Radiator cooling fan quandary | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Radiator cooling fan quandary

Discussion in '308/328' started by bl10, Sep 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Pretty much all of the 308 cooling problems you read about concern the condition where the car is stationary or near so, crawling in heavy traffic, on a hot day but everything is perfectly normal when the car is moving. So it's an airflow issue, not anything else. When the car is not moving it needs the fans to move air through the radiator. In my opinion the main reason the 308 is so marginal in this respect is due to the spare tire tub blocking nearly 1/3 of the outflow side of the radiator. It seems that the 328 solved this problem by mounting the radiator at an angle so that it does not rest up against the tub and mounting the fans as pullers on the rear. I think the Mondial also has just a single puller fan and we don't hear much about them overheating either. Unfortunately this is not something that can be easily rectified. There was a thread by someone here who was doing it and it was a lot of modification. You could remove the forward section of the tub. I know that most 308's have the original spare which has never been used so you could just leave it in the garage I suppose. Removing the tub section however is a bit more involved than just a few screws but if you did you'd be free to mount your fans on either side and probably increase the size as well.

But I understand that not that many people want to do any invasive type of modification to their car myself probably included.

2. bl10

bl10 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Chatsworth, CA
    Full Name:
    Barry Leavengood
    Thanks for all the comments. We took the car (308 GTS) on an extended drive Saturday which included both highway and heavy traffic. The results were the same as before, no problem at speed but engine temp gradually creeped up to what I would guess was 210 degrees in traffic. (almost to 1st mark after 195) but would cool down at speed.
    So Sunday I pulled the cheap 10" fans out, cleaned up the stock fans including lubing and hitting the armatures with sand paper while in drill press. Reinstalled them checking fan to condenser clearance very carefully but it turns out there is very little fore/aft adjustment as the fans hit the upper cross brace if moved more than 1/4 inch away from the condenser.
    Took it out for a drive yesterday in the heat. In traffic it never got to 195. Even idling for extended period of time with AC on (like 15 min) it still didn't get to 195. So I'm just going to leave the stock fans in for now.

Thanks
    Barry

waymar and thorn like this.