Radiator R&R | FerrariChat

Radiator R&R

Discussion in '612/599' started by More-Power-Man, Feb 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. More-Power-Man

Nov 13, 2017
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kelly Crawford
    I have a 2008 599 GTB and I discovered a small coolant leak at a weld on the side of the radiator. Does anyone have experience removing and replacing the radiator? Any cautions or suggestions that would same me time and money would be appreciated.

2. More-Power-Man

Nov 13, 2017
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kelly Crawford
    Update:
    For the fellow DIYers... It took me about 2.5 hours to remove the radiator with only a couple of frustrating parts. The radiator side support mount is the hardest part, and that alone took me about an hour to remove the two so I could pull the radiator out the top. I think if I had to do it again I would look into removing the headlights to have better access to the bolt that goes through the mount to the side tank of the radiator. Now the next step to see if my radiator shop can repair the leak.

3. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Should be fixable I’m sure if you can find someone who’s good with tig.

Does it look like pitting or cracking that’s caused the leak? If it’s cracked, there’s always the chance that it’ll fail again, as the welding will increase the local hardness.

4. More-Power-Man

Nov 13, 2017
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kelly Crawford
    It's not pitted but it appears to be the weld between the core and tank.

I can't find the coolant spec for the 599 and the closest I'm getting is the BMW blue or Zerex G48 or G05, do you have any suggestions?

5. EP328

EP328 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Ed
    ‘09 Owners manual “GLYCOSHELL at 50%”

6. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Glycoshell is the same as g48 I think?

If there is a crack, then I would reccomend it’s burred out fully prior to welding. Last thing you want to do is seal up the “hole”, and still have traces of the crack embedded in the weld.

7. More-Power-Man

Nov 13, 2017
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kelly Crawford
    I am ordering a new radiator...

Another question on a related topic. I found online that the cooling system holds 19 liters (5.1 gal) of coolant. I was only able to get about half of that out when removing the radiator and I even removed the thermostat housing and blew air from my shop vac through the system. Where is the rest of the coolant hiding, or is the 19 liters wrong and it's somewhere around 10 liters?

8. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Probably a good bit is hiding in the heater core & associated piping, which, BTW is also key to getting all the air bled out of the system when you put your replacement radiator in. Set the car's heater on full hot, or highest temperature, and even block off some of the air flow to the radiator as you want the coolant thermostat to be fully open after the car warms up. By putting the heat on in the car, you can be assured of coolant circulating through the heater core, and (hopefully) purging the air out of that system. I also like to elevate the front end of the car a bit, or park on an upward slope, and try to force the air to the highest point in the system where it can be bled out.

9. More-Power-Man

Nov 13, 2017
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kelly Crawford
    I was guessing that the heater core may be holding some and that is why I pumped air through the system. I don't want to mix coolant brands or types, so any suggestions on how to get the coolant out of the heater core?

10. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

You could get the new radiator installed, all piped up, etc. Fill the system with purified water (some like distilled, I like demin, RO type water), start the car, and put the heat on as I mentioned before, then just flush it with a commercial coolant flushing machine or a DIY adapter that replaces the radiator cap. You'd have the radiator drain cock open and be draining/flushing as you go. Then when you're happy all the old stuff is gone, let the system drain, close the drain cock, then add the appropriate amount of new coolant and call it good.

The Airlift tool and others like it are very handy for evacuating/refilling the system also, but again, the car needs to be hot, and the heat turned on high to get the stuff that's trapped in the heater core and piping.

11. More-Power-Man

Nov 13, 2017
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kelly Crawford
    That would work if this were not a Ferrari 599. There is no radiator drain cock or radiator cap. The lowest hose on the radiator is not at the bottom but about midway up the radiator and that causes a problem with draining all of the coolant without removing the radiator or turning the entire car upside down. Even if I did flush with distilled water, now I have the problem of getting rid of all the water in order to get a correct coolant mixture ratio. Thanks for the input but unless you have actually performed this job on a 599 you may not be able to fully understand the process.

12. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    599 is obviously a different engine to the 612, but the older v12 engine has a coolant bleed screw on the water pump body. Not sure if the 599 engine has a similar setup, but it’s likley that it has a bleed port somewhere.

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The WSM calls for removing the inlet and outlet pipes from the waterpump to drain the coolant. There is a bleed screw, but it is on the heater inlet pipe. There are procedures for filling the system cold and "dynamic" with the engine running..

14. More-Power-Man

Nov 13, 2017
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kelly Crawford
    Yes, I'm aware of that and thank you for your input. What I am looking for is someone that has actually done this on a 599. After taking out the radiator, only then was I only able to turn the radiator sideways, upside down, and repeating this in order to get another gallon of coolant out of it. Also, by opening the heater core bleed screw, and turning the heat to full on with the ignition on, I was able to get another 1/2 gallon out. As of now I am still about a gallon short of the 19 liters/ 5.1 gallons the system is supposed to hold. The WSM is limited to the information on this procedure, so that is why I'm looking for someone that has experience with completely draining the cooling system and recovering somewhere around the 19 liters / 5 gallons of coolant, so when adding the new coolant, the types/ brands are not mixed and have the proper ratio.

15. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    William M (B.J.) Lyon, Jr.

Can anyone with experience on the 599 radiator coolant purge chime in to help answer the question?