are people, many people, that cannot concentrate on their daily tasks because of this impending showdown and you do not want that responsibility.

Okay, now get back on here as soon as it's done and tell us what happened. If you can upload video that would be great.

15. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    My car DOES NOT NOR NEVER HAS put out 663lb ft of torque at the rear wheels. NOR HAVE I EVER CLAIMED THIS.
    I said that I have seen an increase of 30% over stock at the rear wheels, specifically to avoiud the argument of different dyno numbers.
    So to avoid confusion, I have a base run on a dyno then various runs on the same dyno comparing the results of each mod. The final number is around a 20% increase in peak HP and 30% increase in torque. I have stated this THREE times already.

The links you have posted are for cars running at extreme cold temperatures, with BFG's, icing etc, not "bone stock" as you contend and only ONE has posted a time slip. The concenus from Z06 owners in the links you have provided is that most stock Z06's run 12.5-12.8 stock and they are all keen to know how these times are possible.

There are posts around for MB owners who have got into 11's on 265 rear tires the car came with, not sticky 315 wide drag rubber in the conditions these guys are quoting and with the E55, all you have to do is hit the gas, no getting the clutch just right, worrying about missed changes etc.

BTW Dynojet numbers are about 10% higher than any other known dyno on the market.

You win the Z06 is the fastest badest car in the world. Happy now?

16. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Sorry for the ouburst. I think it is fair to say that driven properly, a standard Z06 Vette and a standard E55 are pretty much line ball. The E55 can fairly easily and cheaply be upgraded with an extra 100+ hp with a chip and pulley kit.

17. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Both are great cars for different purposes. I thought the M5 was a rocket for a Sedan, well not next to these E55's.

18. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Hey, I just want to point out besides the yelling and arguments this is a really good thread. We need more of these, with everyone sharing a opinion on the matter. It makes for a good exciting convo. I enjoy coming home to read what is new.

19. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    I'm glad that we can be a little more civil. If you want my honest opinion, after hearing Rob's vette, I don't think the AMG is going to win. I could still be very wrong though. I just wanted to make sure the Merc got the credit it deserves.

20. VanCooper

VanCooper Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2002
    LOL, I've been paying alot of attention to this thread because my father put a deposit down on a 2004 E55 that the local MB dealership has in stock, he's slated to take delivery on friday but he's having second thoughts since the main reason for geting this car isn't only the power but the fact that my mother can drive this one. A couple of other test drives are in order tomorrow but I'm rooting for the E55 at this point

21. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I like the underdog. Go MB!

~speaking as an owner of another underdog marque~

Sunny

22. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Do you mean to say E55 when you said SL55?

Motor Trend ran 12.39@116mph in the new E55. They ran, I believe 12.0@121 in the Murcie. 5mph in the 1/4 mile is a BIG difference. The Murcie makes 570hp (more than 100 more than the E55) and weighs over a couple of hundred pounds less. The E55 is going to get it's butt handed to it by a Murcielago, and by a Diablo too. I also believe a Viper GTS is going to beat it, and a Viper SRT is going to eat it alive.

The E55 is a nice car, but it's a few ticks slower than a Z06, and also slower than a Viper (GTS or SRT). It's not the mythical speed demon people are making it out to be. I don't know if overenthusastic dealers are writing verbal checks their clients can't cash on the street, or maybe customers are victims of wishful thinking, but a car that can run a solid 12.4@116 and do it all day long is not something a half-decent driver in a Viper, Diablo, or Murcielago has to worry about.

23. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Interesting comments, not backed up by real world results and tests. The Merci lost to the SL55 (which is slower, same power but heavier than E55) in Autocar test to 300kmh. E55 is faster in tests than Viper and Z06. Real world drag strip results are even better. I concede that a well driven Viper/Z06 may match the E55, but it is a very even competion at best, with most magazine test rating both cars .2-.4 sec slower than the E55 down the quarter mile. Z06's run 12.6-12.8 in test on roads, rather than a drag strip, whereas the E55 runs a 12.4. On a drag strip with much better traction the results for both are correspondingly better. Don't count the street race against a limp wristed exec who has never really driven in anger as a reflection of the E55 capabilities. My E55 makes both my Gallardo and a 575M I test drove look and feel slow in comparison.
    I just pulled out the car and Driver Super Tuner Challenge for both 2001 and 2002. On both counts, my chipped and pulleyed E55 beats every car there including the Hennesy Twin Turbo and Apex Vipers, Lingenfelter twin turbo, Mallet and Z06 Corvettes. The more I research this subject, the more I realise you guys simply don't have a clue what you are talking about.
    Unlike you guys I am not bench racing, I own the car, have had it on the drag strip and have made 500+HP LS1's and LS6's eat humble pie.

24. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti

OK no offense here, but your chipped and pullied E55 is no match for a 1000 hp viper or a Lingenfelter TT I would have to see proof of that! In the world of sports cars the E55 is a fast daily driver. I have yet to see it running against the Prodrive Ferrari, C5-R, etc.

25. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Please, I hope your kidding. Your saying your E55 could hang with a Lingenfelter TT or a Viper. The Lingenfelter TT is the fastest streetcar evertested for Motor Trend (or one of the other magazines cant remember right now) 0-60 in like 1.97 seconds and it dosnt stop pulling ever.