360 - Radiator fan not kicking in | FerrariChat

360 Radiator fan not kicking in

Discussion in '360/430' started by KILOCHARLIE, Apr 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KILOCHARLIE

KILOCHARLIE Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    I have an issue with the main radiator fan not working and hoped someone could help. My local mechanic has tested the fan itself with 12v and it works just fine. I've been passed to an auto electrician who states he can't see where the wire to the fan is coming from and therefore needs to book me in to remove wheel, wheel liner etc and trace it back. I've checked the main fuse for the fan and it is fine.

Can anyone help at all as to what it could be? I've read previously a thermoresistor or something is a common fault but would this not affect the fan working with 12v's directly linked up?

Grateful for any advice.

2. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    For one thing, make sure there is no air trapped in the coolant lines. Follow the procedure for bleeding the air out of the system.

3. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

possible thermostat stuck closed. remove the thermostat, put it into a bowl of boiling water and see if it expands. If it doesn't, the that's the culprit.

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Have a look on Eurospares web site- from the drawing of the radiator the temperature switch is item 9 mounted about 1/3 way down the radiator body- short that out and see if the fan starts. New switch listed about £25

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    How is that stopping a rad fan from starting ? It is controlled by a temp switch or am i missing something here.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  6. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

thermostat closed means there's no hot coolant going to the rad, hence the fan "thinks" it is not hot enough to be turned on.

I'm 360 Canuck and billy.gif like this.
  7. KILOCHARLIE

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    Thanks guys, forget how much I love this website.

Mike: is the temperature switch accessible from the back of the rad, i.e. From the wheel liner? Or does the bumper have to come off? I'm guessing this switch controls the off/on function of the fan so therefore there should always be 12v going to the fan and this switch completes the circuit and turns the fan on when hot enough?

24000rpm: I'm assuming to remove the thermostat I need to remove the cabin access panel? Does the stat just unbolt or is it a tricky job?

8. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

it is easier to remove the cabin access panels FOR ME.
    but for tiny handed people, it is possible to lean over the engine and do it on the top. I myself is average build and i am fearing i'll drop some tools down to the floor pan so i didn't bother. extremely careful people with the right tools could do it, i'd say.

there are 4 bolts for a dome like cover . remove those 4 bolts and then remove the "dome" and u'll see the thermostat. there are 2 rubber gaskets u need to deal with. One on top and one underneath the thermostat. Be prepared for off-time for your car because i've seen 2 of my cars' gaskets completely destroyed upon removing. so buy these 2 gaskets beforehand even if your thermostat is good. cheap stuff. buy 2 of each gasket if you could. Installing these gaskets correctly could be a little challenging because you can't see it very comfortably when installing, you only kinda "peek" at it. so if the gasket is a little off center, then, you got coolant leaking. I myself re-installed 3 times before I made it right. But i could be clumsy. It depends on your skill and IQ i believe. LOL

9. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

the switch is accessible from the wheel liner ( front). Last time I checked eurospares, this part was discontinued from ferrari, so that tells u something: it rarely fails( i am not sure though, i've 4x 360s and they never fail me all these years) . Hence the thermostat theory. my thermostat got stuck closed 2 times on 2 cars and my fans won't turn on just like yours. I tested the fan by using a 12v too, just like you did, and I got the same result.

10. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

there's actually a simple test you can do

when your car's coolant temp on your dash is over 70,80 ,90 celcius, see if your radiator is hot. If it is hot, then you got a switch or fan problem, if it is cold, it is your thermostat or u need to bleed the coolant.

how to tell if it is cold or hot?

1. temperature measuring laser gun.
    2. use your hand , need to remove the front bumper or you have decently long finger to touch the edge of the radiator through the front grille. ( my grille is broken so i just get in there easier than anyone else)

i used the 2nd method.

bottom line: if your radiator is cold, fan won't turn on, no matter what.

be careful not to overheat your car. Let somebody sit in the car and watch the coolant temp. turn engine off when its over 105C or maybe 110C

11. KILOCHARLIE

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    Thanks, good tip, I'll check that way. I'm guessing I can also check by touching the back of the rad thru the wheel liner. Or even just the piping at the back of the luggage compartment (my luggage liner is currently removed) as those pipes shouldn't have any coolant flowing through them if the stat isn't working right?

Also to rule out the rad switch, how does that system work? Is there 12v constant going to the switch, then when hot enough it completes the circuit and then sends 12v to the main socket on the rad?

Thanks again.

12. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Have you checked the relay? Stuck on mine a couple of times.

13. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It can be as simple as a relay with pitted contacts. I would bench test it.

14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I dont have a 360, i was looking at the diagrams on Eurospares. If you can get to the 2 wires on the switch you can open or short them to see if the fan runs. The switch may be wired to a relay somewhere so that is the next thing to check if playing with the thermo wires does not help. You know the fan works on 12 volts so it just the control side

15. KILOCHARLIE

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    Thanks all. Another hour trying to find my problem today. Relay checks out fine, no issue there. Tried to find the temp control switch but there's simply not one on the rad. Does the left hand rad not have one and is just controlled by one on the right hand rad??

Eurospares schematic just shows one rad with the temp switch on it.

16. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I didn't look at the schematic, but it makes sense just having one temp sensor if both radiators are mounted in series. You can check the temp sensor by doing a continuity check with a meter and sensor soaking in boiling water, or what ever temperature the sensor supposed to kick in at.

17. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

on one rad only

18. KILOCHARLIE

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    Thanks all. Found the temp switch on the other rad. It has three wires going to it so unsure which to short out. There is also a "thermo resistor" on this rad which I'm guessing could be related to my issues.

Think it's probably best I find an auto electrician unless you guys have any other suggestions.

19. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

have you measured the temperature at the radiator by your hand?

20. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    this might be of help: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/360-cooling-fan-operation.364231/page-2

21. KILOCHARLIE

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    Sorry for the delay in replying. Yes, both rads are hot when engine warms up ruling out the thermostat

22. KILOCHARLIE

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
  23. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

i did an experiment myself couple days earlier. in the trunk there are 2 relays that are in charge of the fans.
    if i short those relays respectively, the respective fan will be on ( key on 2 position)

also pull out these 2 relays and use a battery or any 12v source to hear if there's a click
    try that perhaps?

there are 3 fuse boxes in line at the LH side of the trunk if you open the liners.
    open the topmost (rear-most) fuse box , u'll see those relays