Racing career of #2643GT Esperimentale | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Racing career of #2643GT Esperimentale

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Boudewijn, Aug 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    hi i posted some info on this car in the "can anyone identify this car' post above. i would very much like to hear more of the post 1962 history of this car . who and when owned it, when was the restoration done and by whome and where the car is today. fill us in. thanks george tongascrew

2. R33

R33 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    Kent,UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Creed
    Looks more like Bridgehampton

3. Philmodelcar

Philmodelcar Karting

May 19, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Philippe
    I'm trying to figure out the exact color of the car during Le Mans 1961 (with the spoiler...) ?
    After reading this thread and some other documents it appears to me that the car was in the same color as the restored version...Am'I right ?
    I'm puzzled as (I know it is not the most reliable source) but all scale models manufacturers have represented the Le Mans 61 car with a darker shade of metalised blue color....
    Does this mean that they're all wrong ?

I must admit that the blue used for the restoration of the car looks to me too shiny, to deep.

What do you think ?

thanks
    Phil

4. till.a.fischer

till.a.fischer Karting

Oct 18, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Till Fischer
    In an older thread the owner told us he was sure that the current blue is very close to the color she ran at Le Mans.

As far as I can remember he said that they sanded down to the original layer to check the color...
    Use the search function, maybe in the older threads.

Never believe a Model manufacturer...
    Sometimes one of them is wrong and the others copy.

Till

5. Olimpi

Olimpi Karting

Sep 26, 2004
    Middleburg, VA
    Full Name:
    David D. Olimpi
    The photo submitted by "121LM" was taken in Turn Three at Bridgehampton in the fall of 1967 (or spring of 1968). The car was in the inventory of Algar Enterprises, where it languished for about two years before being sold to Gerry Sutterfield (for $4,500, if my memory serves me.) The photo was used as a magazine advertisement (which I have somewhere in the attic) for a motor oil company which had rented the car from Algar. I believe Mike Tillson was driving it the day of the filming. Mike later "borrowed" the competition lap belts from the car (because Stirling Moss had driven in them.) They eventually found their way into Mike's ex-Targa Florio Lancia Fulvia 1.3 HF. (..which I subsequently used for driver's schools prior to obtaining an I.M.S.A. license.)

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    This car is sooo gorgeous in red ..WOW .

Any pic of it nowadays ?

7. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #33 GIOTTO, Sep 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. model builder

model builder Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Edward Cervo
    Its true you can't always go by the model companies but the restorations are in many cases far worse with there research. I NEVER trust the restored versions.

However in this case I think they got the color correct on this car. I think the model guys have got this cars color incorrect.

9. Sire Bruno de Losckley

Aug 1, 2006
    belle photo au pesage, Giotto merci.
    as tu fait un bon voyage de retour?

10. VRM

VRM Karting

Oct 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Steve D
    #36 VRM, Sep 14, 2007
    Well, I'm going to disagree with the car being painted in Walker blue. Rob walker painted his team cars in a very dark blue that looks black in black and white photos. I am very sure that the car was not Walker blue in any of the photos posted so far in this thread. Here is Walker himself in the very dark blue 2119GT. Clive Beechams 2735GT is the same colour.

Steve
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #37 Boudewijn, Sep 14, 2007
    This is from a picture from Le Mans 1961 and it is a bit grainy and maybe not that reliable for colour, but it was dark blue, though not as dark as the blue Rob Walker used to paint his cars with.

12. wpbekker

wpbekker Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Wouter Bekker
    I have this book too. Number 100 to be precise. Bought it at De Slegte in Rotterdam. A stunning find because at 'De Boekenwurm' in Hilversum it was awaited in eager back in the nineties! De Boekenwurm doesn't exist anymore. Today it is Autoland. Nice shop!

13. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    I knew the Boekenwurm as well, but I think it was even in the 80-ies when it ceased to exist.
    Incredible you found it at the Slegte. Must have been one of those rare superbargains.

14. wpbekker

wpbekker Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Wouter Bekker
    Klopt, het was in de jaren tachtig. Ze zaten aan de Groest. Daarna werd het Autoland aan de Gijsbrecht van Amstelstraat alwaar ik in de loop der jaren helaas een heleboel fraaie autoboeken heb laten liggen. Het boek over 2643 kostte bij het uitkomen geloof ik 850 gulden. Ik moet het nog steeds eens laten vertalen.

Vriendelijke groet,
    Wouter Bekker

15. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    Ik heb zelfs 2 van gekocht omdat ik het niet kon verkroppen dat in de eerste een scheurtje in een bladzijde zat. Het meeste heb ik tot nu toe uitgegeven aan een Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato boek: destijds 1200 gulden (heb ik er toevallig ook 2 van).

16. wpbekker

wpbekker Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Wouter Bekker
    Welke nummers heb je (over 2643)? Een groot nadeel van het boek is overigens het feit dat de spotvernis foto's een beetje aanpikken aan de overliggende pagina's. Kleine witte puntjes op de foto's zijn daarvan het resultaat.

17. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    Ik heb 547 en 722. Er zijn meer boeken met dergelijke plakneigingen: hoe beter de fotografische papierdruk hoe meer plakneiging.
    groetjes (we moeten maar niet te lang nederlands converseren op deze plek)

18. wpbekker

wpbekker Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Wouter Bekker
    Okay, so you are familiar with the sticky problem. I hope it doesn't reduce its value to much.
    By the way, 722 Is a nice number when the book is about a SLR.

Best regards,
    Wouter

19. VRM

VRM Karting

Oct 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Steve D
    #45 VRM, Sep 17, 2007
    Good photo!
    If you look at the colour on the top edge of the rear fender on your photo it looks a bit more like the colour it is painted now. Much of the rest of the body seems to be in shadows. The current colour reacts similarly in changing light situations to the colour in the black and white photos. Though the LeMans colour may have been a bit darker that what is currently on the car.
    But hey - if you sand down and see the actual paint - that is pretty telling. Is it possible that the colour may have lightened up (though blues tend to be pretty stable), or maybe soaked in some of the lighter Scuderia Bear blue metallic toners?

Steve

20. Wouter Melissen

Wouter Melissen Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Wouter Melissen
  21. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #47 Boudewijn, Sep 17, 2007
    This is one that has been enlarged being a very small part of a overview pic of the starting grid in 1961. Here the colour has a lighter shade of blue indeed.

22. hwurl

hwurl Rookie

Aug 30, 2004
    I'm glad to see that the car is drawing those enthusiastic juices out of all of you, though I'm a little puzzled with the controversy of the color. As I said before, I sanded down through all the old layers of paint and this was the color on top of the primer. It seems that should be the end of the story.

We had high hopes for the accuracy of this restoration and were very relieved to find the original paint under the door striker. At that point the only color photo that was available to us is the one that Boudewijn has posted with the car on the starting grid. If you have seen the original of this photo in the LeMans yearbook, you know that it is about 2x3". This would have made color choice near impossible.

You may also notice that there was a red stripe down the side of the car that we did not incude (shown in the photo of the car up on LeMan's scrutineering lift.) We only had written evidence of this stripe when the car was painted and I was not comfortable putting it on there if I didn't have enough photographic evidence to do the job correctly. I hope to remedy this flaw at some point, but it has lost it importance now that the car is being used on road and track.

Thanks for keeping the thread going. A couple of pictures that have popped up are new to me. If you have more, please post them!

Oh, one more thing. Steve, (user "VRM"), I'm interested in how you came to have the same username as the acronym that our company goes by. Strange coincidence?? What does it stand for in your case?

23. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    #49 Bertocchi, Oct 8, 2007
  24. VRM

VRM Karting

Oct 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Steve D
    I wasn't sure about the red stripe. It looked a bit odd in the photos, and I really couldn't account for the strange shadow if the car was just blue. That makes a lot more sense now. Thanks for that.

VRM stands for Vintage Racing Miniatures. I'm a bit of a model car nut. Any chance of purchasing some of the blue paint you used to paint the car with? I prefer lacquer, but I can work with anything.
    Thanks!
    Steve